• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2013 9:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
26 posts

Help needed

I bumped into a car(Toyota Sienna) this evening when I was pulling my car out of my parking spot.

We went through information exchange, and I told him that I'll give him cash when he returns with estimates.

I'm just wondering how much shops will usually charge for scratches (circled area).

Also, is there something that I have to do after I give him money?

[IMG]http://s14.postimage.org/n5o1yv21t/IMG_ ... 5316_1.jpg[/IMG]
21 replies
Dec 3, 2004
781 posts
5 upvotes
The shop is probably going to tell him to repaint the whole bumper which will range from 600-800 depending on the shop.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11131 posts
879 upvotes
Brampton
Looks like some scuff marks to the left of your red circle as well.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12627 posts
8925 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anywhere from $500-800 for just a respray. The "real" cost would be around $350-400 if you know a shop, but don't expect a stranger wanting to go to your own shop.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24978 posts
9824 upvotes
Toronto
+1 on the est. of $500. If the other party goes back to dealer, you may be looking at closer to $700

If both parties agree to settle for cash payout as a form of compensation. You will need to do a Release letter on your own or find one in the internet. One main item on the letter should address the accident did not result in injury to the operator of the vehicle.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21717 posts
2412 upvotes
If that Sienna had bumper sensors or something it might cost you a fortune...

Friend hurt a Lexus and paid over $1,000 for tiny bump (mechanic in town couldn't or wouldn't?? fix it so they had to go to dealer...)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2795 posts
510 upvotes
Ajax
I don't understand why people can't park. If it seems close stop and redo. Why continue til you make contact. I would be pissed.Remember the car will swing out if you reverse and turn.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1055 posts
140 upvotes
Brampton
booblehead wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 10:07 pm
+1 on the est. of $500. If the other party goes back to dealer, you may be looking at closer to $700

If both parties agree to settle for cash payout as a form of compensation. You will need to do a Release letter on your own or find one in the internet. One main item on the letter should address the accident did not result in injury to the operator of the vehicle.
Dealer would probably want to get a new bumper and paint, probably looking at $1500-$2000. Hopefully he doesn't take it to the dealer for your sake.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
266 upvotes
Kingston
And if it were me I'd tack on another $300-$400 for the hassle.
Nov 13, 2012
71 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
It looks like there is a small dent or scrape below the scratch.
The scratch actually is quite big.

I would estimate circa 800. Because they would need to take the bumper off to respect and patch the dent and scrape.

Make sure he gets threes quotes and take the lowest one or call the place itself and negotiate the job over the phone after they have quoted him for a cash deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1055 posts
140 upvotes
Brampton
Checker123 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 6:52 am

I would estimate circa 800. Because they would need to take the bumper off to respect and patch the dent and scrape.

Make sure he gets threes quotes and take the lowest one or call the place itself and negotiate the job over the phone after they have quoted him for a cash deal.
OP can suggest for him to get 3 quotes, but doesn't mean he has to comply. OP's fault so he has to agree with whatever the other party wants or go through insurance, he doesn't have much say in this.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
Checker123 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 6:52 am

+1

If at all possible, 3 quotes is the way to go.

One of my kids smacked into someone awhile back and did some damage to the other car ( a Mazda 3 ) - cracked bumper and damaged turn signal assembly.

The other driver got 2 written estimates from a body shop - my kid got 1 written estimate from a body shop our family knows well - so, 3 quotes. They were all within around $200 or so of each other. In the end, didn't go through insurance - my kid just forked over a cheque for $1,600 to the other driver to cover off the repairs based on the estimates.

And you don't need any sort of ' release '......just write a cheque to the guy for the amount required, with a memo on the cheque detailing that it is for the repair amount citing his name, plate and VIN #...treat the cancelled cheque as your receipt.

And I'm with you, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it came to somewhere around $800+/-.

( can't tell clearly from the pic, but if the bumper was actually punctured with a small hole, it might even be more )
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
quanvn wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 7:42 am
OP can suggest for him to get 3 quotes, but doesn't mean he has to comply.

OP's fault so he has to agree with whatever the other party wants or go through insurance, he doesn't have much say in this.
Unfortunately for the OP, that's the case.

The OP is 100% at fault, so the guy he hit calls all the shots...and that guy doesn't even have to go with the cheapest quote ( assuming he's willing to get 3 quotes in the first place ) if he doesn't want to.

The OP just needs to try for 3 quotes and hope this guy agrees to opt for the lowest of the 3.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!