Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 17, 2006
448 posts
32 upvotes
Montreal

Help with Moving Company

My friend just moved to a different city, and the moving company is overcharging her. When she asked for an estimate before the move, they said it would be $1.19 per pound. She doesn't have a lot of stuff and the only furniture she is taking with her is a bed, a small desk and an office chair. The rest of the stuff is all small boxes, so the total weight couldn't be more than 1500 pounds. However, for some reason they didn't weigh the stuff in Montreal before they shipped it out. They called her today four days before her stuff is set to arrive, and they are saying that she will have to pay $3000! She hadn't planned for that kind of expenditure especially since her stuff definitely doesn't weigh as much. They said they would reweigh it again once it reaches the destination city, but that they would only credit her after 2-3 weeks. Can they do that, i.e. overcharge and then promise to refund later??
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1559 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
Refund later???? Thats a joke with moving companies....
I too learned it the hard way..the initial quote they say is always low...and when the final bill comes, u get the real shock....

The only way will be to get everything in writing before agreeing to their contract....
goojoomoonoo wrote:
Jul 25th, 2007 3:53 pm
My friend just moved to a different city, and the moving company is overcharging her. When she asked for an estimate before the move, they said it would be $1.19 per pound. She doesn't have a lot of stuff and the only furniture she is taking with her is a bed, a small desk and an office chair. The rest of the stuff is all small boxes, so the total weight couldn't be more than 1500 pounds. However, for some reason they didn't weigh the stuff in Montreal before they shipped it out. They called her today four days before her stuff is set to arrive, and they are saying that she will have to pay $3000! She hadn't planned for that kind of expenditure especially since her stuff definitely doesn't weigh as much. They said they would reweigh it again once it reaches the destination city, but that they would only credit her after 2-3 weeks. Can they do that, i.e. overcharge and then promise to refund later??
If "humans" are capable of the level of advancement that we have made in the last 5000 years, why is it considered normal that the other 395,000 years of human habitation has almost no technological advancement? **************USA: The land of the armed, Home of the scared******************
[OP]
Dec 17, 2006
448 posts
32 upvotes
Montreal
All she has is an e-mail stating how much it would cost per pound. Problem is they don't weigh anything in front of you, so they're probably just fudging the weight. :mad:
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4276 posts
67 upvotes
An estimate is an estimate. She's pretty much screwed.

I've never heard of moving by the pound...seems stupid.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
Weird. When I moved and it was by the pound also they came to my house to give me a free 30 minute consultation and estimate.

I got everything I needed in writing along with the transportation distances, insurance ect.
Also when the movers showed up I had to sign forms saying what they did and didn't move and note the condition of my items.

I find it funny that they just give an estimate by phone or email.

I used Fred Guy movers and it was kind of expensive, but it was for 2 moves, disasembling a lot of furniture, 3 months storage and extra insurance I think it was about $1,000 in all to move across the city.

But that was a lot of stuff and pretty complicated not just "a desk and a bed".

She should have gotten something in writing with the fees and policies at least.
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1559 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
You spent only $1000 and say it was expensive....???
I would say..u got really good movers...
Most of them are cheaters...especially those who give a quote by phone and then rip u off..once they have the stuff with them..then u have no choice..but to give them what they ask....otherwise they threaten to keep it in warehouse..
Steeve Urkel wrote:
Jul 26th, 2007 5:08 am
Weird. When I moved and it was by the pound also they came to my house to give me a free 30 minute consultation and estimate.

I got everything I needed in writing along with the transportation distances, insurance ect.
Also when the movers showed up I had to sign forms saying what they did and didn't move and note the condition of my items.

I find it funny that they just give an estimate by phone or email.

I used Fred Guy movers and it was kind of expensive, but it was for 2 moves, disasembling a lot of furniture, 3 months storage and extra insurance I think it was about $1,000 in all to move across the city.

But that was a lot of stuff and pretty complicated not just "a desk and a bed".

She should have gotten something in writing with the fees and policies at least.
If "humans" are capable of the level of advancement that we have made in the last 5000 years, why is it considered normal that the other 395,000 years of human habitation has almost no technological advancement? **************USA: The land of the armed, Home of the scared******************