Help Spec'ing a Rendering Machine?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 10:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 29, 2007
623 posts
158 upvotes
I really appreciate the help here, everyone! Some really awesome info and so much that I didn't even think to look into... such as the RAM speed with Ryzen.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
The Gskill FlareX has gotten good results on ryzen with many people getting it close to the advertised sppeds. Ryzen seems to prefer Samsung B die chips. Nevertheless, I would be suprised if you can get any 32gb kit above 2933. Then again rendering is not as RAM sensitive as gaming.

I can vouch for MSI products. I have the b350 tomahawk and the MSI user boards are excellent. I had issues initially, but one of teh Beta BIOS from June resolved my issues and I'm running my RAM at the advertised speeds. I have a cheap corsair kit.
Jul 1, 2009
669 posts
109 upvotes
Don't use the 400C. I have the 400Q and it's not great for airflow. (that being said, it could just be that I have a hot 290x, but two 1080Tis isn't going to be cool by any means).
Unless you have space restrictions, I'd go for a full tower with really good airflow.

Also, you might not need to use the SLI bridge - check with the software first. Just saying.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2007
623 posts
158 upvotes
ghost1001 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:30 pm
Don't use the 400C. I have the 400Q and it's not great for airflow. (that being said, it could just be that I have a hot 290x, but two 1080Tis isn't going to be cool by any means).
Unless you have space restrictions, I'd go for a full tower with really good airflow.

Also, you might not need to use the SLI bridge - check with the software first. Just saying.

Thanks for the info on the case and no, they won't be running in SLI.

What about the Corsaid 750D Airflow case:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Rwh ... c9011078ww
Last edited by orbitdesign on Jul 17th, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
I know we're going back and forth on this, but why are you guys recommending against water cooling? I think water cooling would be way better for this build. It's going to dump all the heat from the CPU outside of the case. Now the OP has gone from cheaper water cooling to more expensive air cooling. I think the original option was better. The one thing I will say is that you can probably get a decent water cooler for cheaper than that.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Jul 1, 2009
669 posts
109 upvotes
orbitdesign wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:32 pm

Personally I haven't used it, but it will be better than the 400C
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:37 pm
I know we're going back and forth on this, but why are you guys recommending against water cooling? I think water cooling would be way better for this build. It's going to dump all the heat from the CPU outside of the case. Now the OP has gone from cheaper water cooling to more expensive air cooling. I think the original option was better. The one thing I will say is that you can probably get a decent water cooler for cheaper than that.
I think the original idea was to use a cheap (but very effective) air cooler like the 212 series (212 EVO is the latest revision I think). That cooler is $40. And if noise/heat is a concern, then OP can swap to a pair of quieter fans.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
ghost1001 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:18 pm
Personally I haven't used it, but it will be better than the 400C

I think the original idea was to use a cheap (but very effective) air cooler like the 212 series (212 EVO is the latest revision I think). That cooler is $40. And if noise/heat is a concern, then OP can swap to a pair of quieter fans.
No, the OP posted this build:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/krj3D8

Then @mr_raider came in saying that the water cooling was a bad idea. I disagree and think it's a much better idea than either something lousy like a 212 or else the new super expensive air cooler the OP has included in his build. Like I said, water cooling will dump all that CPU heat outside the case. That is particularly important when you're running two high end GPUs. Heat is going to be the biggest concern with this build.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:37 pm
You pay for it with poor case air circulation, hot RAM and VRMs. If his machine will be up 24/7 rendering, I would not put my faith in some cheap Chinese pump (make no mistake, the pump is the weak link). My suggestion remains, a quality Coolermaster 212, with an upgrade 20$ fan will do the job. I had a Corsair Hydro fail on me and I'm severely biased against closed water loops.

Or you say eff teh cooling and go open concept:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... Aua18P8HAQ
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
orbitdesign wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:32 pm

I like it. It had CM690 once upon a time and it was pretty good for air flow

Teh tehrmaltake overseer is also excellent, although a bit gamer fugly IMHO:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6811133194

Teh fractal design is also a no nonsense option:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6811352029
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 5:59 pm
You pay for it with poor case air circulation, hot RAM and VRMs. If his machine will be up 24/7 rendering, I would not put my faith in some cheap Chinese pump (make no mistake, the pump is the weak link). My suggestion remains, a quality Coolermaster 212, with an upgrade 20$ fan will do the job. I had a Corsair Hydro fail on me and I'm severely biased against closed water loops.

Or you say eff teh cooling and go open concept:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... Aua18P8HAQ
Actually airflow improves with water cooling. You don't have a huge hulking heatsink blocking airflow, plus it sucks the air directly out of the case. I have had an h60 for over 5 years now, still working great, no leaks. So I guess I am biased the other way.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1671 posts
331 upvotes
Windsor
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 6:38 pm
Actually airflow improves with water cooling. You don't have a huge hulking heatsink blocking airflow, plus it sucks the air directly out of the case. I have had an h60 for over 5 years now, still working great, no leaks. So I guess I am biased the other way.
I'd pick air cooling for the simple fact it's reliable; no leaks, no pump dying ... even if the CPU fan dies, the heat capacity of the cooler will allow it to simply be a crappy cooler while the fan doesn't work, versus a cooling system failure meaning you essentially have no cooling whatsoever / potentially a bigger deal if you have a leak. Installing a new fan is super easy too, especially versus reinstalling an entirely new cooling system if the pump fails.

Watercooling is potentially better to get heat out of the case (and debatably for airflow; it's not a windtunnel in there ... the speed that air is generally moving in a case, it's probably not a big deal), but just not in the case of this specific build IMO. The heat dissipation of his chosen components isn't immense, and if he's not on-top of keeping his case clean, those radiators can be fantastic dust collectors. In the case of this build, the two videocards will be venting a considerable amount of the heat out of the case, and an 1800x only draws like 120w @ most (so, maybe 150w for the CPU, drives, and ancillary crap inside the case, excluding heat-leakage from the videocards); the heat-load for his build would be pretty low ... definitely well below the "needs watercooling" threshold, again IMO, and a decent case with smartly configured fans would keep things plenty cool to keep the components far away from throttling.

Not that watercooling sucks, it's just that in this case, it doesn't seem to make sense.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
From what I recall, GPUs don't always reach full load under computational loads. When running folding@home using openCL my GTX 970 is only loaded to 45%. The fan barely spins up under those loads.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1751 posts
744 upvotes
Saint John
Put me in camp air cooler as well. I just can't stand the pump noise they make personally - a quiet hum like a fish tank at best, a horrible rattle with some models. I also agree on the reliability issues as I don't trust the pumps, and the heat staying in the case is not an issue with a good case.

However, OP's build has a very poor choice of air cooler, Noctua U9B-SE2, which is a small 92mm tower cooler that is now EOL as it's been superseded by a new 92mm model. The $143.96 price is absurd considering that this cooler used to sell for $50-$60 when it was widely available. I'd go with something that performs a bit better than the CM 212 - a Cryorig H7 perhaps, which also has a much nicer mounting system than the 212.

My suggestions:

Excellent bang for buck: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/
Top of the line: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... B984BD8348

Whatever you do OP, do not spend $144 on a $50 cooler!

Anyways, decided to make some modifications to the build. Saved money in places (cooler, PSU, identical performing CPU after mild OC) and spent it where it counts more (better cooled GPUs, better HDD). I also would feel better with a full tower case for dual GPUs that will be crunching all the time. The 750D would work, but the Phanteks is highly recommended and cheaper. Build still comes out almost $100 cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($439.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard ($217.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($324.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($319.99 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Hitachi - Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($189.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($929.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($929.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $3701.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-17 23:13 EDT-0400