Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
4792 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto

Help wanted: tech firms scramble for talent

Help wanted: tech firms scramble for talent
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/tec ... le2395687/
Down the street from Research In Motion Ltd., (RIM-T12.970.352.77%) where a new CEO is firing senior managers at a firm whose growth has stalled, hundreds of smaller technology firms are having the exact opposite problem: Growing too fast, they can’t find enough people to hire.

In the Kitchener-Waterloo area, deep within the technology ecosystem that blossomed as RIM grew into a global giant, companies are struggling to fill roles even as their growth helps anchor the region's reputation as an expanding high-tech hub. Some are large firms experiencing the dramatic growth that accompanies global expansion; others are small outfits that require extremely specific expertise. What they have in common is that they operate in exploding industries, like mobile applications, that barely existed a few years ago.

As a result, local technology firms and community groups are teaming up to build a regional hub that would benefit every company here by pulling in more people. But companies, individually, are also getting extremely creative with their workplace and hiring practices - building gyms, catering two daily meals, offering unlimited vacation and huge cash incentives - in ways that could hold lessons for others hiring in tight talent markets.
Last year, nearly 300 new companies formed in the region, creating roughly 450 jobs at various startups, according to Communitech, a local group that represents about 800 technology companies in the region. There have also been about 1,000 tech jobs created at medium-to-large tech firms over the last three years, a period that has seen 531 new companies established here. But those companies are now growing, fast, and a "conservative estimate" is that there are roughly 1,300 unfilled tech positions locally, says Communitech's CEO, Iain Klugman. Even RIM, which laid off 11 per cent of its work force, is still hiring.
Definitely seems like a good time to be in the technology sector.
2 replies
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3201 upvotes
Calgary
*sigh*, I personally visited Communitech in the past few months (at the Tannery), listened to the industry presentations, but there definitely weren't firms lining up to hire either me, nor the others in the industry invited. They spent big bucks to have me as a guest as well as I live in Western Canada. Lots of rah, rah, Waterloo is great for innovation, but if workers were so scarce...very little snapping up of the talent.

I know you like to cut and paste random articles from various media sources, but if things were so good in the industry, why did my local telco receive 50 resumes for a mere entry-level, barely advertised IT/Engineering job?

The real story "on the ground" in Waterloo is that practically everyone is cr*pping their pants right now at the prospect of RIM being a significantly smaller company than it currently is (nevermind the slow-motion disaster that seems to be unfolding at Manulife). With nothing of sufficient significance to replace it. Yes, community leaders, including those "Communitech" participants would love to create another RIM.... But there's nothing even remotely in the works to even come close.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Sep 21, 2004
10015 posts
4031 upvotes
Calgary
I hate to agree with Mark77, but he is spot on.

[QUOTE]Last year, nearly 300 new companies formed in the region, creating roughly 450 jobs at various startups, according to Communitech, a local group that represents about 800 technology companies in the region. [/QUOTE] This is not impressive at all.