None
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45126 posts
3638 upvotes
Toronto

Help Needed!

Hey. To keep things short here's what i'm wanting to do but i have no clue on how to do it or how it works.

I'm looking to print out my own wallpapers into actual real pictures so i can frame them and hang them on my wall.. The desired size i want is 24x36 since that's what Costco offers in terms of their biggest sized photo.

How do i know what resolution the picture needs to be in order to fit the 24x36 pictures they print without having to crop any of the picture or stretching it out in order to fit? I was fooling around on the Costco site in the photo center and whenever i uploaded picture it warned me of it needing to be cropped cutting out part of the picture or that it warns me that the picture will be blurry in person because of the resolution being stretched or something like that.

Is there way of making a 4K resolution smaller into a 3k resolution but with the same amount of PPI (pixel per inch) so that the image quality stays clear?
Cropping Warning: The cropping warning icon indicates that part of your photo will be cropped at the selected print size. Click the Crop Warning above the photo’s thumbnail to review and adjust the image crop.

Resolution Warning: This warning indicates that your photo may appear blurry or pixelated when printed at the selected size. If this warning appears, click the icon to preview the recommended print resolutions in the help section. Uploading an image with a larger image resolution can help.
Hopefully this makes sense, i'm pretty lost on how this works lol. Also if Costco prints crappy quality pictures then if you have any suggestions on where to print them that look nice and isn't all that bad on the wallet then i'm willing to listen!

Thanks for reading!

Edit: Shoutouts to thericyip for helping me out when i private messaged him!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3176 posts
1252 upvotes
Vancouver
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 1:33 am
How do i know what resolution the picture needs to be in order to fit the 24x36 pictures they print without having to crop any of the picture or stretching it out in order to fit?
The optimal resolution for CostCo is 300 times the dimensions of the picture you want than add 1%.
from here http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3004256 (first link for "24x36 recommended resolution" Google search ;) )
As for cropping, you need to if the picture has a different aspect ratio than the print. Or you can add a border to your image so that it ends up with the same aspect ratio like the print.
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 1:33 am
Is there way of making a 4K resolution smaller into a 3k resolution but with the same amount of PPI (pixel per inch) so that the image quality stays clear?
Just resize the image, the DPI will stay the same when you downscale.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1758 posts
450 upvotes
North York
I've printed a 36x24 at Costco before.

Assuming your photo is already at a decent size... in PS, just scale the pixel dimensions to 3600x2400 (or of same ratio) and set the the document size to 300 pixels/inch.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45126 posts
3638 upvotes
Toronto
charlesd79 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 2:05 am
The optimal resolution for CostCo is 300 times the dimensions of the picture you want than add 1%.
from here http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3004256 (first link for "24x36 recommended resolution" Google search ;) )
As for cropping, you need to if the picture has a different aspect ratio than the print. Or you can add a border to your image so that it ends up with the same aspect ratio like the print.

Just resize the image, the DPI will stay the same when you downscale.
I don't really understand still haha..
thericyip wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 2:15 am
I've printed a 36x24 at Costco before.

Assuming your photo is already at a decent size... in PS, just scale the pixel dimensions to 3600x2400 (or of same ratio) and set the the document size to 300 pixels/inch.
What counts as a decent size? What if the picture is actually smaller than 3600x2400 resolution, it would be stretched right?

Edit: I changed it to 3600x2400 at 300 ppi. On the Costco site it still warns me about the resolution warning, should i be worried about that even if i changed it to 3600x2400 at 300 ppi? The cropping is perfectly fine, it doesn't ask me about having to re-crop it anymore.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1758 posts
450 upvotes
North York
What are the original pixel dimensions for your photo? Decent size should be at least 2500 on the longest side if you're printing that big. If you stretch from 2500 to 3600, it should be fine. Any bigger of a difference, you're going to run into poor quality.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45126 posts
3638 upvotes
Toronto
thericyip wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 7:55 am
What are the original pixel dimensions for your photo? Decent size should be at least 2500 on the longest side if you're printing that big. If you stretch from 2500 to 3600, it should be fine. Any bigger of a difference, you're going to run into poor quality.
What's the longer side, the first number between the two? Like 3840 x 2160, if i turn that into 3600 x 2400 would that be okay?

I'm guessing a 2000 x 1127 stretched into 3600 x 2400 would have problems, correct?

Thanked your posts btw.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1639 posts
651 upvotes
I think the real issue here is the wrong aspect ratio. It sounds like your wallpaper images were created for the standard TV/computer screen, with the 16:9~1.78 aspect ratio. The COSTCO's largest prints ar at a smaller (more squarish) apsect ratio 4:3~1.33.

There are two solutions to this:

- Either you fit your photo to the longer size of the 36x24 print, and then add white bars at the bottom and top to bring the composite photo to the required 4:3 apsect ratio, or
- Fit the shorter side of your photo to the shorter side of the 36x24 prints, by means of chopping off some of your photo on the left and/or right sides (assuming the landscape orientation).

The first method preserves all of your photo (no cropping), but the photo will be smaller (less wide). The second method makes a larger print (the full 36x24 size), but you have to sacrifice some of the photo on the edges.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45126 posts
3638 upvotes
Toronto
pulsar123 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 12:27 pm
I think the real issue here is the wrong aspect ratio. It sounds like your wallpaper images were created for the standard TV/computer screen, with the 16:9~1.78 aspect ratio. The COSTCO's largest prints ar at a smaller (more squarish) apsect ratio 4:3~1.33.

There are two solutions to this:

- Either you fit your photo to the longer size of the 36x24 print, and then add white bars at the bottom and top to bring the composite photo to the required 4:3 apsect ratio, or
- Fit the shorter side of your photo to the shorter side of the 36x24 prints, by means of chopping off some of your photo on the left and/or right sides (assuming the landscape orientation).

The first method preserves all of your photo (no cropping), but the photo will be smaller (less wide). The second method makes a larger print (the full 36x24 size), but you have to sacrifice some of the photo on the edges.
So with what thericyip suggested to do would work and scale the picture to the right aspect ratio right? Nothing else needed other than changing the pixel dimensions to 3600 x 2400 at 300 ppi?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1111 posts
91 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I don't think you'll ever figure out what needs to be done until you understand the difference between cropping and resizing.

Read this (and maybe some other sites) to help understand the differences: http://mcpactions.com/2011/05/09/unders ... otography/

Alternatively, you could take the full size image into Costco and ask the person working to alter it to fit a specific ratio/print size for you. They will crop it to fit, but usually they are pretty good and will only crop what is needed. Most of them working in the Photo Center are photographers too, so they get it. At least they do at the one I go to.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45126 posts
3638 upvotes
Toronto
Darryl wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 4:25 pm
I don't think you'll ever figure out what needs to be done until you understand the difference between cropping and resizing.

Read this (and maybe some other sites) to help understand the differences: http://mcpactions.com/2011/05/09/unders ... otography/

Alternatively, you could take the full size image into Costco and ask the person working to alter it to fit a specific ratio/print size for you. They will crop it to fit, but usually they are pretty good and will only crop what is needed. Most of them working in the Photo Center are photographers too, so they get it. At least they do at the one I go to.
I'll have a look at the link right now. I don't want the image to be cropped in any way, i need the entire picture in tact without it being cut off any where!

So cropping would mean i'd lost some of my picture and resizing is that i'll keep the entire picture but the aspect ratio may change depending on the print size, so it may or may not look stretched, correct?

Edit: Resizing was used to lower down the MB of the file in order to make it easier to load in the link you provided, i don't think i'd need to do that right because then it'll decrease the quality of the picture?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1758 posts
450 upvotes
North York
What's the original dimensions of your photo?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1758 posts
450 upvotes
North York
If your original photo is not 4:3, then your photo will not fit a 36x24 print perfectly.

It looks like your original photo is 16:9 if you gave us numbers like 3840 x 2160 and 2000 x 1127.

You have two options...

1) Crop out the sides (left/right of the image) to get it to 4:3 ratio.
2) Print your image as is but you will have white bars on the top and bottom of your print.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45126 posts
3638 upvotes
Toronto
thericyip wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 5:03 pm
If your original photo is not 4:3, then your photo will not fit a 36x24 print perfectly.

It looks like your original photo is 16:9 if you gave us numbers like 3840 x 2160 and 2000 x 1127.

You have two options...

1) Crop out the sides (left/right of the image) to get it to 4:3 ratio.
2) Print your image as is but you will have white bars on the top and bottom of your print.
1. Cropping is not an option, i need the full picture.
2. So the quality will still be the same and the picture will fit as normal? Does that mean i can just cut the part with the white bar off?

Sorry for these stupid questions.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1758 posts
450 upvotes
North York
1. 16:9 Ratio
2. 16:7 Ratio
3. 16:10 Ratio
4. 16:9 Ratio

So yeah, none of your photos will fit a 36x24 print exactly. In fact they don't fit any normal photo sizes.
If you can't crop anything out, then your only option is to print your image as is but you will have white bars (blank space) on the top and bottom of your image.
If you want to avoid the white bars/blank space, you can get it cut afterwards but you'll have to get it custom framed.

Best choice is to print it as is and live with the bars. Just shrink the longest side to 3600 so you know how far off to 2400 your short side is and how much white bar you'll have in your print.

3840 x 2160 shrinks to 3600 x 2025
3150 x 1350 shrinks to 3600 x 1543
4134 x 2480 shrinks to 3600 x 2160
2000 x 1127 shrinks to 3600 x 2029

See how they all do not shrink down to 3600 x 2400? That's because your photos aren't the right ratio. And to get the correct ratio for print, you will have to either crop the sides (like Costco told you) or print as is and live with the white bars.