• Apr 24th, 2017 10:43 am
Tags:
Nov 13, 2013
760 posts
255 upvotes
OTTAWA
johnsmith01 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:05 am
loved it in high school. did limited research about it, was looking at figures and they didnt seem too bad. When I got to university I learned more about the CPA process and what it takes to get to 6 figures (very long...even with credentials). Accounting is rigorous. I learned something this year, there is a work to earning ratio. The end goal should be to do the least amount of work possible and get the highest pay possible and accounting is the exact opposite of that. The way independent accident benefit adjusters work is that they bill their hours to clients. That is where I want to be.
Best line ever" goal should be to do the least amount of work possible and get the highest pay possible "
Maybe don't say that in any interviews.
Not to be too judgmental but very curious where you will be in 5-10 years with that attitude. Check back in on this thread if you remember.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote
fogetmylogin wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:37 pm
Best line ever" goal should be to do the least amount of work possible and get the highest pay possible "
Maybe don't say that in any interviews.
Not to be too judgmental but very curious where you will be in 5-10 years with that attitude. Check back in on this thread if you remember.
don't get me wrong, I am a very hard worker. I am all about climbing that corporate ladder.

I'll update you in 5.
Jan 15, 2017
48 posts
48 upvotes
This discussion reminds me of the study that found that the vast majority of drivers believe they are above average drivers. We all like to think we are smarter, harder working, and wiser than our peers, and so we end up overconfident and prone to taking chances that we may later regret.

Your uncle is an outlier. The fact that you personally know him, can talk to him, can relate to him, makes you feel like his result are more achievable and reachable than it might otherwise be. At that income, he's roughly in the top 1% of income earners - an impressive achievement. If your uncle was Bill Gates or Zuckerberg, you might also be influenced to drop out of school to work on your tech start up - afterall, if they did it, why can't I? Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't.

The fact is, most of the time, getting a degree will benefit you. Plenty of people take a gamble and do end up better off without a degree. You tend to hear about the ones that succeed. The ones that gambled and lost end up as statistics.

Success requires hardwork, but hardwork doesn't guarantee success. Put in another way, you are attempting a hail mary pass. It'll sometimes pay off, sometimes not. You are the only one who can decide if the gamble is worth your career.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3604 posts
1432 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I think your mind is made up. Personally I would finish what you started (education). Insurance might not work out for you and it is better to have an education no matter what. Don't assume you will earn even close to what your uncle does. If that were the case everyone would be lining up to work in insurance.
Jun 2, 2007
364 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
I work for a large insurer in a well paid underwriting role. In my line of the business and many others you need a degree to get hired. Finish your education.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote
quick90 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 10:03 pm
I work for a large insurer in a well paid underwriting role. In my line of the business and many others you need a degree to get hired. Finish your education.
can't argue with that. starting school may 1 right after co-op. Realized i am already 2 years in...might as well finish it
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3604 posts
1432 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
johnsmith01 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 2:38 pm
can't argue with that. starting school may 1 right after co-op. Realized i am already 2 years in...might as well finish it
You will never regret finishing school. It will help you no matter what. If nothing else it lets future employers know that you can see something through to the finish.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20849 posts
2020 upvotes
There's tons of people with degrees that can't find jobs right now..

Imagine how hard it is for someone with only high school.....
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1379 posts
107 upvotes
You're 19 now, so about 1-2 years ago while in High School you were interested enough in Accounting to pursue it in University. Now you're interested in Insurance. If you make the switch, be sure you are not going to change your mind again in another 2-3 years.

While salary considerations are an important part of any career choice, you should also make sure you not switching solely for the money; and that you have genuine interest in the Insurance field and the type of work it involves.

I'd recommend you at least finish your degree first, because once you earn/have that degree to your name, it can never be taken away from you. It's hard to go back to school (to complete it) after you've been working for awhile.
Aug 16, 2008
759 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
i've heard the ones who make the big bucks as claim adjusters are unethical in their dealings. In fact, they choose to stay as adjusters instead of going up the corporate ladder for that reason alone. Their work salary is not indicative of their take-home earnings.

For example, a shop negotiates with the adjuster to have more (expensive) repairs (that are not needed) done to a wrecked car, the adjuster receives a cut from the shop under the table, no one is the wiser.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote
unowned wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 12:27 pm
i've heard the ones who make the big bucks as claim adjusters are unethical in their dealings. In fact, they choose to stay as adjusters instead of going up the corporate ladder for that reason alone. Their work salary is not indicative of their take-home earnings.

For example, a shop negotiates with the adjuster to have more (expensive) repairs (that are not needed) done to a wrecked car, the adjuster receives a cut from the shop under the table, no one is the wiser.
Makes sense...there are a lot of unethical people in this world.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote
kitty wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 3:30 am
You're 19 now, so about 1-2 years ago while in High School you were interested enough in Accounting to pursue it in University. Now you're interested in Insurance. If you make the switch, be sure you are not going to change your mind again in another 2-3 years.

While salary considerations are an important part of any career choice, you should also make sure you not switching solely for the money; and that you have genuine interest in the Insurance field and the type of work it involves.

I'd recommend you at least finish your degree first, because once you earn/have that degree to your name, it can never be taken away from you. It's hard to go back to school (to complete it) after you've been working for awhile.
Very true. I am going to finish.