Home & Garden

Help with my lawn (pics) quack grass, crab grass, or ????

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2008 3:32 am
Tags:
None
Apr 9, 2007
698 posts
1 upvote

Help with my lawn (pics) quack grass, crab grass, or ????

Please help me identify what this is growing in my lawn? Is it crab grass, quack grass, or some other type of grass?

We moved into this house over the winter and this is the first time Ive seen the lawn green. This wide bladed grass is growing in patches throughout parts of the lawn. In some spots its only a few while in other parts its completely pushed out the regular grass.

Any ideas?

10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke
Looks like crab.. Was it yellow just after the snow melted? Then turns a nice green?

I've got a fair size patch in my yard and that is what it does each year.
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2581 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Hey, i have grass like that.. thought it was normal... mine isn't a lighter green though.
Apr 27, 2008
174 posts
20 upvotes
Washington, D.C.
Check out your neighbors lawns and see which one looks the best and ask them for lawn advice. What works in some regions doesn't apply to others, so getting local advice helps.
May 18, 2006
991 posts
23 upvotes
More than likely a tall fescue, as advertised on the bag of some commercial seed mixes (full sun, if I'm not mistaken). It grows super-fast, often in little clumps, will survive summer drought periods when the rest of your lawn goes dormant (so it stands out even more), very coarse, wide blades. I thought it was crabgrass, too, but realized it couldn't be when it was the first grass to gren up in the spring. Crabgrass, I think, still hasn't hit it's growing season, so it definitely wouldn't be that. Hope this helps...........
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
209 upvotes
I'm not sure what it IS, but I'm pretty sure it ISN'T crabgrass. First of all, it's way too early to see mature crabgrass, and secondly, it doesn't look anything like it. I'm not sure if it's a quackgrass or something else (like the fescue noted above). It looks like it has the hollow stems noted in quackgrass, though.
Apr 12, 2008
458 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
It's tall fescue. I have it too, and I'm not overly fond of it.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3955 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
It is tall fescue. Crabgrass wil not be visable for at least a month from now the way the weather has been. It looks like the whole lawn is like that tho so maybe it was planted on purpose. There are a few seed mixture's for sale using the Rapid Grass name that are meant for high traffic areas. Could be the previous owner used it.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
[OP]
Apr 9, 2007
698 posts
1 upvote
Tall fescue... interesting.

As I mentioned in parts of the yard it seems to comprise most of the lawn while in other its very small patches or just a few blades interspersed among the "normal" lawn. It is possible the previous owner seeded this in the one section where it is predominant and then also used it on some dead patches and some may have blown around.

I think I will put up with it for this year but will have to look into options on how to get some other type of grass in there.
Oct 31, 2002
996 posts
30 upvotes
Waterloo
urban1 wrote:
May 30th, 2008 11:08 am
Tall fescue... interesting.

As I mentioned in parts of the yard it seems to comprise most of the lawn while in other its very small patches or just a few blades interspersed among the "normal" lawn. It is possible the previous owner seeded this in the one section where it is predominant and then also used it on some dead patches and some may have blown around.

I think I will put up with it for this year but will have to look into options on how to get some other type of grass in there.
Definitely not crabgrass. Could possibly be quackgrass but I think it's fescue as well.

I think you're dead on with "It is possible the previous owner seeded this in the one section where it is predominant and then also used it on some dead patches and some may have blown around".
× < >