Home & Garden

Help me secure my own house (security camera help)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2017 9:17 am
[OP]
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville

Help me secure my own house (security camera help)

I'm looking to setup the following:

2 Outdoor Cameras
3 Indoor Cameras.

I'd like to get these with motion detectors so they only record when they capture motion. I'd like to be able to "watch them live when I want through my smart phone app.

Can any recommend specific cameras for what I want to accomplish? Thanks
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1026 posts
309 upvotes
Guelph
TagYoureIt wrote:
Dec 29th, 2016 9:01 pm
I'm looking to setup the following:

2 Outdoor Cameras
3 Indoor Cameras.

I'd like to get these with motion detectors so they only record when they capture motion. I'd like to be able to "watch them live when I want through my smart phone app.

Can any recommend specific cameras for what I want to accomplish? Thanks
You don't need a specific camera for that, that is done on the recording "software" side and almost all of them do that anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7219 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Security cameras don't secure your house....FYI.
Feb 12, 2007
165 posts
22 upvotes
Lock your doors at night and install home alarm - centrally monitored or self monitored (using modules like envisalink).

Just my 2c
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4213 posts
810 upvotes
Ottawa
Subscribed, I'd also like to know what setup can do this. I've looked into camera doorbells and haven't been thrilled with what's available in terms of ondemand access...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4315 posts
345 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Pretty much any camera system sold today does what you ask. Some do it better than others.
What about installation? Are you able to do that?
Is your house finished top to bottom?
The indoor cameras, does everyone who lives in the house agree to that?

Please do not install cameras to make you feel 'secure'. As Andrew mentioned cameras do not secure a building, they just record what they can see so you can go back and watch what has already happened.
An alarm system will trigger a notification based on the sensors installed and then that notification can go to a monitoring company who can act on your behalf, or it can go directly to you for you to figure out.
Again alarm systems do not 'secure' your house. They just tell you something has started happening.

If you are looking to 'secure' your house, usually that's putting up physical barriers to prevent entry and/or damage. Better doors and door frames, better locks, bars on the windows, armed guard..
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Apr 30, 2004
218 posts
55 upvotes
Get Hikvision IP 3 or 4Mp cameras from Ebay for about $100.
Hard part is pulling ethernet cable from each camera to POE switch ($60). Good software like Blue Iris on your PC will use cameras for motion detection, recording, sending emails with pictures on motion, etc.
Its a cheap and the best setup in my understanding.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville
I know you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you, so i'm reluctant to post this, but I have to. The hand that feeds me is the expertise that can be offered in this thread. What isn't needed is people saying "Lock your doors & get an alarm system". That's not what this thread is asking. This thread is specifically asking for something, and there is someone else who is interested in this as well. I have an alarm system setup, on top of that I live in a pretty safe neighborhood with a very active neighborhood watch, and my next door neighbor is the leader of it. I don't even need an alarm system, but you know what, it is a new house, so I keep it for now. But i'd also like to monitor the place myself. I want to be able to check in when i'm not home. Why? Because I have a dog, and will be getting another dog soon, so I want to be able to keep my eyes on them when we're not home. I also do a ton of online shopping. The only thing I buy in store is groceries, and that may change soon. I want to be able to track the delivery people who come to my door, for no other reason than tracking my parcels.

Outdoor Cameras: 1 at the front door, and one facing my backyard. I have open field behind me that the local high school kids go through all the time. I want to get a pool in my yard in the next couple of years. If something happens to my house I want to track it, something the alarm system won't do with the outdoors. I may add another one to my side for later use, I don't know yet.

For the inside Cameras, I want them in different hallway areas and where the dogs room is. will I get approval from others in the house? There's only 2 of us, and we are both down with that.

If you've answered "all cameras do that" it's not a real answer. If you ask what the best smartphone is i'm not going to say "all of them can make calls they're all the same"

Thanks.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville
Naz wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 1:41 pm
Get Hikvision IP 3 or 4Mp cameras from Ebay for about $100.
Hard part is pulling ethernet cable from each camera to POE switch ($60). Good software like Blue Iris on your PC will use cameras for motion detection, recording, sending emails with pictures on motion, etc.
Its a cheap and the best setup in my understanding.
Thanks for the response. Ideally i'd like wireless and connected to wifi.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville
BuildingHomes wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 9:46 am
Pretty much any camera system sold today does what you ask. Some do it better than others.
What about installation? Are you able to do that?
Is your house finished top to bottom?
The indoor cameras, does everyone who lives in the house agree to that?

Please do not install cameras to make you feel 'secure'. As Andrew mentioned cameras do not secure a building, they just record what they can see so you can go back and watch what has already happened.
An alarm system will trigger a notification based on the sensors installed and then that notification can go to a monitoring company who can act on your behalf, or it can go directly to you for you to figure out.
Again alarm systems do not 'secure' your house. They just tell you something has started happening.

If you are looking to 'secure' your house, usually that's putting up physical barriers to prevent entry and/or damage. Better doors and door frames, better locks, bars on the windows, armed guard..
1. Which ones are better than others?
2. I have an electician best friend who would do any electrical needed
3. Yes, the basement is finished
4. Yes

I'm not installing them to feel secure. I'm installing them for additional monitoring. My home alarm monitoring system as well as my registered legal fire arms make me feel secure enough.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4315 posts
345 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
We pretty much only use FLIR for residential. Yes under the same umbrella as Lorex, however the Lorex stuff is cheap plastic crap made to fit a low pricepoint and sell by the skidload at Costco.. seriously, ask them.

If the basement is finished you may find yourself in a situation where you are going to want to cut up some of the ceiling to get wiring where you want it. I don't know the layout of your house, but experience in doing this a couple of hundred times has taught me that running wire around a house with a finished basement can be very difficult without making some damage. Your electrician friend can back me up on that.

Note, your title actually asked for help to secure your home leading us to believe that you feel cameras would do such.

Please do not pull this into a debate about firearms.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Apr 30, 2004
218 posts
55 upvotes
4 wireless cameras if you want close to HD resolution- will need a very good router, and if camera will be at some distance from the router- will not work. Plus wireless will cost much more.You still need power to the camera.
Wired Ethernet is more reliable setup.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville
I have 1gbps internet & a badass router so the connection is not a problem. I have outlets for power so that's not an issue.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville
BuildingHomes wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 9:11 pm
We pretty much only use FLIR for residential. Yes under the same umbrella as Lorex, however the Lorex stuff is cheap plastic crap made to fit a low pricepoint and sell by the skidload at Costco.. seriously, ask them.

If the basement is finished you may find yourself in a situation where you are going to want to cut up some of the ceiling to get wiring where you want it. I don't know the layout of your house, but experience in doing this a couple of hundred times has taught me that running wire around a house with a finished basement can be very difficult without making some damage. Your electrician friend can back me up on that.

Note, your title actually asked for help to secure your home leading us to believe that you feel cameras would do such.

Please do not pull this into a debate about firearms.
Please note my title was to get attention, what it did. Hopefully people would give specific models to purchase for cameras.

Also, there is no debate about firearms. They should be legal and you should be allowed to shoot anyone who comes on INTO your home. Unforutnately, in canada this isn't the case.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1224 posts
213 upvotes
GTA
whatever you are getting, avoid Costco creepy overpriced cameras
I got 5 outdoor IO cameras , night mode, HD, motion sensors with DVR with 2TB HDD for $400.

cons:
no tilt functionality and no wireless

I can watch them over my cellphone , computer and obviously through DVR directly. and normally in my area it overwrites recordings around 40-45 days!