• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2013 9:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5360 posts
975 upvotes
I would never think about getting 3 quotes for someone if they hit my parked car.

You either pay the one quote given or go through insurance.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10459 posts
4663 upvotes
Brampton
poedua wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 7:43 am
+1

If at all possible, 3 quotes is the way to go.

One of my kids smacked into someone awhile back and did some damage to the other car ( a Mazda 3 ) - cracked bumper and damaged turn signal assembly.

The other driver got 2 written estimates from a body shop - my kid got 1 written estimate from a body shop our family knows well - so, 3 quotes. They were all within around $200 or so of each other. In the end, didn't go through insurance - my kid just forked over a cheque for $1,600 to the other driver to cover off the repairs based on the estimates.

And you don't need any sort of ' release '......just write a cheque to the guy for the amount required, with a memo on the cheque detailing that it is for the repair amount citing his name, plate and VIN #...treat the cancelled cheque as your receipt.

And I'm with you, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it came to somewhere around $800+/-.

( can't tell clearly from the pic, but if the bumper was actually punctured with a small hole, it might even be more )
ABSOLUTELY GET A signed document absolving you of any other problem. Otherwise you're leaving yourself open to litigation. The guy could claim his AC broke or his muffler fell off (just random examples) and come after you.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11472 posts
4812 upvotes
Toronto
search button is my recommendation seeing how this gets discussed weekly.

And OP, put more specific info in your thread title
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 8:27 am
ABSOLUTELY GET A signed document absolving you of any other problem. Otherwise you're leaving yourself open to litigation. The guy could claim his AC broke or his muffler fell off (just random examples) and come after you.
In this particular case, then let him take the OP to small claims court ...the judge will look at the pic in this thread and then dismiss the claim that his AC broke or his muffler fell off etc. as vexatious in about 10 seconds IMO.

Judges know scams when they see it.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10459 posts
4663 upvotes
Brampton
poedua wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 8:33 am
In this particular case, then let him take the OP to small claims court ...the judge will look at the pic in this thread and then dismiss the claim that his AC broke or his muffler fell off etc. as vexatious in about 10 seconds IMO.

They won't, you would think someone who is willing to take you to court is not going to be smart enough to get a mechanic to write out a letter saying yes the accident contributed to the damage?

You got a lot to learn about how courts work.

As my lawyer always tells me words mean nothing unless it's on paper and it's signed.

ACYA
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1054 posts
140 upvotes
Brampton
poedua wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 8:33 am

tebore wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 8:40 am
They won't, you would think someone who is willing to take you to court is not going to be smart enough to get a mechanic to write out a letter saying yes the accident contributed to the damage?

You got a lot to learn about how courts work.

As my lawyer always tells me words mean nothing unless it's on paper and it's signed.

ACYA
I agree with poedua here, in this specific situation the judge should be able to determine from the pics that the little tap to the rear bumper didn't affect the muffler or the AC.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10459 posts
4663 upvotes
Brampton
quanvn wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 8:57 am
I agree with poedua here, in this specific situation the judge should be able to determine from the pics that the little tap to the rear bumper didn't affect the muffler or the AC.
Wooosh right over your head.