• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2017 10:43 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 15, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote

HELP! What should I do with my career?

I'm 19 turning 20 soon. I am currently getting my accounting degree about to finish second year. This co-op term, I was doing admin work at an insurance company and realized that insurance is where I want to be for the rest of my life. My uncle is an independent accident claims adjuster who's making insane amounts of money without post secondary education. Most insurance companies require either either a diploma or degree for you to get an interview at an entry level position. This makes no sense to me because University takes twice as long!!! Should I transfer my credits to college and get a quick accounting diploma so I can get a job in insurance and start my professional development? Should I leave all my university credits in tact and just purchase professional development and see if I can get interviews?

I have no idea what I should do, but my brain is going 100mph and it's driving me nuts.
41 replies
Sep 9, 2003
852 posts
74 upvotes
FINISH your DEGREE

do 3 more coop terms and decide. You could also change career paths after working full time for 1 year. Working on 4 month coop terms gives you a limited perspective on the actual work.
feedback: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=657823
ebay feedback : demon_twinz
heatware ID: demon_twinz99
Mar 3, 2011
621 posts
509 upvotes
I agree with Demon, finish what you started and get that degree under your belt. If you want to switch after that then you are still young enough to do so and this way you will have the option to diversify if the time ever comes.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1168 posts
351 upvotes
New York City
In my opinion, the insurance industry has much more money to be made (that not many ppl think about) compared to accounting.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1013 posts
391 upvotes
Edmonton
Unless you and your uncle are similar in age, he got into the industry in a different time. You won't be as likely to succeed as he was without the degree. It's like harking back to the days when you could go up to Fort McMurray as a high school drop out and pull in 6 figures. Ain't gonna happen. Not anymore. Also, your uncle is making bank now because he has many years of experience. Don't expect to get anything near what he gets as a fresh grad.

Strongly agree with Demon_Twinz on co-op. Forget the schoolwork portion of the degree. Co-op is the single most valuable part of your undergrad experience.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote
frozenmelon wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:28 pm
Unless you and your uncle are similar in age, he got into the industry in a different time. You won't be as likely to succeed as he was without the degree. It's like harking back to the days when you could go up to Fort McMurray as a high school drop out and pull in 6 figures. Ain't gonna happen. Not anymore. Also, your uncle is making bank now because he has many years of experience. Don't expect to get anything near what he gets as a fresh grad.

Strongly agree with Demon_Twinz on co-op. Forget the schoolwork portion of the degree. Co-op is the single most valuable part of your undergrad experience.
Yeah my uncle is pulling in 250k+ but he has 20 yrs of experience. He has been making 6 figures for a while now, and it's driving me crazy how he is making a mockery out of university education. That's why I want to get into insurance so bad, literally like right now, so I can start racking up those years of experience.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote
McKinsey wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 1:22 pm
In my opinion, the insurance industry has much more money to be made (that not many ppl think about) compared to accounting.
that's what I'm saying!!! it is literally a hidden gem nobody knows about, which is the reason why I want to drop out or "take a break"
Mar 3, 2011
621 posts
509 upvotes
Oh young grasshopper.. just remember the karate kid motto, wax on, wax off.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote
markopas wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 3:56 pm
Oh young grasshopper.. just remember the karate kid motto, wax on, wax off.
Too young for your version of karate kid...haha jk. But honestly, I am obsessed with making money at an early age. I want a beautiful car and I want to start investing in real estate and saving for retirement.
Mar 3, 2011
621 posts
509 upvotes
johnsmith01 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 4:07 pm
Too young for your version of karate kid...haha jk. But honestly, I am obsessed with making money at an early age. I want a beautiful car and I want to start investing in real estate and saving for retirement.
We're all in the same boat but not everyone gets lucky. You could get into what your uncle does and then hate it with a passion and then kick yourself for not finishing school and pursuing that other path. If you want to make money, no one said it would be easy (unless you win the lottery and in that case it can deplete as quick as it came in to your life).
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1460 posts
448 upvotes
Finish your degree kid. You're 19 years old, you have lots of years of earning potential ahead of you. These days even entry level positions require a degree and if you don't have that you're really putting yourself in a bad position later in life without this qualification. I work in insurance making about 6 figures and my role required a degree to be considered for the position.
Mar 3, 2011
621 posts
509 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 4:26 pm
Finish your degree kid. You're 19 years old, you have lots of years of earning potential ahead of you. These days even entry level positions require a degree and if you don't have that you're really putting yourself in a bad position later in life without this qualification. I work in insurance making about 6 figures and my role required a degree to be considered for the position.
Maybe you can further elaborate on how long it took you to make those six figures and what part of the industry/dept. you are working in.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4804 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
What did your uncle say when you told him your interest?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Nov 13, 2013
758 posts
254 upvotes
OTTAWA
johnsmith01 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:34 pm
Yeah my uncle is pulling in 250k+ but he has 20 yrs of experience. He has been making 6 figures for a while now, and it's driving me crazy how he is making a mockery out of university education. That's why I want to get into insurance so bad, literally like right now, so I can start racking up those years of experience.
Yeah insurance has decent commissions but so do a lot of sales jobs. Granted most of them require more inititiave than selling insurance.
If you are $ oriented only it might be a good idea. Of course you might change your mind after five mind numbing years selling insurance. You also might not be able to replicate your uncles income if you don't have the same connections or simply aren't as good.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14175 posts
2533 upvotes
Toronto
johnsmith01 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:34 pm
The avg salary is 40-60K for a claims adjuster. Your uncle is definitely in the minority so don't expect to get into that field and make 250K+ even after 20 years.