• Nov 25th, 2014 5:27 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 6, 2005
680 posts
178 upvotes

Help with PetCare/24PetWatch Policy

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me out. I have been with PetHealthInc Master Care Plus for the past 10 years on my dog. Over the years the rates have gone up and up. I called in this month to have it reduced and they are now pushing the 24PetWatch insurance program as the old policies no longer exist.

I am just wondering if anyone has switched and if so how was your experience. Usually with insurance companies you pay less and get less I find it hard to believe I pay less and get more.

Thanks T
2 replies
Nov 7, 2008
96 posts
11 upvotes
Unfortunately I've had no experience with either of these companies. More of a general question you've had the insurance for 10 years. With the premiums and deductible has it been worth it?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I also have had no experience with the referenced insurers. But I would make very certain that your pup's age is grandfathered to the age he/she was when you initially enrolled. The costs for signing up a 10 year old dog would be very high. You might want ask your vet if he/she is familiar with the company - vets generally know which companies are best - they have dogs too.

I know all about premiums being raised. Our dog's insurer was a Cdn. company that was sold to a U.S. company. While he is almost 11, he was signed up at 13 months so he is still at that rate - which of course has increased to a monthly amount equal to 2.5 times the original premium and there is now a deductible - previously there was not. Existing clients were also not grandfathered for the new conditions that were covered. And you are right, they often find a reason not to pay.

Our big issue has been "rechecks" that have gone on since May of 2011 and are not covered. But when a dog is almost 11 it is a little late to cancel.