• Mar 16th, 2010 6:37 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34301 posts
6253 upvotes

Help - unusual buzzing noise from my microwave oven

I just got home from a work assignment and was told (by my family) that there was something wrong with the microwave oven. I looked it up quickly on the web and found this.

If you hear an unusual buzzing noise, the magnetron (the component that actually generates the microwaves) or other electronic module may be broken. This is not easily fixed; contact a service technician.

I'm a tenant and I have a $50 deductible to pay but was wondering if I can ask the landlord to replace the oven for fear of radiation or problem from the existing one. The unit is already 5 years old and we were the first tenant.

I don't mind other appliances replaced but because I'm no rocket scientist, I'm not sure what the effects of a broken microwave is. It head up food but I am telling my wife not to use it anymore for fear of too much irradiation, or am I just paranoid?

Thanks.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6028 posts
968 upvotes
Mississauga
I also have a buzzing sound coming from my 25 year old Sears microwave that's has been heard for a couple years. When I lift the front end and let it back down again it goes away giving me the indication there may be a screw or two loose and it's the exterior cabinet that's buzzing.
In order for the landlord to want to reply they may want to know if the buzzing is indeed as a result of your "in bold" statement, which could be a safetly feature. Also the replacement maybe a cheaper model.
Jan 2, 2009
145 posts
4 upvotes
Pembroke
it pretty easy if landlord does not want to replaced it ..go to waltmart and get one for less than 100 $ put the broken one in a closet and when you moved out put it back in
cheer
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3798 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa
Sounds like this is an over the range (OTR) microwave, am I correct? Which one?

I had a GE/Camco model JVM OTR microwave that one day decided to arc. I could see the flash come through the ventilation holes on top. The sound was like a gun shot, and the neighbour came over and asked if everything was OK, since she heard it, too!

I promptly removed the microwave and installed a range hood instead.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5760 posts
543 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 10:42 am
I'm a tenant and I have a $50 deductible to pay but was wondering if I can ask the landlord to replace the oven for fear of radiation........
It's the metal in the cabinet and a metalized screen/film on the door window which protects you from the radiation. Whether the magnetron is malfunctioning or not is irrelevant.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34301 posts
6253 upvotes
MacGyver wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 11:59 am
Sounds like this is an over the range (OTR) microwave, am I correct? Which one?

I had a GE/Camco model JVM OTR microwave that one day decided to arc. I could see the flash come through the ventilation holes on top. The sound was like a gun shot, and the neighbour came over and asked if everything was OK, since she heard it, too!

I promptly removed the microwave and installed a range hood instead.
I'm not sure if the Whirlpool microwave is an OTR but it is placed above, but not connected, to the stovetop/oven.
woof wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 12:03 pm
It's the metal in the cabinet and a metalized screen/film on the door window which protects you from the radiation. Whether the magnetron is malfunctioning or not is irrelevant.
Thanks for the reassurance but what about irradiation of food? I thought microwave radiation is just to excite the water molecules to heat items up. Will a broken magnetron cause anything other than excited molecules? So do I keep using it until I hear a blast?
Aug 9, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 10:42 am
I...was told (by my family) that there was something wrong with the microwave oven
Did YOU confirm this? I.e., does it make the noise no matter what's in it?

Were they heating butter? It's normal for some foods, like butter, to 'hum' or make an unusual buzz while heating.

Try running it with power at 0; still a noise?
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 12:52 pm
I'm not sure if the Whirlpool microwave is an OTR but it is placed above, but not connected, to the stovetop/oven.

Does it control the range exhaust fan?
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34301 posts
6253 upvotes
stealth wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 1:20 pm
Does it control the range exhaust fan?
No it doesn't. It's just set above the oven, nothing else.

No. I wasn't cooking butter. Even with it empty and having removed the revolving plate, the sound was obvious. Also, the sound just begun two days ago.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
How much do microwave ovens cost in CT and Walmart?
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
longitude wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 8:29 pm
How much do microwave ovens cost in CT and Walmart?
cheap little ones can be had for $50-100. easily.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Mar 2, 2010
197 posts
1 upvote
halton region
use your $50 to buy a new one and keep this for your new house, that's my take. {surprised you agreed to a $50 deductible with your landlord}
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34301 posts
6253 upvotes
Thanks for your responses guys. The landlord gave me the go signal to replace the microwave and I'm okay paying the $50 deductible.

Are there appliances stores in the GTA that offer installation? What about over at Futureshop? How much would installation cost? I'm thinking my landlord will have to absorb this cost anyway if it's not a whole lot.

I looked through the manual and though installation doesn't appear daunting, I think it will take me at least an hour to install the microwave since it's one of those Microwave Hood Combinations:

http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/assets/ ... 393453.pdf

Thanks again.
× < >