None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 25, 2007
797 posts
42 upvotes
Richmond Hell

Help me get th curry smell out of my leather couch

I bought a couch on craigslist. When I got it home I noticed a strong curry smell, it's coming from this leather couch. Is there a safe way of removing the snell from the couch? And because the couch is so big, my whole hous is beginning to smell like it.
Pleas help
signature removed for being offensive
48 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
169 upvotes
Ozone generator? One should know what they are doing before using it!

but seriously, I would dump the sofa.... I was riding with a contractor for 2.5hrs with curry smell, drives me nut...
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1290 posts
93 upvotes
Leave it in the backyard outside overnight. (hoping you don't live in a sketchy area)
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2236 posts
273 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
fromunda kid wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 12:32 pm
i bought a couch on craigslist. When i got it home i noticed a strong curry smell, it's coming from this leather couch. Is there a safe way of removing the snell from the couch? And because the couch is so big, my whole hous is beginning to smell like it.
Pleas help
lmao
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6089 posts
1053 upvotes
Mississauga
I purchased a home with a curry smell, we painted every room in the house, left the windows open even during rain, steam cleaned every carpet then steam mopped the hardwood and tile. There were no drapes in the home and it still took 6 months to get ride of most of the smell.

The only advise I can give you is, either get a pro leather cleaner and keep cleaning it over and over till the smell starts to go away or have it professionally cleaned. In my case the home was one year old and still after major attempts it still took a whole year till it all went away with windows left open during the summer months.

I'm not sure how strong the smell is but didn't you notice it when you picked it up to transport it home or atleast when you sat in it to try it out?

Good luck.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15513 posts
2975 upvotes
Toronto
Give it away and save yourself the headache (literally).
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
Were you and whomever you got to help you pick it up both sick and hard of smell?
How could you not notice this until you got home.
I have done jobs in plenty of ethnic homes and my clothes literally reak of curry within 15 mins

If I were you I would post it for free pickup on kijiji
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3160 posts
704 upvotes
Ottawa
epik89 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 12:51 pm
Leave it in the backyard outside overnight. (hoping you don't live in a sketchy area)
Or wildlife that likes a curry :D
[OP]
Banned
Jul 25, 2007
797 posts
42 upvotes
Richmond Hell
So I'm stuck with a curry infused couch :)
Guess I'll just tell people it's made from an indian cow lol
signature removed for being offensive
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1220 posts
82 upvotes
I guess Febreeze is going to be your friends for a little while. LOL
Feb 17, 2004
738 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Burn it and get it out of the house...you're not gonna get rid of the smell. It's impregnated into the cushions and you're not going to be able to shampoo/clean the cushions since it's leather.
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
fromunda kid wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 12:32 pm
I bought a couch on craigslist. When I got it home I noticed a strong curry smell, it's coming from this leather couch. Is there a safe way of removing the snell from the couch? And because the couch is so big, my whole hous is beginning to smell like it.
Pleas help
find an indian guy and sell it to him :)
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Oct 22, 2012
596 posts
50 upvotes
stt55pot wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 8:11 pm
find an indian guy and sell it to him :)
+1

Did you buy this couch from an Indian guy?