[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto

Help with new boiler!

Hey all,

The boiler at my mother's house in Toronto sort of exploded...not in the big bang house gone kind of way but there was a big bang that buckled the burner assembly...long story short she needs a new one. Direct Energy (or whatever they are called) quoted her $16,000 to replace it. This seems massively expensive to me for the current boiler, a top of the line super high efficiency unit, only cost me about $4,000 and I did not even get close to $16,000 with installation which included a new indirect water heating system, substantial alterations to the plumbing and running new PEX tubes to radiators.

Just looking for some suggestions/recommendations of boiler install and service companies.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
2673 posts
182 upvotes
North Etobicoke
I presume you are speaking about a hot water tank. See if she has it rented, the company should replace it free. or you can check with Home depot, it sells for anywhere between $500-$1000 + installation. Depending on what size you want. If you speaking about a boiler, my apologies, then I don't know about that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
No, a boiler. The house is heated by a boiler that heats water which is pushed through radiators. She does not have a standalone water heater...the boiler actually does that as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
silky28 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:48 pm
No, a boiler. The house is heated by a boiler that heats water which is pushed through radiators. She does not have a standalone water heater...the boiler actually does that as well.
Get her in touch with the company who did yours.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:50 pm
Get her in touch with the company who did yours.
No longer in business
Mar 18, 2012
38 posts
9 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
There's lots of things that go in to the cost of the boiler including zones, domestic hot water, length and size of copper runs. Whether she using copper, steel pipe, I've even heard of people using pex. However 16k does seem high, 10k seems a little more appropriate but again, depends on work being done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
RHarrison wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:16 pm
There's lots of things that go in to the cost of the boiler including zones, domestic hot water, length and size of copper runs. Whether she using copper, steel pipe, I've even heard of people using pex. However 16k does seem high, 10k seems a little more appropriate but again, depends on work being done.
The piping for the heat, the zones and the domestic hot water are there already. They just need to remove the old boiler and install the new one. At most the installer will have to adapt the feed and return lines to fit the new boiler, reinstall gas and water feed lines, and hook up the fresh air and exhaust - which are PVC and already there. I was expecting about $10,000 myself.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
Belyea Bros.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:50 pm
Belyea Bros.
my mother tried them...said they are too busy to take on new clients.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
silky28 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:54 pm
my mother tried them...said they are too busy to take on new clients.
Red Line Mechanical
Dec 3, 2003
168 posts
21 upvotes
I found Craig at Four Season Comfort on RFD as he also runs an AC group buy, and while I am getting my boiler repaired rather than replaced, he mentioned a boiler would be ~$5,000-$6,000. Maybe give him a call and see if it would be similar for your Mom? http://www.fourseasoncomfort.com/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
straysheepie wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 12:11 am
I found Craig at Four Season Comfort on RFD as he also runs an AC group buy, and while I am getting my boiler repaired rather than replaced, he mentioned a boiler would be ~$5,000-$6,000. Maybe give him a call and see if it would be similar for your Mom? http://www.fourseasoncomfort.com/
Thanks. I will definitely get in touch with them. The big problem for me is that I am in the UK so I have to organize all of this from afar. Normally I would just buy a boiler myself and find someone to install it but that just isn't practical now.

The boiler she needs is quite big...the one that died output 185,000 btuh so I expect it to be more expensive than the average but $6,000 is a lot more realistic than $16,000. For Christ sakes its not a car! besides I can buy the same boiler they offered online for $4400 USD.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
So i have a company coming to do a detailed quote today. They gave a preliminary quote of $6500 +tax including install and disposal of old boiler. Considering all the piping is new i cannot see the quote rising significantly.

Btw, it was enercare that quoted $16,000 and that does not include taxes or installation. So in the end it would be around 22,000. The boiler the quoted was a Weil-McLean evg220 which can be had for $4500 USD online.

I understand that enercare will charge more because they have a name and are convenient but that amount of markup is insane and suggests to me that they make their money by over charging those who don't know enough....like old ladies.

Oh and they tried to get her on a lease and that would have taken price to $25000+
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1395 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
You can also try Spring Home Heating and Cooling