• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2017 6:23 pm
[OP]
Sep 2, 2011
139 posts
35 upvotes
KANATA

Help (please!) - Bell Internet Issues

Hoping some techy can give me an insight on how to fix....

Recently switched from Rogers to Bell for my internet/tv provider. Initially was working alright (though internet speeds slightly slow). A couple days after install I noted that my cell phone would either not connect to wifi or connect intermittently. My laptop was fine. I went to reset the box, then nothing was working! Called for tech help and after about a 30 min wait and an hour on the phone, their suggestion was to sign up at $6/month for tech support as the guy insisted that the home hub modem was working. On the phone help line we did a reset, and factory reset, which had the phone working but then not the laptop! Then neither worked again or phone worked intermittently. Computer and phone was restarted, updates checked (was fine), but internet was not working. I then noted that my bell fibe tv pvr would also not function. Finally the guy said he would send a tech out, due to scheduling and my work - the next available date was 3 days away. Before the tech came I (accidently) unplugged the modem, it was off for a couple min/sec max, then i replugged it, and everything seemed to connect internet wise (both phone and laptop) but TV was not working! Anyways, tech came seperated my 2.4/5G and fixed the TV and everything seemed to be working for the day (including decent speeds), however a day or 2 later, nothing is connected again! I can see other bell networks, and could connect to my neighbours (rogers) wifi. I tried unplugging it again (and taking out the battery) but that didn't seem to help like that last time.

Any Ideas on whats going on?
Phone = samsung S4 running on 5.0.1/Kernel 3.4.0
Computer = HP Pavillion with Windows 10 (won't support 5G)
Modem Home Hub 3000 is installed in the basement by the electrical box (installers choice of location, my previous rogers box was upstairs)

Random side note: the contract has internet listed, but I just got the bill online and it only has the TV and phone, so maybe they've disconnected it on their end???
Oh and TV works fine!

TIA!!! any ideas/troubleshooting tips welcomed! (very frustrated!)
Last edited by goaliegirl6060 on Nov 4th, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15013 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
First thing would be to call and make sure Internet is part of your service package as "pay per use" internet on Bell can be pricey.

Your modem has a removable battery?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9027 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Look at the modem or take a photo to see if its online or not. If this is your modem https://www.bell.ca/Styles/RSX/shop/img ... -modem.png Then the light on the far right should be solid if its not then you are dropping DSL connection and bell has to come fix it.

You can also plug in a network cable to the back of the modem and into your computer/laptop Does it work now?

Also you can connect to your modem with the network cable and check the config/settings of it.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Sep 2, 2011
139 posts
35 upvotes
KANATA
audit13 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:16 pm
First thing would be to call and make sure Internet is part of your service package as "pay per use" internet on Bell can be pricey.

Your modem has a removable battery?
Package has internet Fibe 300 unlimited in the contract, but then again the bill didn't have it on it just TV/Phone. But on the phone they said the modem was fine. I will try to see about checking to see if it's working via network cable as mentioned above, maybe they cut me off or something! (That happened with Rogers in the past - thought they had installed at the wrong address because of B/C house designations - so they immediately cut all services and took a week to "reinstall")

Yes a battery (like a smaller laptop looking one)! I guess a newer thing? It is supposed to be an extra $30 one time charge, noticed on the bill and was like wtf - and the 'comped it. It is supposed to last 4 hrs during a power outage. (hopefully you have a laptop/phone fully charged?)
[OP]
Sep 2, 2011
139 posts
35 upvotes
KANATA
sickcars wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:28 pm
Look at the modem or take a photo to see if its online or not. If this is your modem https://www.bell.ca/Styles/RSX/shop/img ... -modem.png Then the light on the far right should be solid if its not then you are dropping DSL connection and bell has to come fix it.

You can also plug in a network cable to the back of the modem and into your computer/laptop Does it work now?

Also you can connect to your modem with the network cable and check the config/settings of it.
Thanks for the recommendations! I am not home but will take a look for sure at the lights again - I know in the past it has been on/off, but when on still doesn't work.
I will try the network cable and try some trouble shooting and see if that helps :) If it doesn't connect I guess that gives us another clue!
Thanks again.
[OP]
Sep 2, 2011
139 posts
35 upvotes
KANATA
sickcars wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:28 pm

Light On: check. But still not working
Plug in connections: seems intermittently to connect. Unable to access my bell home hub online (Initialization failed"), so cannot even look at settings, Also not online long enough to do a speed test!
UGH

Anyways I will call and demand a new modem.
Thanks for your help!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9027 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
How are you trying to connect to the modem? is it with the IP 192.168.1.1 (or something similar?) Did you make sure you disconnected the wireless from the laptop/computer when you connect it via a network cable just to make sure thats not causing an issue.

goaliegirl6060 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 8:54 pm
Light On: check. But still not working
Plug in connections: seems intermittently to connect. Unable to access my bell home hub online (Initialization failed"), so cannot even look at settings, Also not online long enough to do a speed test!
UGH

Anyways I will call and demand a new modem.
Thanks for your help!
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Sep 2, 2011
139 posts
35 upvotes
KANATA
sickcars wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 10:05 pm
How are you trying to connect to the modem? is it with the IP 192.168.1.1 (or something similar?) Did you make sure you disconnected the wireless from the laptop/computer when you connect it via a network cable just to make sure thats not causing an issue.
so i spend 1.5 hrs on the phone with bell last night. to no avail. they are sending a tech on Monday with a new modem.

I did not think about d/c the wifi, while connecting (nor did the tech tell me to) for fun I will try tonight - BUT it is really the wireless that needs fixing.

Does anyone think it could be something to do with the network adaptor drivers? I ran an update, says up to date. Should I try to reinstall?
My mom has bell I am thinking a visit over there tonight, to see if i can connect wirelessly to hers may give some insight. If so, seems like a modem issue. If not, then maybe it is something with my laptop (adapter). BUT it has worked intermittently the past week, so at times it has connected fine.

Oh and I messed up saying my laptop was an ACER, it is an HP Pavillion running windows 10!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9027 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you are having issues running it on the laptop & cell phone and it still wont work with a network cable going to the computer then its a modem/config issue and not a network card issue.

If its not working now, I would leave it alone and let the tech see it so he can fix it. Ask him whats wrong & how to fix it. Also watch how he connects to the modem to configure it. It should also give you instructions with a manual that the modem probably came with.
goaliegirl6060 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:46 am
so i spend 1.5 hrs on the phone with bell last night. to no avail. they are sending a tech on Monday with a new modem.

I did not think about d/c the wifi, while connecting (nor did the tech tell me to) for fun I will try tonight - BUT it is really the wireless that needs fixing.

Does anyone think it could be something to do with the network adaptor drivers? I ran an update, says up to date. Should I try to reinstall?
My mom has bell I am thinking a visit over there tonight, to see if i can connect wirelessly to hers may give some insight. If so, seems like a modem issue. If not, then maybe it is something with my laptop (adapter). BUT it has worked intermittently the past week, so at times it has connected fine.

Oh and I messed up saying my laptop was an ACER, it is an HP Pavillion running windows 10!
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Sep 2, 2011
139 posts
35 upvotes
KANATA
Thanks again for the help everyone!
Got a new modem and things are connecting!
The only issue is the laptop is slow. The tech mentioned something about LAN card settings?
His laptop was getting 300 vs 100 for me out of the modem connected via network cable.

Anyone know anything about this LAN settings he was referring to?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7113 posts
880 upvotes
Toronto
goaliegirl6060 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:13 pm
Modem Home Hub 3000 is installed in the basement by the electrical box (installers choice of location, my previous rogers box was upstairs)
The location of the modem/router could be responsible for speed problems. In general, the higher it is, the better the coverage and performance in a given area. The basement is almost never a good location.