Tags:
None
[OP]
May 17, 2007
3634 posts
748 upvotes
Burnaby

The *Help us help YOU* travel deal request/advice thread

To help save on forum clutter, I thought this could be handy for the usual requests we see all the time. Please include these specifics:

BUDGET
  • Moot point searching for deals if we don't know what you're willing to spend at the upper limit*
  • Realism:
-Last minute deals are hard to find during Christmas, Spring Break, Easter and summer months.
-Prior year's pricing is redundant. A screamin' deal on a previous booking likely won't happen twice.

DATES
  • Fixed or flexible? Prices change enormously altering by a single day. Be as detailed as possible.
  • High, Shoulder, Low or Hurricane season?
Preferred destination
  • Country, city, off the beaten track, bucket list etc
  • Adventure, culture or beach vacation?
Who's traveling
  • Adult only or family vacation
  • Group or wedding?
Point of Origin + alternatives
  • Airports, cross border drives, etc
Star/ratings + meal requirements
  • AI/BP/EP (all inclusive/breakfast plan/european plan)
  • Relaxing or Party atmosphere
Optional:
  • Packages or air/hotel only
  • Preferred hotel chains/airlines
My only request is that you check back within a day or 2 for posted replies. Most deals are time sensitive, and I'd hate you to miss out on a promo!
1448 replies
Nov 8, 2006
616 posts
2 upvotes
Good idea for this thread!

- $1500 max but prefer under $1300, if possible, unless the place is well worth the extra money
- December 26 to January 1... the trip can be the entire duration or a subset, if prices and/or availability are much better for a shorter trip during that period
- Pretty flexible on destination at this point... #1) sun destination (e.g. dominican, virgin islands, other carribean islands, etc) #2) winter destination like out west in vancouver or calgary (lake louise would be cool).... #3) U.S. city like road trip to Boston or fly to Cali or New Orleans
- a group of 4-8 friends that are all between 25-30 years old
- either GTA area or Buffalo
- Either depending on destination
- No preferred hotel chains

Thanks!
[OP]
May 17, 2007
3634 posts
748 upvotes
Burnaby
charles_316 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 11:46 pm
Good idea for this thread!

- $1500 max but prefer under $1300, if possible, unless the place is well worth the extra money
- December 26 to January 1... the trip can be the entire duration or a subset, if prices and/or availability are much better for a shorter trip during that period
- Pretty flexible on destination at this point... #1) sun destination (e.g. dominican, virgin islands, other carribean islands, etc) #2) winter destination like out west in vancouver or calgary (lake louise would be cool).... #3) U.S. city like road trip to Boston or fly to Cali or New Orleans
- a group of 4-8 friends that are all between 25-30 years old
- either GTA area or Buffalo
- Either depending on destination
- No preferred hotel chains

Thanks!
:D . Perfect, thanks. That's exactly what I was hoping for :) .

Itravel's Xmas dealios:
http://www.itravel2000.com/christmashotdeals.aspx

Here's a link to short AI trips but the dates are off a bit. Can you travel until Jan 4th?
http://www.cheapcaribbean.com/deals/vac ... kages.html

Grid of everywhere for your travel dates (notice the HUGE price differences):
https://www.tripcentral.ca/vacation-gri ... ,0?a8=4744
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1216 upvotes
Halifax
jacksorbetta wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 11:55 pm
I'll do dah search and pm you.
Please don't pm. It would be better to share the results with the rest of RFD in case someone is looking for something similar.

As well, it makes you look like a travel agent who is trying to abuse RFD to drum up some business. I'm not saying that you are, but it's how it looks.
[OP]
May 17, 2007
3634 posts
748 upvotes
Burnaby
FunSave22 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 5:41 am
Please don't pm. It would be better to share the results with the rest of RFD in case someone is looking for something similar.

As well, it makes you look like a travel agent who is trying to abuse RFD to drum up some business. I'm not saying that you are, but it's how it looks.
Oh, good point. Hmm, wonder if when replying we should use a simple interface ie Dear *insert member name* re: post # *whatever it was*.
I was just thinking it would keep the multiquotes to a minimum so we're not scrolling through 3 pages for the same reply?

Ps... I'm not an agent-just do it for love of the chase :razz:
Jun 9, 2005
7155 posts
282 upvotes
Scarborough
jacksorbetta wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 9:56 am
Oh, good point. Hmm, wonder if when replying we should use a simple interface ie Dear *insert member name* re: post # *whatever it was*.
I was just thinking it would keep the multiquotes to a minimum so we're not scrolling through 3 pages for the same reply?
Or also add an URL to the request post #
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5032 posts
709 upvotes
Can we reply to a post and say "It's not going to happen?"

Some people are unreasonable by using prior prices paid as what they want to pay. For example, the lowest price ever to Japan was in the range of $300. It's not going to happen again for a while. This fits in your "realism" requirement but provides a response so the poster doesn't keep their hopes up.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
[OP]
May 17, 2007
3634 posts
748 upvotes
Burnaby
rf134a wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 12:05 pm

Some people are unreasonable by using prior prices paid as what they want to pay. For example, the lowest price ever to Japan was in the range of $300. It's not going to happen again for a while. This fits in your "realism" requirement but provides a response so the poster doesn't keep their hopes up.
Sure lol. Or "price expectation fail" :lol:
Aug 25, 2009
229 posts
14 upvotes
great thread! Please let me know if you guys can help me out with this:

Trip Type - All inclusive

BUDGET
$500 - $800

DATES
VERY flexible. I have a week of vacation left and has to be taken before January 31 2013.. Can leave any time during that month.

Preferred location - Somewhere in the Carribean (probably DR the most) or Cuba, NO HURRICANE/BAD season places

Who's traveling - just me and my bf

Point of origin - willing to go to Buffalo only but prefer flying out of Toronto. Price would have to be worth it for us to go to Buffalo

Meal and Star - Meals has to be all inclusive and 3.5 stars and up.

Atmosphere - flexible. We want a relaxing vacation but want to do excursions and have fun too.. preferably a place with other people our age in the mid 20s

Optional: Package ONLY. No preferred hotels/airlines.

Please let me know if you guys think this is feasible and when i should start booking it.. like I said, I am really flexible in January... almost like a pick up and leave type of deal!

Thanks for your help guys!
[OP]
May 17, 2007
3634 posts
748 upvotes
Burnaby
cartoonangel wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 1:12 pm

BUDGET
$500 - $800

DATES
VERY flexible. I have a week of vacation left and has to be taken before January 31 2013.. Can leave any time during that month.

Preferred location - Somewhere in the Carribean (probably DR the most) or Cuba, NO HURRICANE/BAD season places

Meal and Star - Meals has to be all inclusive and 3.5 stars and up.

BLACK FRIDAY SALE!!!!
$615 each tax in
http://secure.itravel2000.com/engine/Va ... d=93437020

http://www.tripcentral.ca/vacation-grid ... 0,2,0?a4=2

^best option for your budget. I'll have a look later for particular recommendations. When doing Cuba, be picky lol.
Ps... my coworker just returned from http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review- ... _Cuba.html and said it was amazing. She's returning in Feb for another 2 weeks (they're 23-had a blast, loved the food)

*flexi dates, for ^ hotel : http://www.tripcentral.ca/vacation-grid ... ,0?a3=1121
Aug 8, 2010
22 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton
Looking for Flight deals/advice please.

DESTINATION
- Edmonton to Edinburgh, preferably the Air Canada route (Edmonton to London, London to Edinburgh, only one stop) for 2 adults.

DATE
- May 12-21 or May 13-22 (10 days), we can also go in July but prefer these dates.

BUDGET
- Less than $1300? I've only seen $1500 per person.

Need advice on whether to buy tickets now or wait until there's a spring sale. Never been to Europe so not sure when's the best time to book and the average price range for flights.

Thank you!
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10756 posts
1274 upvotes
Edmonton
rf134a wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 12:05 pm

I agree about this.

While the op is offering a tremendous service and deserves kudos, it should be noted the best bargains in travel happen when you dates and destinations are infinitely flexible.
[OP]
May 17, 2007
3634 posts
748 upvotes
Burnaby
blainehamilton wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 2:02 pm
I agree about this.

While the op is offering a tremendous service and deserves kudos, it should be noted the best bargains in travel happen when you dates and destinations are infinitely flexible.
+1

However, not everyone can pack 'n' go at a moment's notice. Myself, I have to submit my vacay request time off in Dec- for the entire year.
Nov 21, 2012
2 posts
NEW WESTMINSTER
Hi, Thanks for any help you guys can give-Below are the details of the return flight I am looking for. Also please note-I did manage to find a return flight for $1004 but a month or so ago I found the flights for $975 so any help you can give would be great.

Budget: $1005 (I have found a deal for $1004)
Dates: April 23rd-March 7th-I am flexible on this but need to be there for the 25th March and May 4th
Travel locations: Vancouver/Bellingham to London (Any airport in London-Gatwick if given the choice)
1 Adult

Flight only-looking for a return flight.