• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 10:00 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16115 posts
1746 upvotes
Montreal
I just had a brain fart about the CM 212 Evo, and the Cryorig. A lot of these coolers are not Am4 compatible out of the box. I remember I had to get an upgrade kit for my 212. To avoid trouble the OP should get a cooler that's AM4 compatible out of the box, or order the kit along with the cooler. Noctua and CM make Am4 kits.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2007
604 posts
155 upvotes
Thanks for all of the info on this! I think this build seems pretty great, though I'm tempted to wait until Threadripper releases, just to see how that would fair in this machine.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10245 posts
3628 upvotes
orbitdesign wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 8:17 am
Thanks for all of the info on this! I think this build seems pretty great, though I'm tempted to wait until Threadripper releases, just to see how that would fair in this machine.
Yes, I think threadripper would benefit this type of rig big time. When is it coming out though?
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2007
604 posts
155 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 9:40 am
Yes, I think threadripper would benefit this type of rig big time. When is it coming out though?
I'm not entirely sure, other than soon. Alienware is shipping their Threadripper systems starting July 27th with the 1950x (16-core) priced at $999 USD

Early August is the best I can find for a retail release, but it's close enough that it's probably best to wait.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1713 posts
732 upvotes
Saint John
mr_raider wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 7:01 am
I just had a brain fart about the CM 212 Evo, and the Cryorig. A lot of these coolers are not Am4 compatible out of the box. I remember I had to get an upgrade kit for my 212. To avoid trouble the OP should get a cooler that's AM4 compatible out of the box, or order the kit along with the cooler. Noctua and CM make Am4 kits.
That is an excellent point. Only issue is that it's really hard to tell which HSFs actually come with the AM4 bracket in the box. Noctua and Cryorig will both send you one for free, but it adds a delay to your build. With some companies, you have to pay for the AM4 bracket.

One would hope that with the amount of time AM4 has been available we'll start to see it supported OOTB as the norm.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10245 posts
3628 upvotes
What do you guys think about the cooling with Threadripper? Time for water cooling? 16 cores are going to put out a lot of heat! I know I would want it all dumped outside of the case. My one concern is that is an *expensive* rig in the event of a leak.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2007
604 posts
155 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 11:24 am
What do you guys think about the cooling with Threadripper? Time for water cooling? 16 cores are going to put out a lot of heat! I know I would want it all dumped outside of the case. My one concern is that is an *expensive* rig in the event of a leak.
I'm seeing the Corsair H100iv2 used by Tom's Hardware for they're overclocked 1700x builds as well as Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4.
What are the odds of a leak?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10245 posts
3628 upvotes
orbitdesign wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 11:29 am
I'm seeing the Corsair H100iv2 used by Tom's Hardware for they're overclocked 1700x builds as well as Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4.
What are the odds of a leak?
Leaks with water cooling seem extremely rare, however you do hear about them from time to time. I have been running an H60 for over 5 years without any issues. It's hard to go back to air cooling once you have experienced water cooling. It's dead silent even under full load, and the temperatures are outstanding. Plus like I keep saying, it dumps all the heat outside of your case, keeping all your other components cool. Actually if I were you I would look into water cooled GTX 1080 Ti cards also.

https://www.amazon.ca/EVGA-11G-P4-6598- ... +ti+hybrid

It looks well worth it to me. Only about a $100 premium. You will easily gain at least 10% in performance because your sustained boost clocks will be much higher. Also your entire computer will run much cooler, and everything will be dead silent even under full load.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10245 posts
3628 upvotes
orbitdesign wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 11:58 am
So, if I go this route:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/jordan ... ved/pKqD3C

Does the mainboard have everything that's needed for two water-cooled GPUs and the CPU? I've never used water cooling before.
The mainboard will be fine. You will need a good case. The case will need to be able to accommodate a 240mm radiator and also two 120mm radiators. Also your PSU should have two 8-pin and two 6-pin GPU power cables.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2007
604 posts
155 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 12:01 pm
The mainboard will be fine. You will need a good case. The case will need to be able to accommodate a 240mm radiator and also two 120mm radiators. Also your PSU should have two 8-pin and two 6-pin GPU power cables.
Okay, thanks. From what I'm seeing, the case and PSU shown in the build should work well. Not sure if I'll need additional fans if I go the watercooling route, though.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10245 posts
3628 upvotes
orbitdesign wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 12:37 pm
Okay, thanks. From what I'm seeing, the case and PSU shown in the build should work well. Not sure if I'll need additional fans if I go the watercooling route, though.
No additional fans necessary AFAIK.

That case looks really nice by the way. Great price as well.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2007
604 posts
155 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 1:14 pm
No additional fans necessary AFAIK.

That case looks really nice by the way. Great price as well.
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to building this.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10245 posts
3628 upvotes
To whoever is repeatedly downvoting me in this thread every time I mention water cooling, please stop it, I don't appreciate it. The downvote feature is not an excuse for laziness. If you disagree with something I have to say, how about you actually say something about it, instead of downvoting me? It's really stupid. I'm here trying to help the OP build the best system they can. Please find something better to do with your time other than downvoting me for no apparent reason. Thanks.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1607 posts
316 upvotes
Windsor
orbitdesign wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 8:17 am
Threadripper will be interesting regarding cooling; I expect they'll have to come with their own coolers, given the surface area is WAY bigger than everything else. If they come with their own coolers, which I expect they will (since no aftermarket ones have surfaced yet that I've seen), they'll probably be plenty capable ... the Ryzen coolers are actually quite good, for the chips that come with them.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.