Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 3, 2005
677 posts
3 upvotes

Help needed : Agent wants to have viewings

Hi Guys,

I need some advice asap. Please respond only if you know the issue.
I am renting a condo and the agent (landord is in a different country) wants to have a lot of viewings for the condo i am renting. Like for e.g 4 viewings of an hour each in a particular day. Thing is i dont want other people to come into the condo without me here. I mentionned that to agent that i will do viewings for him every couple of days about an hour. Then he threatened me that the landord can give me 24 hours to leave the place.

How does this thing work?

Thanks a lot
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
no chance of being evicted in 24hrs,,,, long process,,,, and Im sure you paid first and last?

he has to be reasonable
[OP]
Aug 3, 2005
677 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks a lot i will do the readings.

Here are the facts
I am renting a condo
Landord is in another country and so agent acts on behalf
Agent wants me to do a lot of viewings as he is selling condo when i moved out in mid fed
I dont want other people to be in the condo if i am not present
So i tell agent that i would only be available one hour every couple of days
He threatens to have landord give me a 24 hour hour notice to leave place
As of now, i have to coorperate.
Questions
1) can agent enters in condo if i am not present?
2) Should i corperate with the viewings and if so how many is defined by reasonable?

Truth is i dont even know what time i would be home during holiday season and i dont want to waste my time in the condo to wait for people to come out. On the first viewings, some guys come in with their shoes on and open my closet. I said no way to the agent no way i am gonna let them come in without my presence. Can i not do any viewings for this period of holidays
[OP]
Aug 3, 2005
677 posts
3 upvotes
fireguy9 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2006 9:57 pm
no chance of being evicted in 24hrs,,,, long process,,,, and Im sure you paid first and last?

he has to be reasonable
Yes, i did paid both

What do you mean by reasonale? Is it resonable amount of time for me to look for another place
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1609 posts
67 upvotes
I believe that your landlord needs to give you 24 hours notice for the agent to enter. Other than that, you don't really have much choice. You can hang around and screw up the showings, but I don't think there is much you can do to stop them.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2005
677 posts
3 upvotes
[quote="BobW" post_id="4364405" time="1166584239" user_id="18332"]I believe that your landlord needs to give you 24 hours notice for the agent to enter. Other than that, you don't really have much choice. You can hang around and screw up the showings, but I don't think there is much you can do to stop them.[/QUOTE

I read the 24 hr notice in case of emergency repairs or fire, etc.
In my case, i am not sure if that apply
I dont mind to cooperate one hour every couple of days and not on holidays.
But agent wants 4 hours of viewings on mostly every day. I cant waste 4 hours waiting for people to visit
Jan 22, 2006
418 posts
4 upvotes
From the Landlord and Tenant Act 1997:

Entry without notice
Entry without notice, emergency, consent

20. (1) A landlord may enter a rental unit at any time without written notice,

(a) in cases of emergency; or

(b) if the tenant consents to the entry at the time of entry.

Same, housekeeping

(2) A landlord may enter a rental unit without written notice to clean it if the tenancy agreement requires the landlord to clean the rental unit at regular intervals and,

(a) the landlord enters the unit at the times specified in the tenancy agreement; or

(b) if no times are specified, the landlord enters the unit between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.

Entry to show rental unit

(3) A landlord may enter the rental unit without written notice to show the unit to prospective tenants if,

(a) the landlord and tenant have agreed that the tenancy will be terminated or one of them has given notice of termination to the other;

(b) the landlord enters the unit between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.; and

(c) before entering, the landlord informs or makes a reasonable effort to inform the tenant of the intention to do so. 1997, c. 24, s. 20.

more info here:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca:81/ISYSquer ... tmp/81/doc
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1275 posts
6 upvotes
Hey here's a thought. :twisted:

- Leave the place a mess, so showings won't be too great
- Be beligerant ... don't agree to showings when they want

As a result;

The landlord/agent will want you out earlier .... you can probably negociate some cash & moving expenses.

Just a thought.
Banned
Oct 3, 2006
1710 posts
1 upvote
Patriot
Why would the op do that when they state they want to rent the condo out.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
3006 posts
25 upvotes
GTA
because the guy is selling the condo and the new owner can evict him for personal use.

I'd start looking for a place or at least ask the landlord what his timeline is ...
this site is like a drug. Its forum is the drug dealer.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4135 posts
61 upvotes
Cambridge
Sounds like you need to find out if the "Agent" has the same rights as the landlord. The landlord can enter your premises to show the home between 8am and 8pm....but as you say he's not the one coming in, it is the agent.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1275 posts
6 upvotes
hightechfan wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 9:07 am
Patriot
Why would the op do that when they state they want to rent the condo out.
Maybe I missed something, isn't the OP renting the unit at this time (until February) and doesn't the owner want access to release or sell the unit ?

Anyway, OP you have rights in this situation and it's to the landlord's advantage to keep you as happy as possible while he's trying to release or sell. As well, since it's your stuff in the unit, you are fully in the right to be present in showings by the agent.

If they want you out during the showings (legally I don't think it's possible), have them sign a waiver stating they're responsible for any damage or missing items.

Look you're the one being inconvenienced .... exact a $$ :twisted:
Nov 24, 2005
697 posts
7 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
You have to expect people will open up the closets and the kitchen and bathroom cabinets. They want to check out the size, number of shelves etc and the conditions of the units. I would never purchase ( or rent) anything without a really good inspection. I never would open dressers or anything personal in the home.
P.S. Don't leave anything of value (real or sentimental) in the home during viewings.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
22 upvotes
Sask
evilbunny wrote:
Dec 19th, 2006 10:53 pm
From the Landlord and Tenant Act 1997:

Entry without notice
Entry without notice, emergency, consent

20. (1) A landlord may enter a rental unit at any time without written notice,

(a) in cases of emergency; or

(b) if the tenant consents to the entry at the time of entry.

Same, housekeeping

(2) A landlord may enter a rental unit without written notice to clean it if the tenancy agreement requires the landlord to clean the rental unit at regular intervals and,

(a) the landlord enters the unit at the times specified in the tenancy agreement; or

(b) if no times are specified, the landlord enters the unit between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.

Entry to show rental unit

(3) A landlord may enter the rental unit without written notice to show the unit to prospective tenants if,

(a) the landlord and tenant have agreed that the tenancy will be terminated or one of them has given notice of termination to the other;

(b) the landlord enters the unit between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.; and

(c) before entering, the landlord informs or makes a reasonable effort to inform the tenant of the intention to do so. 1997, c. 24, s. 20.

more info here:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca:81/ISYSquer ... tmp/81/doc
My read of this is that landlord and tenant (Bmp5) have fulfilled 3(a) as they seem to have an understanding that Bmp5 is leaving in a month or two.

The rules then go on to say the landlord can enter the unit 8-8pm (a 12 hour window) as long as they make reasonable effort to inform the tenant (which they have done)

So based on the rules, landlord's agent could theoretically be showing the unit 12 hours a day from now til you leave, providing reasonable notice is given.

Sure it sucks that the agent seems to think they need 4 hour time window for showings, and sure it sucks that its during holidays.

But I'm not totally getting why you need to be there? Obviously you'd rather me there but the rules don't seem to make that a right or a requirement. I would assume the agent has the key and will do the showings whether you are there or not.

At first it would seem the agent is being reasonable, giving you notice of the worst case scenario which is having to show the unit 4 hours every night. But if the agent did claim 24 hour eviction if you don't comply, that doesn't sound right either.

Instead of the immature idea of trying to make the showings go so badly that nobody will rent, maybe it's in your best interest to make the showings go so well that a lease gets signed after just a couple showings, then you won't have to worry any more.