PC & Video Games

HELP! Quebec residents getting screwed by Microsoft Xbox!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2019 9:37 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes

HELP! Quebec residents getting screwed by Microsoft Xbox!

So it was brought to my attention that the reason I can't take advantage of the $1 for Gold and Gamepass is because I'm from Quebec. I can see the deal on my dashboard but every time I go to pay it reverts back to full price! Has anyone from Quebec changed their address to another province as a work around and did it work? How complicated is it to change your address with Xbox?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2119 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Probably tied to your general hotmail/msn account, so if it can be changed, it needs to be done there. Should be easier than cross country, since all you need is an address somewhere else in the country and I can't see how they verify that unless Ontario has its own ip address. Even then, drive over to Ottawa, spend a buck (and a day at the canal) and go back.

Alternatively, call up Trudeau and tell him if Quebec doesn't get the deal, he's fired come november.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes
Damn such a backwards province! And you wonder why no business want to come here! I actually used to have an american address tied to my xbox live account originally. I changed over to my home address just to avoid the exchange rate now that the canadian dollar is down again. It's not a difficult process to change your address. Just wondering if any other Quebecers have done this and did it work?
Jan 12, 2011
59 posts
116 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Well you could just change your "home" address to somewhere in Alberta, for you know, lower taxes (5% vs 15%) and to get this deal (if it's really a province-related problem). I definitely didn't do that Winking Face
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4037 posts
2426 upvotes
More like Quebec residents are getting screwed by Quebec.
Jun 13, 2015
99 posts
34 upvotes
L'Assomption
I have my adress in AB to save taxes, but I couldn’t have the 1$ deal also. Tried on my xbox and in Chrome.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4376 posts
515 upvotes
Ottawa
In Quebec free trials that automatically bill if not cancelled are illegal.
Jan 10, 2009
764 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto
Damn, if only Quebec hadn't passed a law that prevents a trial from turning into a subscription at a different price. It's not Microsoft, it's the Quebec government that you have a beef with. Try figuring out who to correctly point your ire at, i.e. the Quebec Protection du Consommateur agency. Microsoft are only following the law that has been in place for about 8 years.

In fairness you'll be charged the $17 but still get all the benefits of the GPU for however long your current subscription is, so it's still worth it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jul 7th, 2019 6:37 pm
In Quebec free trials that automatically bill if not cancelled are illegal.
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 8:31 am
Damn, if only Quebec hadn't passed a law that prevents a trial from turning into a subscription at a different price. It's not Microsoft, it's the Quebec government that you have a beef with. Try figuring out who to correctly point your ire at, i.e. the Quebec Protection du Consommateur agency. Microsoft are only following the law that has been in place for about 8 years.

In fairness you'll be charged the $17 but still get all the benefits of the GPU for however long your current subscription is, so it's still worth it.
Well as I said before I have been able to take advantage of these game pass and xbox live gold for $1 deals in the past without issue until this most recent deal. IF this law has been in effect for 8 years then how is this possible?

That being said you do have to admit that what Microsoft is doing IS a SCAM! They are banking on customers either not knowing or forgetting to turn off auto-renewal and they make millions on this. It's happened to me already and never again! A trial should be a trial not a subscription.
Jan 10, 2009
764 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 8:35 pm
Well as I said before I have been able to take advantage of these game pass and xbox live gold for $1 deals in the past without issue until this most recent deal. IF this law has been in effect for 8 years then how is this possible?

That being said you do have to admit that what Microsoft is doing IS a SCAM! They are banking on customers either not knowing or forgetting to turn off auto-renewal and they make millions on this. It's happened to me already and never again! A trial should be a trial not a subscription.
Just because something is a law doesn't mean everyone follows it, nevermind an international corporation following a parochial law very specific to Quebec. But you're on RFD, and have been for some time, this kind of offer being illegal in Quebec is discussed all the time and has been for years. Same as free trials for Netflix, Spotify and any other recurring subcription service.

And no it's not a scam. You're potentially getting years of this extra bonus service out of this and you can cancel it at any time. If you don't put an entry in your calendar to tell you to cancel a subscription you no longer want, well that's your problem quite frankly. Don't put people's inability to manage their own finances and services onto others, that's the individual's problem. Do practically every subscription based service in the world take advantage of this, well yes, but it's not a scam. There's nothing dishonest about it, everything is quite clear when you sign up for them.

And incidentally you did ask this specific question back in May, and had it explained to you then, so don't know how you're suddenly unaware of it 2 months later. https://forums.redflagdeals.com/microso ... 2277212/7/
Last edited by The Canterbury Tail on Jul 9th, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1480 posts
1005 upvotes
Canada
Literally every promo the first question is:

1.) are you quebec resident?

Its ghetto bro
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9791 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jul 8th, 2019 8:35 pm

Morons that don't clearly see the rules about the pricing which is not really hidden at all on the Xbox are to blame as the reason for you not getting the deal...

Not sure how anyone could sign up to a trial and not read. Unless it's a total scam.

Even saw an episode of marketplace that was about this same type of thing where people got charged but didn't cancel crying about it was never stayed, yet when I checked a few of the sites they mentioned the info wasnt actually hidden at all.