Toronto

Help upgrading!

I have a Toshiba Satellite A500-01x

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model Satellite A500
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, 2267 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

I had it for more than 4 years. It's basically a desktop cos ive been using it without a battery now for a long time(battery died in less than 2 years iirc) and I have replaced its hd before.
Do you think replacing my hd with an ssd and adding ram are still worth it? I'm currently studying computer networking and will be running some virtual machines (not simulteneously tho just one at a time). I dont play any games nor do any heavy task on my pc. But i do watch a lot of movies and series. If Im buying a new one, I think my budget is about $500. Stick to this and upgrade some parts or get a new one? If you think i should get a new one, can you give me a recommendation relative to my budget?

Thank you! :D
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
The memory is DDR3 so it won't be too expensive to upgrade it..... You probably need to buy 2x 4GB DDR3-1066.

The hard drive upgraded to SSD will give you more of a upgrade though
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5636 upvotes
I upgraded the ram and installed a spare 60gb ssd on a 5 yr old netbook and the difference was incredible. It made a virtually useless computer into something totally useable for my kid to play around with.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky