• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2018 12:03 am
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
134 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Help me replace my Moto X Play

After three years of largely great service, my Moto X Play is starting to glitch, with calls and texts dropping randomly. After several conversations with my provider, the problem doesn't seem to be on their end - current theories are it's either:
- a SIM that needs replacing
- the current Android messages update (this is a long shot and doesn't explain the calls issue)
- the phone hardware

Obvs I'm going to try and troubleshoot the first two avenues, but if I have to do a factory reset and re-install everything with no guarantee of success, I'd rather just do that on a new phone.

I've loved all my Motorolas, so would happily go that route again - but I'm willing to be talked out of it if a great deal/phone comes along. Looking to spend up to/around the $300 mark, ideally a phone with 32gb internal memory and good battery life. Android, not iPhone. I'd also rather buy from a brick and mortar store than from some of the more dubious online re-sellers, but that's not a deal-breaker. I want to buy outright - no contracts or tabs.

Suggestions? Insights? Current specials/deals? I've been out of loop for a while in terms of handsets so don't really know where to start.
12 replies
May 8, 2009
6803 posts
2972 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Its successor, Moto Z Play (2016) is a worthy option, though it lacks FM radio. Should sell on the cheap by now.

For FM radio, consider the dual-sim, international variant of the Moto Z2 Play. Don't go international/dual-sim Moto Z Play 2016, else you may compromise LTE compatibility here.

Moto Z³ Play is out, but it's still expensive and it's lame (no headphone jack).

Else if you still want Motorola, consider Moto X⁴ (2017), or the latest Moto G plus or whatever. It'll still outrank your Moto X Play.

To ditch Motorola, consider OnePlus. Stay away from LG & SONY. Only take Samsung if you churn Koodo. Essential Phone can probably be had for dirt cheap by now, but seems like a dead end route.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16488 posts
5068 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 11:26 am
Its successor, Moto Z Play (2016) is a worthy option, though it lacks FM radio. Should sell on the cheap by now.

For FM radio, consider the dual-sim, international variant of the Moto Z2 Play. Don't go international/dual-sim Moto Z Play 2016, else you may compromise LTE compatibility here.

Moto Z³ Play is out, but it's still expensive and it's lame (no headphone jack).

Else if you still want Motorola, consider Moto X⁴ (2017), or the latest Moto G plus or whatever. It'll still outrank your Moto X Play.

To ditch Motorola, consider OnePlus. Stay away from LG & SONY. Only take Samsung if you churn Koodo. Essential Phone can probably be had for dirt cheap by now, but seems like a dead end route.
Where can you find a dirt cheap essential phone other than in the used market? I know people interested in getting one.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
May 8, 2009
6803 posts
2972 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 11:38 am
Where can you find a dirt cheap essential phone other than in the used market? I know people interested in getting one.
Probably used market.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
134 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This is amazingly helpful, thank you.

I started googling the phones you mentioned, and my next hurdle is finding them. The big three and flanker brands seem to have dropped most - if not all - of their Motorola offerings (or just kept lower end E series). Where are people sourcing their Motorolas? I'll check out local cellphone places, but are the online resellers a gamble? (One in particular seems to dominate all Best Buy, Amazon and eBay listings, but I've read mixed reviews.) This feels like such an obvious question, sorry.
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 11:26 am

May 8, 2009
6803 posts
2972 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
kitscha wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 12:29 pm

I started googling the phones you mentioned, and my next hurdle is finding them. The big three and flanker brands seem to have dropped most - if not all - of their Motorola offerings (or just kept lower end E series). Where are people sourcing their Motorolas? I'll check out local cellphone places, but are the online resellers a gamble? (One in particular seems to dominate all Best Buy, Amazon and eBay listings, but I've read mixed reviews.) This feels like such an obvious question, sorry.
  • Best buy will probably be a 3rd party merchant where Best buy is the middle man, so I'd treat it like Amazon
  • haven't bought a phone on eBay yet, but I suspect same rule applies as Amazon
  • for Amazon, can validate from experience, here are the steps to follow...
  1. Figure out which variant you want. Canada/US retail (unlocked) for single SIM, but guaranteed to maximize LTE compatibility. Moto Z2 Play "international" (Latin America) will support dual sim and LTE band 66. If you don't need band 66, Brazilian variant dual sim is ok. Careful with European or Asian/South Pacific variants.
  2. Seller advertises the variant you want. Send them a private message to make sure they have that variant in stock.
  3. Once they confirm they have it in stock, reply saying you'll buy it, but to send you a photo of the box showing IMEI and model number right after you buy it, and if they don't have that exact variant in stock, to refund your money right away since you'll return the phone on a "bait & switch"
  4. Once you receive the phone, verify the variant on the box, and in phone settings

Do not deviate from this if you want to buy a phone online. Amazon, eBay and Best buy should have good return policies. Don't let them get away with Bait & Switch, since those merchants can be notorious for that.
Jan 1, 2010
36 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
kitscha wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 12:29 pm

I just picked up a brand new in the box sealed Samsung A8 for $275 from Kijiji last Friday. I really like it.

You could probably grab one of the BTS section from a trusted RFD'er for around $300-400.

It's a decent mid range phone and the prices keep plummeting right now cuz of the Koodo sale.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
134 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Apart from the US warranty and the need to sign up for US Prime and the need to ship to the border... are there any obvious drawbacks or red flags with this one?
May 8, 2009
6803 posts
2972 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
kitscha wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 4:26 pm
Apart from the US warranty and the need to sign up for US Prime and the need to ship to the border... are there any obvious drawbacks or red flags with this one?
If it's the Amazon edition, then won't let you unlock bootloader and will have some bonus built-in ads.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
134 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 4:28 pm
If it's the Amazon edition, then won't let you unlock bootloader and will have some bonus built-in ads.
That's okay, I have no need or desire (or the knowledge!) to root the phone or doing anything fancy. But the cheapest I can see it for otherwise is via Amazon Canada, still with a US warranty, for $400 shipped. So a reasonable savings with the caveat that duty/tax may be charged at the border guard's discretion.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2423 posts
885 upvotes
Everywhere
kitscha wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 4:41 pm

That's okay, I have no need or desire (or the knowledge!) to root the phone or doing anything fancy. But the cheapest I can see it for otherwise is via Amazon Canada, still with a US warranty, for $400 shipped. So a reasonable savings with the caveat that duty/tax may be charged at the border guard's discretion.
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 4:28 pm
Amazon stopped with the built in lockscreen ads earlier this year,

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... are-update

I saw the Moto G6 for US$239 at Costco in the US recently. I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not though.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
134 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Ended up getting a Moto X4 from B&H Photo... Just missed out on their $100 off deal ($249 US) but got in at a good price. It's a bit more than I initially planned to spend, but I'm happy that it's coming from a reputable dealer, and I prepaid the duty/tax. Thanks so much for everyone's help, this phone wasn't even on my radar before this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6169 posts
2279 upvotes
Kootenays
You'll be happy with B&H. Very easy returns and warranty exchanges if there are any problems.