Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
1137 posts
47 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Help!!! Vertical Red Lines On New Plasma Panasonic Tv

bought a Panasonic 42" widescreen plasma on boxing day (the $999 panasonic doorcrasher at Future Shop)...model is TH42PE7U

got rogers to come and install the HD box about 2 weeks ago.....everything with the tv was fine before that...all of a sudden, recently we noticed a whole bunch of thin red lines vertically down the centre of the tv.....combine together they are about 2" or 3" wide.

we don't know if it is the HD box that's interfering with it, not sure if the symptoms started immediately or a little bit after the installation of the box.

the red lines are there only if you leave the tv off for a longer period of time (say overnight) and you turn on the tv again...they go away after 5/10mins...

not only are the lines there when we watch cable, but also when we are watching dvds...AND even when i unplugged everything and nothing is plugged into the tv!

i've tried unplugging the hd box and the tv...nothing seems to work, thoughts?

not sure what to do as my 30 days return period is ending this week and they dont' have a tv in stock for me to exchange.....since it is a doorcrasher and they won't be getting anymore...

PICTURES:

thanks in advance...
999th post - June 25, 2007 11:29PM
1000th post - June 25, 2007 11:30PM
1234th post - May 30, 2009 5:55PM
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
It's most likely to be a connector problem or an interaction between the scaler of the cable box and the scaler of the TV. What type of connection, HDMI or component? Can you switch? Have you tried changing output resolutions on the Rogers box (e.g., 720p or 1080i)?

Don't worry too much if it does turn out to be a TV hardware problem - one thing you get from Panasonic is excellent in-home customer service.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
Aske001 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2008 8:31 pm
It's most likely to be a connector problem or an interaction between the scaler of the cable box and the scaler of the TV. What type of connection, HDMI or component? Can you switch? Have you tried changing output resolutions on the Rogers box (e.g., 720p or 1080i)?

Don't worry too much if it does turn out to be a TV hardware problem - one thing you get from Panasonic is excellent in-home customer service.
If it happens with both cable box and dvd player then you can rule out cables/external hardware.
"Sometimes I dig the dirty yet sweet oriental pong of this frag, but I wonder if it really makes sense to smell like I've hidden spice bags in all of my pockets?" ~basenotes.net
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
1137 posts
47 upvotes
Richmond Hill
connection is component....my tv is 720p i think, i dont' know how to change the resolutions on the box...

i'm not really worried about not having it fixed....just that if i can i would rather get a brand new tv from future shop before the end of the 30days (but they dont' have one for me to exchange!), then to have panasonic try to come in and fix this problem tv... :cry: not sure if i should just return it or take the risk and get panasonic to fix it after the 30 days (30days is up this saturday and i doubt anyone will be able to come before then)

Aske001 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2008 8:31 pm

[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
1137 posts
47 upvotes
Richmond Hill
yes, it happens to both cable box and dvd...as a matter of fact, i unplugged everything near and around the tv and just left the tv on without any signals going in...and the lines are still there....

Diamondog wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2008 10:41 pm
If it happens with both cable box and dvd player then you can rule out cables/external hardware.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3287 posts
140 upvotes
Don't guess when disaster could be close at hand. Those lines look like some sort of failure in the panel sandwich, might disappear when it gets warm.. connections get tighter etc.... but the question would be... is this a stable situation or more likely to degrade even further. With this amount of $ on the line... take a day off work and get this attended to.

Boxing day might be one of those days when all rules get suspended, including the integrity of the store... don't take it lying down. With the deals available today, you should be able to come close to that price/panel size with full warranty etc and no risk.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
Call the Panasonic Concierge service and ask them. Their first-line customer service reps are no better than anyone else's, but they might be able to recognize a known problem.

Also try posting your pics on the avsforum.com plasma TV section - that's where you'd get the most advice. Someone might recognize this symptom as being related to a specific type of failure. It doesn't correspond to anything I've seen reported before as a panel problem (i.e., the panel sections aren't the size of the stripes you're showing), but it could be a problem with an electronics board.

Usually the Panasonic TVs detect board problems and report them with a blink code using the power LED, so I would try turning the set off and on again while it's showing that problem to see if it triggers a diagnostic code.

It's unlikely to be due to local interference if you're sure that you've unplugged all the cables connected to the TV, but I would still try moving the power plug to a different outlet, just in case it's due to interference coming in on the AC line.
× < >