Computers & Electronics

HELP!Vista and Realtek HD audio cannot provide surround sound!!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2008 2:50 am
Tags:
None
Aug 18, 2007
551 posts
2 upvotes
Markham,Ontario

HELP!Vista and Realtek HD audio cannot provide surround sound!!

Hi all, i have just upgraded to vista and ran into a issue on sound. My current sound setup is 5.1 speaker. When i play any sound on vista, it will only provide stereo, eg. WMP, games, realplayer...etc. My onboard sound is realtek HD audio AC888. I installed the most updated driver and had change the setup in realtek sound properties to 5.1 but still had no luck. It just wont give me 5.1 sound. This does not happen when i am using XP.

so did anyone get into this problem? having 5.1 speaker but cant use 5.1 sound just sucks
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5831 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
IT's 2 channel, stereo, because the stuff you're playing IS stereo.

For example, if your'e using a creative sound card, and creative has the CMSS upmix feature, it upmixes the stereo, into 5.1, and outputs 5.1

For you, you cant get 5.1 unless something upmixes it to 5.1
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
551 posts
2 upvotes
Markham,Ontario
hi kay188, thx for your reply. But when i was using XP to play the same sounds and stuff, it will always have 5.1 with all the same hardware, it just turned into stereo 2.0 after i upgraded to vista.
Dec 27, 2007
52 posts
B-SU wrote:
Feb 20th, 2008 3:22 am
Hi all, i have just upgraded to vista and ran into a issue on sound. My current sound setup is 5.1 speaker. When i play any sound on vista, it will only provide stereo, eg. WMP, games, realplayer...etc. My onboard sound is realtek HD audio AC888. I installed the most updated driver and had change the setup in realtek sound properties to 5.1 but still had no luck. It just wont give me 5.1 sound. This does not happen when i am using XP.

so did anyone get into this problem? having 5.1 speaker but cant use 5.1 sound just sucks
This really sounds like a driver issue. A few things you could try.

1. Uninstall the audio drivers under Control Panel/Programs and Features. Reboot and let Vista automatically install drivers (instead of using CD or downloaded drivers).

or

2. Make sure you do have the right drivers for Vista from Realtek
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false

or

3. Download drivers from your motherboard manufacturer (which in turn could lead you to #2)

You can get sound through all your speakers using the speaker fill checkbox in the Realtek HD Audio Manager, but it's not real 5.1 I suppose.
Star Wars Limited Edition PSP with CFW iPod iR Shell :cool:
Xfire: cgyace
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
551 posts
2 upvotes
Markham,Ontario
yeah i tried all of those methods...but still no luck...sadness!!! is it is bug with realtek and vista, coz after searching google, alot of people had this problem i guess, just thought if anyone would by pass some sneaky method to make it work, oh well....vista is still no good i guess....

if anyone had realtek HD audio with 5.1 speaker setup and using vista got the surround sound worked, pls help me :razz: :razz:
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1592 posts
13 upvotes
I had my desktop switched to Vista last week, and had the same problem as yours, then googled and found out it's a known issue for several different brands of soundcards. I guess we can only either wait for them to release drivers that fix these issues, or wait for Microsoft to do something about it.

At the mean time, people suggest enable some options in your Realtek HD Audio Manager, which would make all your 5 speakers to have sound, but they still sound little weird.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2135 posts
159 upvotes
I had the same exact problem as you. Spent a good 5 months looking for the solution.

Google in "Realtek HD Manager", and download the latest version. The trick is, to install it twice. Once you install it twice, open it from control panel, and enable "sound effects", click "speaker fill", and that's all :razz:

To celebrate, that day I went out and bought Z5500's lol
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1592 posts
13 upvotes
hi-tech wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2008 12:22 pm
I had the same exact problem as you. Spent a good 5 months looking for the solution.

Google in "Realtek HD Manager", and download the latest version. The trick is, to install it twice. Once you install it twice, open it from control panel, and enable "sound effects", click "speaker fill", and that's all :razz:

To celebrate, that day I went out and bought Z5500's lol
Yeah that's the temporary fix, check "Speaker Fill" and "Enable Bass Management", but it doesn't actually fix the problem.
When you play like a mp3 you will notice that the mid, 2 rear speakers don't have voice but only music.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2135 posts
159 upvotes
rogeryen wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2008 5:13 pm
Yeah that's the temporary fix, check "Speaker Fill" and "Enable Bass Management", but it doesn't actually fix the problem.
When you play like a mp3 you will notice that the mid, 2 rear speakers don't have voice but only music.
It's a problem with Vista. Perhaps they fixed it in SP1, haven't tried it yet so dont know.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1592 posts
13 upvotes
hi-tech wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2008 6:36 pm
It's a problem with Vista. Perhaps they fixed it in SP1, haven't tried it yet so dont know.
all over internet people have been saying that this is either vista's problem or sound card driver's problem....but from what i've seen, the majority blames the drivers. And I also read somewhere that, it is not fixed in SP1.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2007
551 posts
2 upvotes
Markham,Ontario
Thank you all for the replies! you guys are really helpful~!
× < >