Automotive

Help! Windshield frozen from inside.....

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2008 12:20 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 23, 2007
901 posts
6 upvotes

Help! Windshield frozen from inside.....

Hello guys, I got a question.
My girlfriend's car always freezes from inside, there's always a thick layer of ice (or ice-fog) on the driver side of the windshield, it takes for ever for the hot air to melt it and she has to scrape it off every morning, it's a pain in the neck because now the windshield is curved to the opposite direction.
Where can the problem be and how can we solve it??
13 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10456 posts
1048 upvotes
Make sure the defrost is turned on, with the heat all the way up. If there is a seperate button to turn on the AC, make sure that is on.

There is excess moisture in the car, causing the frost.

You can try parking in a heated parkade for the day or overnight to see if the moisture dries off. Leave the windows open a crack.

Another possibility is your heater core has a leak and is leaking coolant into the passenger compartment, causing the excess moisture. Do you smell a sweet smell, or notice any fogging in the passenger compartment when driving? If so, you need to get it replaced. Not fun and $$$, especially if you do have AC.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2002
1859 posts
4 upvotes
leon200608 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 1:29 pm
My girlfriend's car always freezes from inside, there's always a thick layer of ice (or ice-fog) on the driver side of the windshield, it takes for ever for the hot air to melt it and she has to scrape it off every morning, it's a pain in the neck because now the windshield is curved to the opposite direction.
Blaine has some good suggestions, I'd also make sure the heater is set to take air from the outside.
Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases -Thomas Jefferson
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Does it frost up before she enters the car after she drove a couple minutes?

If it is the first symptom the car probably has a leak (either from the rad or from the underbody) wetting the carpet and making the interior saturated with moist air. You have to find a leak and fix at the source. Leaving the windows half open overnight would also help to make the symptom less serious.

If it is the 2nd symptom this would be more a problem if the outside is really cold. It is caused by the moisture from her breath condensed on the windows. Turn the ventilating fan to high and open the rear windows a bit so the fresh air from the front can carry the moisture from her breath to the rear and vent outside.

Either case it is very important to set the ventilation to "fresh air". Don't use "re-circulating".
[OP]
Sep 23, 2007
901 posts
6 upvotes
DragonZealot wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 1:57 pm
Does it frost up before she enters the car after she drove a couple minutes?

If it is the first symptom the car probably has a leak (either from the rad or from the underbody) wetting the carpet and making the interior saturated with moist air. You have to find a leak and fix at the source. Leaving the windows half open overnight would also help to make the symptom less serious.

Either case it is very important to set the ventilation to "fresh air". Don't use "re-circulating".
Thanks for the post.

It's the first case, the inside frozen up over night before she enters the car. Once she start using on the hot air blow the shield the ice slowly melts, but still takes time. None of her neighbors' car has this type of problem.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
leon200608 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 2:15 pm
Thanks for the post.

It's the first case, the inside frozen up over night before she enters the car. Once she start using on the hot air blow the shield the ice slowly melts, but still takes time. None of her neighbors' car has this type of problem.
Just curious, does her car have one of those liquid air fresher?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2007
901 posts
6 upvotes
gman wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 3:00 pm
Just curious, does her car have one of those liquid air fresher?
Not at all. But the seats are made of cloth, I guess they might have stored some moisture. The car is pretty old as well, leaks all over the place.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
29 upvotes
Tdot
ive noticed this on my 01 accord too....im thinking i have a leak/bad install off the aftermarket front windshield! the seals around the front window/shield causes the frost buildup? i hvnt tried that 'window down' wont ur car b MAD cold and someone will try to break into ur car!!! :confused:
Dec 11, 2007
458 posts
48 upvotes
Calgary
I installed interior car warmer (900W) for my wife's van this winter. She absolutely loves it as it dries the car interior from mats and carpet, take the chill in the air after sitting cold for awhile, and when it snows, most of snow/ice has already melted off so no scraping. I felt bad that I didn't do this for her sooner. It gets plugged in with the block heater cord.

After car wash, our cars always fog up pretty quick due to moisture in the air while at the car wash. I run AC while driving home and it helps to dry up the interior.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
leon200608 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 2:15 pm

I heard you can apply some glass treatment (Rain-X?) on the inside glasses and make the glass less foggy. May be that would help. Not much else you can do if its a real old car and leaks all over the places. You have to fix the leaks.
Jun 10, 2005
369 posts
34 upvotes
I have a similar problem. My car is a 2003 Impala, so it isn't leaking or anything. Just seems that some days I get to the GO Station and there is frost all over the windshield on the inside.

- Don't have a liquid air freshener
- I use external air when defogging
- I rarely use the A/C setting. Usually just use the defogger and crank up the heat.

Although sometimes I do have the heat on all the way until I get to the station. I quickly turn off the car and head to the train. Should I turn off the heat a minute or two before parking? Possibly open the rear windows for a little bit before I finally park?
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
Gophermofur wrote:
Feb 19th, 2008 11:44 am
I have a similar problem. My car is a 2003 Impala, so it isn't leaking or anything. Just seems that some days I get to the GO Station and there is frost all over the windshield on the inside.

- Don't have a liquid air freshener
- I use external air when defogging
- I rarely use the A/C setting. Usually just use the defogger and crank up the heat.

Although sometimes I do have the heat on all the way until I get to the station. I quickly turn off the car and head to the train. Should I turn off the heat a minute or two before parking? Possibly open the rear windows for a little bit before I finally park?
How about using external air even though you just use the heater? My van does not even allow me to use circular air for heat only (i.e. to the floor). It will switch that to external air for me automatically when I turn to heat only (and I can't switch it back). It allows circular air only if it is vent only or vent + heat (to the floor).

I don't have the described problem.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Dec 5, 2007
543 posts
1 upvote
NB
leon200608 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 1:29 pm
Unfortunately it's because there is moisture stored in the car (likely in the carpet and floor mats). If you have access to a heated garage to dry the car out that would be the best, otherwise you may need to use a portable heater of some kind to dry the vehicle out. Alot of vehicles will get small amounts of ice on the inside of the windshield but if you have alot of stored moisture, you can get the thicker buildup you are talking about.
× < >