Automotive

Help us settle family debate - drop by with your strong opinion ;-)

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2019 1:19 am
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
181 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Help us settle family debate - drop by with your strong opinion ;-)

We need to replace our aging minivan but can't agree on what the next best option is. Despite justifying the extra room for years (so handy for transporting furniture! we can fit the kids' friends back there!) we really don't need the extra row of seats and most gear fits fine in the trunk. We're considering a compact SUV over another minivan, but that's a world we know nothing about.

We're averse to buying new - so much $$ - but want to buy new enough that we don't need to think about repairs for a while. Safety, reliability and functionality very important, we're not obsessed with trims or upgrades. (Though do want a reversing camera.) Good on gas a big bonus! We're a family of four, kids are out of car seats. Would be great if this thing had some resale value in four or five years' time.

If presented with the following choices, which would you go for and why? And which would you avoid? (The first three are all dealer cars FYI.)

1. 2015 Honda CR-V EX AWD, factory warranty valid til Nov/22 or 160k, 70,000kms, $22,000
2. 2017 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD, ex-rental, factory warranty til 60k/powertrain to 100k, 46,000kms, $22,900
3. 2017 Toyota Sienna L, ex-rental, factory warranty til 60k/powertrain to 100k, 52,000kms, $22,900
4. lease a new SUV or minivan for three years then decide whether to take the buyout
5. forget the warranty, save money and roll the dice on a pre-2014 used van/SUV for under $10-15,000 (and if so, which one!)
55 replies
Jan 21, 2011
263 posts
104 upvotes
If you can get a new rav, that might be better. Base 2019 is $30k, I would look for a new 2018 with the upgrade package at least. Problem with buying cars with about 60k is that breaks and tires might need replacing along with some of the fluids. Look for a demo vehicle with low km if you can’t find new, like less than 10k.
Feb 28, 2009
380 posts
58 upvotes
Ottawa
Right now you can lease a brand new crv for 0.9 up to 36 months I believe m. Increase your security deposits to bring down interest rate to 0. Then decide what you want to do.
Dec 28, 2010
520 posts
216 upvotes
If you go with a three year lease you'll buy yourself time and as your family changes you decide in three years.
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie

-Iemand een frikandel speciaal?-
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29967 posts
15800 upvotes
Ottawa
Skip the ex-rentals and go for a lease.
Jan 12, 2008
811 posts
342 upvotes
TDot
lamin wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 5:40 am
If you can get a new rav, that might be better. Base 2019 is $30k, I would look for a new 2018 with the upgrade package at least. Problem with buying cars with about 60k is that breaks and tires might need replacing along with some of the fluids. Look for a demo vehicle with low km if you can’t find new, like less than 10k.
If you buy it certified breaks and tires should have some decent use left still. Besides even those are cheap compared to the depreciation of a new car.
Sep 30, 2004
669 posts
74 upvotes
Markham
I would recommend #4 leasing. As you don't know how you like going to a smaller car.

We currently switched out the sienna for the new Rav hybrid. It takes some time to get use to esp the sliding doors were great for tighter spots. Overall we are happy with our switch and love the gas savings.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4305 posts
902 upvotes
Wat
Just curious, how old is your van now? I'm just wondering as I'm in a similar situation.
Mar 3, 2019
83 posts
65 upvotes
Lease something new. Good incentives for leasing at Honda right now. 3-4 years is the usual for lease terms, Honda products usually have strong residual values.
Just my opinion; think about you and your family first in terms of a vehicle rather than thinking about their friends and other people. Ask yourself these questions:
1. What will the car be carrying
2.Where will the car be driving
3. Does the car need to fulfill any emotional need
Apr 22, 2019
92 posts
45 upvotes
If you like the RAV4, I’d suggest looking for another 2015/16/17 that isn’t an ex rental car. Rental cars suffer from a lot of abuse and are usually trashed, another thing to also look out for is vehicles that have been in accidents. If you’re happy with the rav4 and find one a year or so older that wasn’t a rental and that is in your price range, I’d go for that. I believe that generation of rav4 has been considerably reliable.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7348 posts
3614 upvotes
Kootenays
You certainly don't need AWD in Vancouver. We went from Villager minivan to a FWD Venza in 2010. 2 boys, 13 and 10 at the time, with the 13 yo being 6'5". We never looked back. We live in the mountains and drive on snowy roads all winter. With dedicated winter tires, the car will go anywhere. We now have 265,000 km on the Venza.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6300 posts
2720 upvotes
Alberta
I have a Honda Odyssey and am in the same situation. Love the room for hauling people and stuff around. We’re looking at some type of SUV. RAV 4, CX-5 or Santa Fe etc but not a CRV or another Honda vehicle. But, seriously leaning towards a new Ford Explorer for the 4x4.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
181 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thanks all... responses/thoughts:

- we're currently in a 2009 minivan, it served us well but it's time has come
- option #1 is Honda certified - so buying used would still give us a solid three years and 90,000kms of warranty... but yeah, it's used (then again, is $10k+ less than new - that buys quite a few brakes and tires)
- stay away from the ex-rentals, got it!
- leasing new is def an option, I'm just nervous about sinking three years of payments into something that we eventually decide we don't want = no equity... can you help me understand the benefits? (new car I guess is the big benefit)
- if we dig for more options: older RAV 4 vs older Honda CR-V - which way would you jump?

Appreciate all the assistance so far!