HELP! - Speeding ticket for Ontario resident in New York

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2015 11:58 am
May 21, 2006
270 posts
7 upvotes

HELP! - Speeding ticket for Ontario resident in New York

Hi Guys,

On Saturday I got a speeding ticket on I-81 South (near Binghamton, NY).

The cop was sitting in the middle of the North/South lanes. He got me on Radar doing 79 MPH in 55 MPH - 24 MPH over the limit. (126 KPH in 88 - 38 KPH over). Did not say anything to the cop except to provide my license/insurance/registration.

The ticket he gave me says I need to mail a guilty / not guilty by Aug 3 2010.

Since Ontario / NY share driving info, this works out to 4 points in ontario, which I believe is considered a major ticket.

Can anyone suggest a "X-copper" type lawyer that I can use to fight this?

I want to reduce the charge as low as possible and ideally drop it all together.

thanks much
-klad007-
112 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1234 posts
21 upvotes
IIRC New York state (as with most states) don't allow the use of para legals, as such you need a lawyer. Just google for a traffic lawyer in binghampton. Be prepared to open your pocketbook though.

As for the ticket: its considered a minor ticket to the insurance companies. Same as doing 15 over.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5856 posts
100 upvotes
klad007 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 1:25 pm
Hi Guys,

The cop was sitting in the middle of the North/South lanes. He got me on Radar doing 79 MPH in 55 MPH - 24 MPH over the limit. (126 KPH in 88 - 38 KPH over). Did not say anything to the cop except to provide my license/insurance/registration.

Since Ontario / NY share driving info, this works out to 4 points in ontario, which I believe is considered a major ticket.

I want to reduce the charge as low as possible and ideally drop it all together.

thanks much
i didnt know you would lose points for a ticket in NY state

good info.. actually could someone confirm?
--
[OP]
May 21, 2006
270 posts
7 upvotes
here is the link to the MTO site:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... erit.shtml

from the site:

Drivers convicted of a driving related offence in the State of New York, the State of Michigan or any Canadian province or territory, will have home jurisdictional penalties such as demerit points and/or suspensions applied to their Ontario driver record as if the offence occurred in Ontario.

Tomy wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 3:29 pm
i didnt know you would lose points for a ticket in NY state

good info.. actually could someone confirm?
-klad007-
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24864 posts
2452 upvotes
Ottawa
klad007 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 1:25 pm
Hi Guys,

thanks much
Only a real lawyer can be used in American courts. Or, you can hire a para legal to give you advice before you stand before a judge. Lawyers are big bucks and para legals take your money and guarantee nothing.
Unless there are mitigating circumstances that will guarantee that the officer has done something wrong or illegal, you stand no chance of lessening the charge.
It does not matter if you got the ticket by a State cop, County cop or City or Town cop. It all goes to the State records department and then eventually to Ontario MTO. Ontario has reciprocal agreements with 40 some states if I remember correctly. Eventually your Ontario record will annotated with the charge and the accompanying 4 points.
[OP]
May 21, 2006
270 posts
7 upvotes
I did a quick search on google and found lots of lawyers that fight tickets.

can anyone recommend a specific lawyer that they used? where they successful and how much was the ticket reduced by?

Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 3:40 pm
Only a real lawyer can be used in American courts. Or, you can hire a para legal to give you advice before you stand before a judge. Lawyers are big bucks and para legals take your money and guarantee nothing.
Unless there are mitigating circumstances that will guarantee that the officer has done something wrong or illegal, you stand no chance of lessening the charge.
It does not matter if you got the ticket by a State cop, County cop or City or Town cop. It all goes to the State records department and then eventually to Ontario MTO. Ontario has reciprocal agreements with 40 some states if I remember correctly. Eventually your Ontario record will annotated with the charge and the accompanying 4 points.
-klad007-
Sep 23, 2007
901 posts
6 upvotes
klad007 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 10:41 pm
I did a quick search on google and found lots of lawyers that fight tickets.

can anyone recommend a specific lawyer that they used? where they successful and how much was the ticket reduced by?
Feifer & Greenberg, LLP

1-877-529-4849
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6284 posts
442 upvotes
Help me
chances are very slim that someone got a ticket in NY, and decided to fight it, AND they are on RFD... AND they read your thread.

Good luck.
Aug 24, 2009
112 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Guess What!

I was in a similar situation, got clocked going 83 in a 65.

I took apn64's advice in this thread.. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/will-spe ... io-869579/

Got word back today, it was lowered to 70mph in 65, which converts to NO points in ontario!

I would suggest trying to do it yourself, the ex-copper type places I called around to do it were giving me quotes of $400+ with no guarantee.

This cost me less than $30 including postage, and I received the 'best case scenario' other than the ticket being completely thrown out, as was told to me by the places I called!

Good luck! Hope you didn't already pay the lawyer!
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
tushar17 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2010 11:11 am
Guess What!

I was in a similar situation, got clocked going 83 in a 65.

I took apn64's advice in this thread.. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/will-spe ... io-869579/

Got word back today, it was lowered to 70mph in 65, which converts to NO points in ontario!

I would suggest trying to do it yourself, the ex-copper type places I called around to do it were giving me quotes of $400+ with no guarantee.

This cost me less than $30 including postage, and I received the 'best case scenario' other than the ticket being completely thrown out, as was told to me by the places I called!

Good luck! Hope you didn't already pay the lawyer!
And your insurance?
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Nov 26, 2006
534 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Hey,

I was in a similar situation this past April.

I was driving on the very dark and empty interstate in Nebraska around 2am and was getting tired, so I decided to switch and have my dad drive. So indicated to the right and started moving towards the farthest right lane of the road. Then the farthest right started becoming an entry lane... I didn't notice that till I stopped the car. So I was parked between the 2 white lines that separate the highway and the entry lane for cars entering the highway.

BAM State trooper comes out of NOWHERE... he was pretty much hiding in the entry lane. $59 ticket or court date May 25th. I completely forgot about it till I read this thread... so I've missed the court date and haven't paid the $59... I've heard from my friend that my license might be suspended now... any truth to this?
Aug 24, 2009
112 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
no points, depending on your insurance company - if you just have 1 of these tickets they will not hike up your insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5856 posts
100 upvotes
tushar17 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2010 1:47 pm
no points, depending on your insurance company - if you just have 1 of these tickets they will not hike up your insurance.
so this shows up on ur ontario driver's abstract?
--
Aug 24, 2009
112 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Tomy wrote:
Jul 20th, 2010 2:40 pm
so this shows up on ur ontario driver's abstract?
Hmm, that I am not sure of. I would assume so since I was told it gets reported to MTO
× < >