Beauty & Wellness

Help with my sister, delusions, paranoia

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2018 4:22 pm
Oct 7, 2004
190 posts
If you feel that you can't get her to a hospital and she poses a risk to a herself or others, you can get a Form 2 from the justice of peace to be forced to be brought to the hospital for assessment and evaluation. Getting her help earlier is the best thing, the longer this sits the harder it becomes to treat her illness.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1622 posts
She either has developed a condition such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder or she may be in the midst of a complete mental breakdown.

Regardless, it sounds like she needs help ASAP before she harms herself or others. You and your family should try and do what you can to get her this help.

Sorry to hear this OP. This sounds like an awful situation to be in.
Mar 20, 2009
987 posts
When you and your family have talked to her, did this happen one on one or all together?
It sounds like all experiences involved larger groups of people.
It might be heightening her paranoia and whatever else is going on, since she seems to believe you are all in on it.

Google search camh about schizophrenia and bipolar disorder - they have great material explaining what these conditions consist of. They also offer a wide range of materials for families coping with a loved one who has such a condition. Regardless of whether your sister is or isn't, they might offer strategies for consent to seek treatment.

Good luck, and stay both compassionate and strong.
Apr 29, 2017
181 posts
When I was 17 I was dabbling in cocaine and marijuana a little. I could do it and be perfectly fine, one night I mixed the two and had like a major panic attack or mini psychosis. All of a sudden in the days following I was in a constant state of anxiety and couldn't look people in the eye or talk without stuttering or shaking. I would slowly recover then go and smoke weed again and it would start it all over.

I never got treatment and slowly recovered over the next year, but still have general social anxiety and occasional panic attacks to this day. Almost like I had PTSD, I was around friends when it happened and I was hearing them say all these mean things about me, probably psychosis.

I have not had any schizo symptoms except when I smoked weed, which I don't anymore and would think my friends were against me.

Most people I meet think I'm fine, maybe a little awkward but I've always been shy and has anxiety so I think I've recovered about the most I ever will. Anxiety runs in my family too, but I've had a normal life, always held jobs and am married with a successful business where I meet clients everyday.

That was 13 years ago. I wish I would have got on some anti depressants or something looking back because the last half of my senior year was unbearable.

Just saying it could of been a drug induced psychosis and may only be temporary, something that if she was using a substance and quit, she would have a chance to recover. I will give my best wishes to hope it's something she can get through, you need to be supportive and give her a safe place.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11431 posts
City of Vancouver
I would say ur sister needs to go to the psych ward to get evaluated ASAP. If that involves getting her there via the police, then so be it. U r worried about her job and mortgage, but health and safety of ur sister, her co-workers, the public, etc. trumps that. What r the chances of her being able to function daily if she is so severly hampered by her untreated mental condition? U r only prolonging the inevitable, so better to attack the issue sooner rather than later. If u have noticed subtle behavioural changes, her co-workers would also have.

It is stressful for u to be confronted with this problem that seemingly came out of left field. Life is unpredictable like that. Some people r lucky to coast for decades without anything dramatic happening. But for a lot of people, there r moments when u realize that maybe life won't be quite the same after this. Once the shocks wears off, u learn to adapt and deal. This is how u learn to build resilience in urself, which comes in handy the next time u have another shocker or lower level drama to deal with.

Ok, so the good news is that once ur sister gets the right diagnosis, ur family/her health team can then start developing a plan of action. Some people who have psychotic breaks/schopizophrenia can get back to regular life, relationships, and their job by taking medication. And, u and ur family can get back to living ur own lives. That is the light at the end of the tunnel. But, in the meantime, when u feel powerless and stressed out because this problem is staring u in the face and u don't know what to do about it, is the worst. I guess some people can just ignore problems, not give a care. But ignoring is not solving!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.