• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2011 9:40 pm
Tags:
None
May 19, 2006
208 posts
6 upvotes

Help me do Skype on TV (htpc setup)?

Hey guys. I have an HTPC setup in my living room on a 60 inch tv. I was wondering if there are any webcam/video conferencing solutions out there that cater to HTPC setups? Ideally it needs to also be able to pickup sound quite well in a modest sized living room...but if i need to get an external mic, i can do that too.

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
4787 posts
993 upvotes
Kanata
How many people will be using it at the same time? If it's just one person, you can buy a webcam and a wireless BT headset. How much are you willing to spend?
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
[OP]
May 19, 2006
208 posts
6 upvotes
It will be more than 1 person at a time...family speaking to family overseas...but can do 1 at a time for sound if need be. Willing to spend no more than $200 after tax. Ideally in the ballpark of $100.

edit: Ideally we'd all be sitting on the couch "talking" to the tv. The distance from the couch to the tv is about 7-8 feet.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3329 posts
382 upvotes
Valleywood
There are new webcams for TVs that include the Skype software.

These webcams include an omnidirectional, longer range microphone and are different than the standard desktop webcam.

Perhaps you can hunt down one of these TV-webcams that can be used with your HTPC. (You didn't mention Windows, so this may be another hurdle.)

If a TV-webcam can't be found, then just experiment with a standard webcam, but look for a conference table microphone, such as the MXL AC404 USB. (Note that this particular model has a 6' USB cable and that users have posted issues with USB hubs to extend the reach. No comments on a simple USB extension cable, but this can be checked with the manufacturer.)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2636 upvotes
Vancouver
+1 for this. Skype with good quality video on the big screen really makes a difference for having a remote family get-together.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
1850 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
make sure to buy a webcam with wide angle lens like Logitech C910.
× < >