• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2014 10:08 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3908 posts
124 upvotes

**HELP** Samsung S3 4.3 update issues

Hi guys.
I had my S3 unlocked & was working fine with Rogers.
That is, until I got the update from samsung to 4.3
I was getting push notification to update all the time & I did.
Now, I have a problem. I can't call out!!
Everytime I make an outgoing call, the phone gets disconnected. Incoming is fine.
Then I have to reset it (take the battery out & all), & then its ok for a while & then back to square one!
Can anyone tell me what I should or could do to fix this?
Any help will be appreciated.
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3908 posts
124 upvotes
therollin wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 7:55 pm
reset??
I did. After reset, its ok for a while but then again the same problem.
Happened a few times in the past couple of days
May 27, 2007
228 posts
3 upvotes
hmmm interesting, im going to subscribe to this thread, im on koodo and have a s3 on 4.3 and i have reset and even reflashed 4.3 with odin, and the other day i tried calling the personals car insurance (1-888 number) and it kept saying call cancelled or disconnected or something and never going threw, yet my other calls go threw, but i dont call much at all. i thought it was maybe a network issue, but im curious if its now a problem with the update.
Jun 22, 2007
827 posts
140 upvotes
London, ON
LOL I was having the same problem till I figured it out last night I think. It has something to do with the LTE/4G settings. My problem occurred when the phone would switch towers while travelling. As soon as I was in a new area and tried to make a call, it immediately would go to call ended until I toggled in and out of flight mode. There are two things you can try.

Go into dial pad call settings, then to additional settings. Click on caller ID and make sure it is set to network default.

The other thing that you can try is by going into phone settings, more networks, mobile networks, network mode and make sure LTE/WCDMA/GSM (autoconnect) is selected. I personally only have WCDMA/GSM selected as I think the problem lies within the LTE signal. OR try and dial *#2263#* ,that will take you to the Service mode menu. Just select "[1]Automatic" from the list.

I did everything above and I tried calling from various places in my travels today and have had no problems with dialing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3908 posts
124 upvotes
davethegr8 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 10:54 pm
LOL I was having the same problem till I figured it out last night I think. It has something to do with the LTE/4G settings. My problem occurred when the phone would switch towers while travelling. As soon as I was in a new area and tried to make a call, it immediately would go to call ended until I toggled in and out of flight mode. There are two things you can try.

Go into dial pad call settings, then to additional settings. Click on caller ID and make sure it is set to network default.

The other thing that you can try is by going into phone settings, more networks, mobile networks, network mode and make sure LTE/WCDMA/GSM (autoconnect) is selected. I personally only have WCDMA/GSM selected as I think the problem lies within the LTE signal. OR try and dial *#2263#* ,that will take you to the Service mode menu. Just select "[1]Automatic" from the list.

I did everything above and I tried calling from various places in my travels today and have had no problems with dialing.
I already have all the same settings as you mentioned above^ :(
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11055 posts
670 upvotes
Toronto
AndroidRootGuy wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 10:53 pm
Root, MobileODIN, and flash 4.1.2.. or root + 4.1.2 custom rom.
Is it true that going to 4.1.2 from 4.3 will brick the phone? I saw posts on xda that warned people not to do this.

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3908 posts
124 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 6:51 am
Is it true that going to 4.1.2 from 4.3 will brick the phone? I saw posts on xda that warned people not to do this.

Thanks.
I was wondering the same :O
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1738 posts
335 upvotes
Mississauga
MobileODIN does NOT flash bootloaders. But if you flash the full 4.1 tar using ODIN, your phone will die and require JTAG, thats why i am suggesting MobileODIN

I personally tried it on Note2 which was updated to 4.3, and brought it down to 4.1.2 using mobile ODIN. I also upgraded to 4.3 on S3 i747 using MobileODIN, and was able to downgrade back as didn't get stuck with Knox bootloader (this doesn't help you unfortunately as you are already on official 4.3 update with knox bootloader).

Sorry, no step by step, but in general. I am not taking guarantee of this process.

Root
Install MobileODIN
Download and copy 4.1.x.tar to phone SD
Open with MobileODIN and flash
Do a factory reset once its done.
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11055 posts
670 upvotes
Toronto
AndroidRootGuy wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 2:26 pm
MobileODIN does NOT flash bootloaders. But if you flash the full 4.1 tar using ODIN, your phone will die and require JTAG, thats why i am suggesting MobileODIN

I personally tried it on Note2 which was updated to 4.3, and brought it down to 4.1.2 using mobile ODIN. I also upgraded to 4.3 on S3 i747 using MobileODIN, and was able to downgrade back as didn't get stuck with Knox bootloader (this doesn't help you unfortunately as you are already on official 4.3 update with knox bootloader).

Sorry, no step by step, but in general. I am not taking guarantee of this process.

Root
Install MobileODIN
Download and copy 4.1.x.tar to phone SD
Open with MobileODIN and flash
Do a factory reset once its done.
If I use MobileODIN, I can use a stock 4.12 image from here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/?m ... #firmware?
Jul 5, 2009
206 posts
8 upvotes
Brampton
I have the same issue with my Telus Samsung S3, unlocked. > :( Forcing to WCDMA mode mitigates most problems, but usually can't make outgoing calls if the phone disconnects and then re-connects to the network. Always have to reset. At least I am able to receive calls.

Just a warning, but I had issues with the LTE radio before the 4.3 update as well, so downgrading to 4.1.x may be risky and not worth it.

I wonder if it is because of the unlocking. I used the free method in this forum.

This issue is so annoying, my mobile is the primary means of contacting me. I am considering getting another phone, except, that my S3 is just over 1 year old. I like the size and screen quality, and most key features, so paying $500+ for a similar spec'd phone so soon is not really appealing.

Also, anyone have their microSD card borked by the S3? Happened to me. :mad:
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1738 posts
335 upvotes
Mississauga
Did this on T999V Wind S3. Same process should* apply on i747M S3.

*DO NOT ATTEMPT IF NOT COMFORTABLE. I have not provided detailed steps on purpose. Seek professional help if lost/bricked/etc.

Root, buy the mobile Odin Pro from Playstore and install 4.1.2 tar using it. Check wipe data/cache.

Baseband will not work on reboot. Root, recovery, and install 4.3 modem for your device. Voila!
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
× < >