Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

HELP: Sony Trinitron TV, can't change channels on remote

My dad picked up the remote, smashing his fingers along the buttons while focused on the screen. He somehow took off sound (easy to fix), and decided to fix it by randomly hitting as many buttons as he could (hard to fix) before calling me over.

I don't know what he did, but there was no sound and I couldn't change the channel. Managed to restore sound, but none of the numbers or channel +/- buttons on the remote respond at all. That said, the channel +/- buttons on the TV itself work fine.

Manual's no help, turning the TV on/off makes no difference, and it's still like this after I restored the factory default settings.

Swapped batteries, no change. Pressed the white TV button, no reaction.

When I press the # buttons, nothing lights up, but the DBS/Cable one blinks when I press channel +/- on my remote.

The TV is one of the KV27 models from the late 90's, the remote is the RM-Y165 version.

Please help!
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
16 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2003
1799 posts
143 upvotes
batteries dead :cheesygri

i'm thinking a button is stuck. can you open up the remote easly?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2005
1509 posts
I have that remote too! Push once the tv button.

Edit: the white one...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Swapped batteries awhile ago, forgot to mention...no effect.

Pressed the TV button, nothing happens.

When I press the # buttons, nothing lights up, but the DBS/Cable one blinks when I press channel +/- on my remote.

Anything else?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2005
1509 posts
Edit: if you click on dbs/cable then click on tv...
Try the two black buttons then all three whites ending with tv.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Madcatmk2 wrote:Edit: if you click on dbs/cable then click on tv...
No luck. The DBS/Cable button will flash red, but not the TV button.

Then I toggle between TV/Video mode though, the TV button flashes, so it's not broken...argh.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
1456 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
The white TV button toggle control to the TV, for the rest 2 you need to program it via a vendor specific code with the "code set" button.
You may be stressed, but so am I, this is not settled. What? Ultra ********? Violently funny?
Resistence is futile, you get what you paid for, discover the exceptions, enjoy life
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2005
1509 posts
Ill reset mine and find out how i did it when i go home next friday. Last thing i can think of, when the white tv button flashes push and hold it for 5 secs.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Madcatmk2 wrote:Ill reset mine and find out how i did it when i go home next friday.
Reset mine a bunch of times now, nothing changes for me...the TV button doesn't "do" anything, no idea why.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
willy wrote:Does the TV has the "Channel lock" function ? I lock mine to channel #3 at all time. Possible ?
None mentioned in the manual, don't see a button for it...since the channel +/- on the TV itself works, I'm not sure what to think.

Wow, this is troublesome! :confused:
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1343 posts
14 upvotes
If the remote is used for multiple products then he may have re-programmed it for a different model.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
luthair wrote:If the remote is used for multiple products then he may have re-programmed it for a different model.
Only one product, the VCR/DVD player are both Toshiba; we always use different remotes to control those. That said, even though we never use them, the Sony remote does have controls for VCR/DVD devices...if that matters?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1892 posts
215 upvotes
Try removing the batteries from the remote and also unplugging the TV for a few minutes and then powering the stuff back on to see if that makes a difference.

If you have another Sony remote to try, that may be a start to see if the remote is just "defective".

If it is the remote that is defective, I just bought an almost identical remote (difference is mine has the glow in the dark buttons) as shown in the picture by the other poster from a Princess Auto for $6.99 last week... I believe the sale is still on until the first few days of April (reg price is on $9.99 so it's still a decent price if the sale is over).

Hope this helps.
× < >