• Dec 17th, 2014 2:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1768 posts
454 upvotes
North York
Yeah, you can just cut the white bars off if you want. But you're gonna have trouble finding a frame for your photos since these won't fit normal frames. You'll have to get custom framing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46850 posts
4850 upvotes
Toronto
thericyip wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 5:22 pm
Yeah, you can just cut the white bars off if you want. But you're gonna have trouble finding a frame for your photos since these won't fit normal frames. You'll have to get custom framing.
Are custom frames much more expensive than pre-built frames? If it is then i might have to settle with the white bars.

Edit: I wouldn't require a frame that fits the picture exactly, i wouldn't mind framing the entire picture with a white background so it has a border around it.. The picture will have white bars on the top and bottom so that wouldn't work, so i'd have to cut the white bars then frame the background with white cardboard paper and then possibly frame it afterwards.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1768 posts
454 upvotes
North York
Yes, custom framing would be more expensive, usually double, than buying a regular frame from a store (Cdn Tire, Walmat, etc).

If you cut the bars off the print and frame it on a regular frame, you'd still have white above and below the image, no?
I would go against cutting anything if you're not getting custom framing. When you make a print, let's say 36x24, a frame for that size is made to fit the print perfectly so it won't come out slanted or crooked. If you cut the bars off and say you end up with a 36x20 image, you will have a tough time centering what's left on the frame since you won't have the corners to match up to.

Basically, in the end, your print with a frame will end up like this on a 36x24 frame. The image is 16:9 ratio like yours.

[IMG]http://s8.postimg.org/hqyexw879/Untitled_1.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1303 posts
221 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
thericyip wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 5:03 pm
If your original photo is not 4:3, then your photo will not fit a 36x24 print perfectly.

It looks like your original photo is 16:9 if you gave us numbers like 3840 x 2160 and 2000 x 1127.

You have two options...

1) Crop out the sides (left/right of the image) to get it to 4:3 ratio.
2) Print your image as is but you will have white bars on the top and bottom of your print.
36x24 is 3:2, not 4:3.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1768 posts
454 upvotes
North York
Thank you for picking that up.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46850 posts
4850 upvotes
Toronto
thericyip wrote:
Dec 17th, 2014 12:53 am
Yes, custom framing would be more expensive, usually double, than buying a regular frame from a store (Cdn Tire, Walmat, etc).

If you cut the bars off the print and frame it on a regular frame, you'd still have white above and below the image, no?
I would go against cutting anything if you're not getting custom framing. When you make a print, let's say 36x24, a frame for that size is made to fit the print perfectly so it won't come out slanted or crooked. If you cut the bars off and say you end up with a 36x20 image, you will have a tough time centering what's left on the frame since you won't have the corners to match up to.

Basically, in the end, your print with a frame will end up like this on a 36x24 frame. The image is 16:9 ratio like yours.

[IMG]http://s8.postimg.org/hqyexw879/Untitled_1.jpg[/IM]
That actually looks fine, i'll just keep it with the white bars to save myself the hassle of getting a custom frame and what not.

Edit: I'm actually going to make it solid black instead of white, that'll probably look better.

Thanks.

Edit 2: Shoutouts to thericyip for helping me out when i private messaged him!