• Jan 4th, 2019 6:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 16, 2006
892 posts
175 upvotes
Pickering

Help a noob pick a camera!

I want a good camera. I've always wanted one. Back in 2002-2004 I had a MiniDV Standard definition video camera and I very much enjoyed making videos and editing them in imovie. I want to do youtube videos and take high quality photos.

I've been looking at various cameras and I have narrowed it down to the following:

Canon T6 ($499 with lens, Henry's Cameras)
Nikon D3400 ($649 with lens, Henry's Cameras)
Panasonic G7 ($800, with lens, B&H-shipped from USA)

I have looked exhaustively at examples of still images and videos from these three cameras. The G7 wins in terms of image quality in my opinion, especially for video. The video quality from the G7 is absolutely mind blowing. It's also very expensive and comes with the worst kit lens of the bunch (18-42mm vs 18-55mm).

I'm leaning most towards the D3400, which, despite having poor low light performance, takes excellent still and moving images, and I think I will be very happy with it. I also like the T6 for the low price but I feel like the image quality it produces is a bit of a let down.

Are there any other cameras I should be looking at? What do you guys suggest for me?

What about buying a used camera? What are the risks involved there?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
18 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1044 posts
341 upvotes
Out of these 3, the Nikon D3400 has the best low light performance and image quality. But for video, it's the worst of the 3.

If you want to do both stills and videos, the clear winner is the Panasonic G7. It does 4k, it has a flip screen, EVF, touchscreen for precise focus in video mode.

You shouldn't think a kit lens is bad because of the focal length. Also, with cameras with different sensor sizes, the focal length won't mean the same on all of them. Both kit lens (the 14-42 and the 18-55) covers about the same field of view (28-84 vs 26-82.5). I'll spare you the details but check sensor equivalence on youtube if you want to know more.

If $800 is very expensive for you, I can't think of something else as nice as the G7 that doesn't cost more. The Sony A6000 is a very good still camera and the video if fine, but there's no flip screen, only tilt and no touchscreen nor 4k, but it is inexpensive. Usability is more important than the sensor itself in 2018 since most cameras have good sensors.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2006
892 posts
175 upvotes
Pickering
You're wrong. The G7 has VASTLY superior low light performance for video. I don't know about stills, but for video, it wins. I invite you to look at some footage on youtube.
Thank you for your input GIn. I really like the G7 but it is so expensive... i dont know what to do. I think I will probably get the 3400..
[OP]
Sep 16, 2006
892 posts
175 upvotes
Pickering
Why does the Rebel T6 have to suck so much? I look at sample images and video and they are barely better than my iphone 7 plus. I'm not dropping $500 for a marginal improvement. I just checked with B&H and I'd have to pay import fees/duties on the camera which would put it way outside my price range, so it looks like it's going to have to be the Nikon D3400...
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1044 posts
341 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 1:15 pm
You're wrong. The G7 has VASTLY superior low light performance for video. I don't know about stills, but for video, it wins. I invite you to look at some footage on youtube.
Thank you for your input GIn. I really like the G7 but it is so expensive... i dont know what to do. I think I will probably get the 3400..
I might not have writing clearly, but that's what I'm trying to say. The Nikon D3400 has the worst video out of the 3 even if for stills, it's the best.

The G7 vs D3400, it's only $151 difference (I'm looking at the price you put). I don't know about your financial situation, maybe you have been saving for months, but if it's the case, after so much effort, why not go a little bit further and really get the camera that is made for video in mind and not an after thought like that D3400.

Wait for others to reply and see if you have more options. Also maybe check out the Olympus E-M10 mk II or mk III
[OP]
Sep 16, 2006
892 posts
175 upvotes
Pickering
Gin Martini wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 2:22 pm
I might not have writing clearly, but that's what I'm trying to say. The Nikon D3400 has the worst video out of the 3 even if for stills, it's the best.

The G7 vs D3400, it's only $151 difference (I'm looking at the price you put). I don't know about your financial situation, maybe you have been saving for months, but if it's the case, after so much effort, why not go a little bit further and really get the camera that is made for video in mind and not an after thought like that D3400.

Wait for others to reply and see if you have more options. Also maybe check out the Olympus E-M10 mk II or mk III
It'd actually be like $300+ difference due to taxes and duties... I can get the G7 from Downtown Camera in Toronto for $900 (including a zoom lens and the kit lens) but they have no deal with just the kit lens.
Ultimately I really want to get the camera in April and the financial situation atm is what it is. What's the video quality like on the E-M10?

EDIT: Just checked out the Olympus M10 II/III for video/still quality. It's not what I'm looking for. And yes the video is trash on the D3400 but if it comes down to it I can always record 4K on my iphone 7 plus...
[OP]
Sep 16, 2006
892 posts
175 upvotes
Pickering
What are people's opinions on buying used? I've seen Lumix G7's for $500 used. I can afford that. What do you guys think?
Please help. I'm such a noob for photog.
Oct 11, 2016
217 posts
105 upvotes
Those cameras you mentioned are bottom tier, if you want a "good camera" you're gonna have to spend more. I'd recommend a GH5 for video, it's probably the best video camera out there. You can't go wrong with the Fuji X-T20, X-T2, X-H1 or Sony A6500 or A7III. These are all mirrorless, don't even bother with DSLR. Definitely buy used if you find a good deal, just make sure everything's in order.
Feb 7, 2018
155 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto ON
Depends on your application. Somebody to correct me if I am wrong, but for videos a DSLR will auto-turn-off after 10mins to protect the sensor from overheating. Bear this in mind. I am also a Youtuber. Have Nikon D7000, but I shoot my vids with my Nikon AW120 which can shoot straight 26mins plus it is a rugged camera (I mostly shoot outdoors) so I don't care if there is rain or snow or whatever and I usually shoot 720p 30fps. We also do have a small Canon, but generally I am a Nikon fan, so personally I would go for the D3000 series - small, lightweight, good for everyday use.
Sep 25, 2017
30 posts
8 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Out of all those, get the Nikon.

Although you've said you want to make movies, what kind? Outdoors, indoors, will you be moving the camera a lot or will it stay in one position?
Lighting can always be changed, and usually for free, just takes a bit of moving around, i.e. if indoors, are you under a ceiling light, is the light bouncing off a mirror or walls, are you near a window with lots of sun light coming through, are you in a tight corner of the room and a has a lot of shade, so on.

If buying from abroad, ensure there is worldwide warranty.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1292 posts
217 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 3:02 pm
What are people's opinions on buying used? I've seen Lumix G7's for $500 used. I can afford that. What do you guys think?
Please help. I'm such a noob for photog.
Buy used. You might find something like a Canon 70D in your price range. Or a used G7 for less, allowing you to pick up a lens you might find more useful than the kit lens.

The T6 and D3400 are low featured, consumer grade cameras. However, they'll take clean and sharp photos when paired with a good lens. The sensor on the 3400 is the best of the bunch.

And your iPhone will not take nearly as good photos as any of the three cameras you listed, especially when you push the ISO even a little bit.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2006
892 posts
175 upvotes
Pickering
betercallsaul wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 4:49 pm
Those cameras you mentioned are bottom tier, if you want a "good camera" you're gonna have to spend more. I'd recommend a GH5 for video, it's probably the best video camera out there. You can't go wrong with the Fuji X-T20, X-T2, X-H1 or Sony A6500 or A7III. These are all mirrorless, don't even bother with DSLR. Definitely buy used if you find a good deal, just make sure everything's in order.
Look everyone, it's a rich person who thinks everyone can drop $4000 on a GH5! Wow, thanks for your very helpful information! I had no idea a GH5 was better than a T6! You might want to use your millions of dollars to buy yourself some common sense.
I'm looking at Cameras that cost $500-700 and you're recommending a camera that costs 8+ times as much. That really makes sense bro.

There's nothing wrong with having money but when you lord it over people that tends to make those of us that are lower class and lower middle class very angry.

I've been Looking at the Olympus M10 MkII which I can afford and the stills are gorgeous but the video quality is trash.
Oct 11, 2016
217 posts
105 upvotes
The GH5 is 2000 not 4000, but you still need to chill, maybe take some medication. Also you don't have to be a millionaire to appreciate nice cameras.

You asked for suggestions for good cameras and I gave you the best cameras you can buy for the money. Including cameras that go for 800 used like the x-t20, which I have. You never stated a budget so don't get angry and say I'm "lording over people" whatever that means.

If you think the Olympus m10 is trash at video then I don't know what you expect out of the three you mentioned.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2006
892 posts
175 upvotes
Pickering
betercallsaul wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 2:34 pm
The GH5 is 2000 not 4000, but you still need to chill, maybe take some medication. Also you don't have to be a millionaire to appreciate nice cameras.

You asked for suggestions for good cameras and I gave you the best cameras you can buy for the money. Including cameras that go for 800 used like the x-t20, which I have. You never stated a budget so don't get angry and say I'm "lording over people" whatever that means.

If you think the Olympus m10 is trash at video then I don't know what you expect out of the three you mentioned.
I've looked at videos and stills exhaustively from numerous cameras. Canon T6 has better video quality than either D3400 or M10 IMO.
And I don't kn ow what kind of reaction you expected telling a guy who's looking at $500 cameras to look at a GH5...
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2673 posts
1330 upvotes
Toronto
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 3:02 pm
I've looked at videos and stills exhaustively from numerous cameras. Canon T6 has better video quality than either D3400 or M10 IMO.
And I don't kn ow what kind of reaction you expected telling a guy who's looking at $500 cameras to look at a GH5...
What did you end up buying? I'm thinking of getting the Lumix G7 as a starter camera. It lacks some of the features I want, but it's still the most affordable camera in it's class.