• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 11:20 am
[OP]
Apr 28, 2015
82 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Help! Where to exchange CAD in Toronto for ISK, Euro, GBP

Hi. I'm flying to Europe next week thanks to a few flight deals. Looking to exchange some CAD to ISK, Euro, GBP.

I'd prefer the location to be somewhere downtown Toronto.

Any help would be appreciated!
22 replies
May 23, 2008
911 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I've got 600 EUR on me; failing that, I've heard good things about Kantor, though they're not in the downtown area.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17979 posts
2655 upvotes
GTA West
Inakaru wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 1:23 pm
Hi. I'm flying to Europe next week thanks to a few flight deals. Looking to exchange some CAD to ISK, Euro, GBP.

I'd prefer the location to be somewhere downtown Toronto.

Any help would be appreciated!
Try the BST forum. Someone probably has excess cash that you can exchange for the exact rate with no margin.

ISK might be a tough one though. You might even have to order it, which means you should get to a currency exchange sooner rather than later.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10677 posts
1014 upvotes
Mississauga
You don't really need ISK. People in Iceland use credit cards for everything, even for buying a pack of gum.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17979 posts
2655 upvotes
GTA West
Talamasca wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 11:00 pm
You don't really need ISK. People in Iceland use credit cards for everything, even for buying a pack of gum.
While I'm not disputing the accuracy of this information, I think the OP should still get a bit of cash.
What happens if he arrives at the airport and there's a big network failure, so he can't pay a cab to get to his destination?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15768 posts
3159 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 11:58 pm
While I'm not disputing the accuracy of this information, I think the OP should still get a bit of cash.
What happens if he arrives at the airport and there's a big network failure, so he can't pay a cab to get to his destination?
Every time this has happened to me - rarely - they just took an old school swipe of the credit card. No guarantee they would have the swipe papers on hand but they could also phone in the numbers to their dispatch.

Alternatively maybe s/he could pay in US dollars or Euros. Or even CAD$. I recall a while ago some locals wanting to switch to the CAD dollar for Iceland’s currency.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/business.fi ... loonie/amp

Plus, I don’t think most Canadian forex would have ISK on hand anyway. So in a pinch s/he could get a small amount at the airport after arrival.

But yeah, it may be prudent to get a little ISK just in case.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4029 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
didn't get ISK until i got to Iceland last time. And after the trip i didn't spend any of it. everything was through credit card.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1251 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
More and more in Europe I was seeing places only accepting credit cards and no cash at all.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7221 posts
1464 upvotes
Mississauga
Money Exchange World has ISK readily available. Also you can withdraw from the machine at KEF airport and in Reykjavik.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17979 posts
2655 upvotes
GTA West
Raggie wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 10:02 am
Money Exchange World has ISK readily available. Also you can withdraw from the machine at KEF airport and in Reykjavik.
Is this machine before or after customs?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10677 posts
1014 upvotes
Mississauga
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 11:43 am
Is this machine before or after customs?
From looking at their airport map, both.
cardle wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 9:55 am
More and more in Europe I was seeing places only accepting credit cards and no cash at all.
It's slowly starting to emerge here too. There's an ice cream shop at Square One in Mississauga that only accepts electronic payment.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17979 posts
2655 upvotes
GTA West
Talamasca wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 2:08 pm
It's slowly starting to emerge here too. There's an ice cream shop at Square One in Mississauga that only accepts electronic payment.
I can understand the sentiment of this post. And it's logical.
But I will almost always get some cash. This is because I've been through travel when things did not go right, I was alone, could have been in a lot of trouble, etc. So I think of backup plans for everything. And cash is always the ultimate contingency.

At least the OP is visiting a civilized place like Iceland. If you travel in a less developed place, and get into trouble, it changes how you think. Permanently.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3256 posts
2785 upvotes
Vancouver
cardle wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 9:55 am
It varies widely within Europe. Cash is becoming quite marginalized in Sweden, but is still king in Germany.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
[OP]
Apr 28, 2015
82 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thanks all. Yeah I'm bringing my credit card w/ me and will use that vs. cash every opportunity I can. Just need cash as a contingency (and don't plan on exchanging much).