Automotive

Help us settle family debate - drop by with your strong opinion ;-)

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2019 1:19 am
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1167 posts
430 upvotes
1) screw getting ex-rentals
2) if you are paying 22k for a 2015 CRV, might as well go 25k for a 2017 CRV.
3) If you want best value, I think the rogue is the way to go. New vs Used is a balance only you can determine what you would be comfortable with. Some people are OK with paying a repair here and there, and others arent. Also you can get a 2018 SL for ~30k. Get a car with all the safety tech features though. You never know when forward collision mitigation will save you. In 2017 that was SL trim. In 2018+ some of those features dropped to the base level, but SL was still best.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
181 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ziaa wrote: 3) If you want best value, I think the rogue is the way to go. New vs Used is a balance only you can determine what you would be comfortable with. Some people are OK with paying a repair here and there, and others arent. Also you can get a 2018 SL for ~30k. Get a car with all the safety tech features though. You never know when forward collision mitigation will save you. In 2017 that was SL trim. In 2018+ some of those features dropped to the base level, but SL was still best.
Thanks. Finding a new 2018 Rogue SL in Vancouver is the challenge, LOL. The 2019 S seems to have most safety features though. I have seen a 2018 SL Rogue on a lease takeover - $568 + tax/month for 9 months then residual of $25768. Mileage is low. Hmm.

Of course now I'm thinking if I'm going all-in on a new lease on something with great safety features, why not get a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid... this is how you get sucked into car buying fever LOL.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1167 posts
430 upvotes
kitscha wrote: Thanks. Finding a new 2018 Rogue SL in Vancouver is the challenge, LOL. The 2019 S seems to have most safety features though. I have seen a 2018 SL Rogue on a lease takeover - $568 + tax/month for 9 months then residual of $25768. Mileage is low. Hmm.

Of course now I'm thinking if I'm going all-in on a new lease on something with great safety features, why not get a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid... this is how you get sucked into car buying fever LOL.
Why limit yourself to vancouver? Look right through to alberta. Its a day or so drive, but the car will be with you for years.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7444 posts
2099 upvotes
Settle your family debate by staring an RFD debate...

Hmmm.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
181 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Gutty96 wrote: Settle your family debate by staring an RFD debate...

Hmmm.
?? I'm not trying to start any debates. I'm not a car person, I don't know many car people, I'm out of my depth and very grateful for people weighing in with their thoughts.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7444 posts
2099 upvotes
kitscha wrote: ?? I'm not trying to start any debates. I'm not a car person, I don't know many car people, I'm out of my depth and very grateful for people weighing in with their thoughts.
Sorry, didn't mean it that way. I know it wasn't your intentions.

It's just a comment to the nature of RFD Automotive. Give them a multiple choice and there will be a debate to follow. I have been guilty of contributing myself to those debates from time to time. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
4432 posts
2964 upvotes
kitscha wrote: Update: checked out a few models on the weekend, think we'll be fine to downsize to a compact SUV. Yes, smaller than a minivan but a good use of the space. I saw a 2017 Nissan Rogue that I liked - wasn't really on my radar before.

So - another theoretical question. Our credit is solid but our income is unpredictable (self-employed). In an ideal world, we'd keep this car for 5-6 years and then move to another model before age/mileage becomes too much of an issue. Knowing those things, would it be better to:

a) buy a used 2017 Rogue SV AWD for around $22,000 + tax. Down payment $10k, finance the rest @ 5.99% across three years. Up side: own the car outright at the end of three years. Down side: one year left on comprehensive, two years on powertrain warranty. So for the final year of payments we'd be outside of all warranties.

b) lease a new 2019 Rogue SV AWD (in stock at dealer for $34,000 + tax). Assume 0.99% interest for two year lease, no down payment. At lease end, use $10k + financing (assume 5.99%) to buy out car across two years (dumb question: is buyout price always just net cost less lease payments?) Up side: drive a new warrantied car without tying up down payment and maintaining cashflow (we'd have two years to build a dedicated $10k down payment instead of using current savings), and all payments made while car under warranty. Downside: four years of payments, and paying for the depreciation on a new car.

Thoughts? Which is smarter?

(The Rogue is used for the sake of argument - could sub any SUV of similar residual value)
a) you pay $10K down and borrow the rest. Your $12K loan @ 6% will cost you $13.4K. You car will be worth $13K after 3 years (2022). So you basically paid ~$10K for 3 years of depreciation for around $277/mth for 36 months. Out of 36 month, you would have 24 months of major component warranty and 12 month with 0 warranty.

b) That's not how leasing work. From what I can tell, you will be looking at $450-500/mth (tax included, depends on province) for 36 months with RV around $18K. Rate is posted at 2.5% (payment could be lower if you find other form of discounts or dealer margin reduction). For those 3 years, you will have bumper to bumper warranty.

You will always pay more for a new car. It's just how comfortable are you at operating a vehicle out of warranty.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
181 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Gutty96 wrote: Sorry, didn't mean it that way. I know it wasn't your intentions.

It's just a comment to the nature of RFD Automotive. Give them a multiple choice and there will be a debate to follow. I have been guilty of contributing myself to those debates from time to time. :)
Gotcha, no problem :-) Car buying is so emotional and such a big investment, I guess some debate is inevitable - both in the group and internally for the potential buyer LOL.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8141 posts
1810 upvotes
I would buy the 17 for 1/3 less
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10885 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
Nathanisking wrote: Benefits of leasing are you are essentially paying for the depreciation. You are also covered mechanically for warranty and you'd be keeping up with trends quicker than buying out. I don't understand why we aren't at the point where vehicles are a service rather than an investment. Given how infotainment screens and technology evolves so quickly, it makes sense for car to be lease. Why would I want to buyout a car with dated tech? Would you buy a 4 year old iPhone? Cars depreciate so badly I don't understand why anyone would want to "own" one. My whole thing is this:
Lease for 3 years or Buyout for 3 years. After 2 years who owns that car? Still the bank. You do not own it until the loan is paid off in full.
I dunno. I use a car to get from point A to B and to haul stuff when needed for stuff like camping trips. It's nice to have a radio, power windows and locks. Sure it'd be nice to have the bells and whistles but that's a self created desire. I bought a 08 RAV4 2 years ago. Has been great so far. In that time, it prob depreciated 2.5k? I've changed the brakes myself. Bought it cash. Came with winter tires. I'm familiar and comfortable with car mechanics so don't need to pay a premium to get a car under warranty which I personally think ppl worry too much about. It's basically an insurance against Lenons from the factory.

But I don't blame them since they've probably never held a wrench or socket driver in their hand. And if you're diligent, can pick out ones that have passed the lemon stage by reputation and my own and mechanic assessment of it's condition, service and owner history. Basically, people today want the equivalent of super computers without really understanding why.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
181 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Update: so Nissan is now showing the Rogue with 0% financing/leasing (depending on term). On top of that some local dealers also have listed $2500 'cash back' on some models, including the model I've been looking at, and that's confusing me. I'm not sure of the nature of the cash back - one site lists it as 'manufacturer offer, standard finance cash' (so I'm not sure if that's an either/or with the 0% rate??) but another calls it a rebate, and several don't mention it at all (including the main Nissan site). Is this kind of offer a true discount, or is it a way of manipulating the financing? Can anyone shed some light on this for someone who never properly read a car ad until last month? :-)

If that $2500 was a true discount, would you add that into your calculations like this:
Invoice price (via Unhaggle thread) minus $2500
Multiply by 1.03 to give dealer 3%.
Add the freight/PDI etc (approx $1840)
Add tax.

Have I got that right?