Tags:
[OP]
Oct 15, 2011
11 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Help me buy DSLR

Hello,

I am planning to buy my first DSLR. From all my research, I am falling more towards Nikon D5600/D5500 or D7500/D7200. I do not want to spend more than $700. I can wait til Boxing day.
What I need from you guys is bit guidance to decide which DSLR to pick, should I look into other options than the models I have mentioned above?

At this point, I am thinking to buy used body and get a prime lens (Nikon 50mm f/1.8D) to begin with.

Also, what are the good store to get good DSLR deals? So far I have only known BestBuy, Amazon and Henry's.

What else do I need to know to get my first DSLR?

Thanks
18 replies
Apr 7, 2015
150 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto (GTA)
Hey .. I am in a similar boat, but I am leaning towards getting a Canon and essentially want to get 80d. It was a choice between 5600/7500/70d/80d/77d/t7i/a6300/a6500

I think used is probably the best way to go and there are 3 stores that I usually check:
1. Henry's Camera
2. Downtowncamera
3. Vistek
4. BestBuy as you have mentioned as well

Also, check in during Black Friday sale (if there is one).
My research basically concluded with, buy a not so beat up used body and then buy a good lens. If you do buy a used body, some people recommended going to an actual camera shop rather than like BestBuy or Staples because there are some users out there who say they don't trust buying demo model since anyone in the store can like ruin it and stuff.
Feb 12, 2017
10 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary
I think a D5600 is a good first DSLR, if you can get it for a price you like. A used D7200 would be an advantage if you want two dedicated exposure dials (instead of menus or multifunction dials), greater durability outdoors, an LCD top plate for tripod shooting, or compatibility with D-series or even older lenses. I doubt anybody would sell a D7500 for $700.

A 50mm lens is the beginning of the telescopic range for the DX sensor cameras you listed; it's a bit limiting unless you only shoot far away subjects and enlarged views (big closeups). I would suggest finding a deal on a Nikon 35mm lens instead of a 50mm. 35mm on DX is the equivalent of 50mm on full frame, providing a "standard" field of view for general purpose shooting. You can go for the latest Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G; older Nikon lenses like the 35mm f/2 D require a screw-drive motor in the camera which is only built into the D7200 and higher models. 35mm is my favorite lens on my Nikon DX DSLR.

Zoom lens are practical for landscape shooting, group photos, and add variety to the look of your photos. Don't pass up a good deal if one comes bundled with a camera.

Kevin
Nov 28, 2011
675 posts
178 upvotes
Markham
I would avoid Best Buy because they are known to sell returned items as new - sometimes stuff is missing (happened to me twice)!

Go with the first 3 the above poster recommended.
Apr 7, 2015
150 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto (GTA)
bartium wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 1:13 pm
I would avoid Best Buy because they are known to sell returned items as new - sometimes stuff is missing (happened to me twice)!

but wouldn't they need to specify as Open Box or Refurb?
I know we have a couple of Hot Threads before here for a6000 at 580 open box and everyone there said it was very YMMV
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6753 posts
972 upvotes
Do a search in the Photography Forum, all of post with suggestions. Don't ignore Mirrorless which is the hottest class of camera, beating out entry level DSLR.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11469 posts
1108 upvotes
Kanata
D5x00 Nikon series do not have in-body motor, so you need af-s/af-p lenses if you want autofocus. The 50mm f/1.8D does not AF on D5x00 series, it will on D7x00 and up. Or you can get the 50mm f/1.8G which does AF on all nikon cameras.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1668 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bartium wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 1:13 pm

I hate to tell you this but most retailers do the same thing when they can. The difference is that the better retailers police it better by ensuring either the previous owner returns everything (all accessories) and it's in perfect condition OR the retailer replaces the accessories that are missing. Retail margins can be at times very slim so you can't expect them to offer easy return policies and only sell perfectly new product. Most returns go right back on the shelf.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9842 posts
4227 upvotes
Southern Ontario
DSLRs aren't fun for most people due to their size. If you get into lenses, plan to take it out a lot and travel, you got a heavy bag with a clunky body and bigger lenses than a lighter mirrorless setup.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1668 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 4:16 pm
DSLRs aren't fun for most people due to their size. If you get into lenses, plan to take it out a lot and travel, you got a heavy bag with a clunky body and bigger lenses than a lighter mirrorless setup.
The same argument can be said about smart phones vs. mirrorless cameras - just one more thing to carry around so why would you since you already carry your phone?

At the end of the day, it all depends on the OP and what they are willing buy and carry around.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9842 posts
4227 upvotes
Southern Ontario
craftsman wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 7:01 pm
The same argument can be said about smart phones vs. mirrorless cameras - just one more thing to carry around so why would you since you already carry your phone?

At the end of the day, it all depends on the OP and what they are willing buy and carry around.
Re-read what you said and think about the limitations as you go from smartphone, to 1" sensor point & shoot, to interchangeable lens DSLR/ML.

Notice I put DSLR/ML in the same category. Do you think it's easy to focus stack, get true shallow DoF with real bokeh, use CPL/ND's, or shoot extreme wide and far with a smartphone? Things you can do both with a DSLR and ML.

True, I'm willing to carry around one of my work 5DIV's and 70-200 f/2.8ii casually, that's unusual (I did it at my kid's X country, only one other guy out of hundreds of parents did the same as he's a pro I know) but tell me anyone wouldn't want to carry something lighter that does the same in the most common lighting scenarios?

Pretty much like the difference here, in fact the one on the right has 300mm and the left is only max 200mm:

I'm talking experience where OP has none.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1668 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I look at it from the point of view that the DSLR is still at the top of the pile in terms of flexibility/functionality/quality albeit at a larger size and weight than the other two with mirrorless in the middle ground and smart phones coming up the rear. I don't view the mirrorless set up as being able to handle the same situations as a DSLR especially if we are talking about a full size sensor and lenses so my statement is actually consistent with my views.

If you look at DXOMark's comparison of the two cameras in your picture - the Nikon D810 and the Olympus OM-D E-M1, you would see that there is a marked difference in quality and functionality of the two products. The Olympus scores an overall rating of 80 while the Nikon is up at 97 and is better by a wide margin in all categories. To put it into perspective, a score of 80 is the same score a Nikon D7000 (Launched Sept 2010) or D5100 (Launched April 2011) got when it was rated by DXOMark.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6753 posts
972 upvotes
If you compare D850 vs A7, your argument may be in reverse... A mirrorless A7RII still has an obvious size advantage but it also scores as high as Nikon 850 at 98 vs 100 and the newer A7RIII is likely going to beat the D850.

Honestly, there is no right or wrong answer but the mirrorless has a lot going for it, such as price, size & weight.
craftsman wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 12:10 am
If you look at DXOMark's comparison of the two cameras in your picture - the Nikon D810 and the Olympus OM-D E-M1, you would see that there is a marked difference in quality and functionality of the two products. The Olympus scores an overall rating of 80 while the Nikon is up at 97 and is better by a wide margin in all categories. To put it into perspective, a score of 80 is the same score a Nikon D7000 (Launched Sept 2010) or D5100 (Launched April 2011) got when it was rated by DXOMark.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9842 posts
4227 upvotes
Southern Ontario
craftsman wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 12:10 am
...I don't view the mirrorless set up as being able to handle the same situations as a DSLR especially if we are talking about a full size sensor and lenses so my statement is actually consistent with my views.

What situations would those be?
Are you suggesting the OP buy a full frame DSLR?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6454 posts
1668 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
For the OP question, the situations will really depend on what the OP wants to do with the equipment now and into the future.

The OP's budget won't allow for a full frame system and since he is looking for an '1st higher end camera' (with smart phones being the lower end - I think we can all agree on that one), they really should start with an entry level body (such as a D3300 or such) and a good lens or three to start with. As they get more comfortable with it, they can always upgrade just the body to get additional features they might be lacking. Too many people 'buy too much' camera for their needs and never fully utilize the functionality or capability of the product.

NOTE> that the OP has provided only limited information - we don't know too much about their use case, we don't know how much they know about photography (or how much they want to learn about it), nor their motivation to get a 'better' camera in the first place.