Shopping Discussion

Henry's extended warranty, can I get a refund if camera dies before first year ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2010 12:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

Henry's extended warranty, can I get a refund if camera dies before first year ?

About 6 months ago I bought a Fuji camera from Henry's. I bought the extended service plan/warranty. A few weeks ago it stopped working. I took it back to Henry's and the lady examining it noted what looks like a dent on casing of the camera. I have no idea where it came from. Anyways, she sent it in, and today I was told it would not be covered under warranty (they claim "impact damage", though I have no idea how they could know that) and that it would cost $300 to have it repaired.

Since the camera sells new for little more than that, obviously I am not going to repair it. I understand that the extended service plan basically is a warranty which takes effect only after the initial manufacturer's warranty runs out. So my question is, should I be able to cancel the extended service plan and ask for a refund, given that I have not yet entered the period covered by this plan ?

I would ask at Henry's but I knew there is a good chance I would a blow a gasket in the store or on the phone, and thought I would educate myself a little about my options before going into battle.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
20 replies
Banned
Oct 3, 2006
1710 posts
1 upvote
NuggyBuggy wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2007 11:24 am
About 6 months ago I bought a Fuji camera from Henry's. I bought the extended service plan/warranty. A few weeks ago it stopped working. I took it back to Henry's and the lady examining it noted what looks like a dent on casing of the camera. I have no idea where it came from. Anyways, she sent it in, and today I was told it would not be covered under warranty (they claim "impact damage", though I have no idea how they could know that) and that it would cost $300 to have it repaired.

Since the camera sells new for little more than that, obviously I am not going to repair it. I understand that the extended service plan basically is a warranty which takes effect only after the initial manufacturer's warranty runs out. So my question is, should I be able to cancel the extended service plan and ask for a refund, given that I have not yet entered the period covered by this plan ?

I would ask at Henry's but I knew there is a good chance I would a blow a gasket in the store or on the phone, and thought I would educate myself a little about my options before going into battle.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

As a rule no you will not get your money back.Now it depends what is wrong with the camera.If it is a dent like the lady says then no warrentys do not cover that.It all depends how good a cutomer you are they may give you a in store credit to use to get a new camera.It would not be a full credit but 50% of what you paid.Or they may just replace the camera.There is very little chance they will give you your cash back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
hightechfan wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2007 11:56 am
As a rule no you will not get your money back.Now it depends what is wrong with the camera.If it is a dent like the lady says then no warrentys do not cover that.It all depends how good a cutomer you are they may give you a in store credit to use to get a new camera.It would not be a full credit but 50% of what you paid.Or they may just replace the camera.There is very little chance they will give you your cash back.
Sorry if my original post was unclear or if I misunderstood your post. I'm really just wondering whether I am entitled to a refund on the extended warranty (not the camera itself), since I never even got into the time period covered by it. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
OK, so a few weeks ago when I went in to ask for a refund of the money I paid for the extended warranty. I argued that I should get my money back since I had not ever been covered by the warranty, as it only provides coverage when the manufacturer's warranty expires, which had not yet happened.

The woman I spoke to said Henry's policy is to NEVER refund extended warranties. I got angry very quickly, and she supposedly went to talk to her manager "Beth", who I never saw. "Beth" supposedly offered to give me a credit to be used towards another extended warranty, IF I BOUGHT ANOTHER CAMERA FROM THEM WITHIN ONE WEEK. This was not acceptable to me because I had no intention of buying another camera at the time. They would not offer me a store credit. I got even angrier and stormed out of the store.

Then I decided to see what other camera dealers would do in the situation. I went to Vistek. I got into a conversation with two sales reps and told them the story.

One of them was positive the warranty company would not refund me my money. But the second was not so sure and offered to call the company in front of me. He was told that up until the day before the extended warranty coverage period takes effect, the warranty company would offer me a full refund on the extended warranty.

This is exactly how things should be. If you were never covered by an insurance policy, you should be able to get your money back if you can no longer use that coverage.

I walked away from Vistek, feeling vindicated and determined that I would thereafter spend my money at stores like Vistek that treat their customers decently. I also vowed to never, ever spend a dime at Henry's.

Funnily enough, two or three weeks later I became interested - totally out of the blue - in getting a DSLR, which I had never even considered before. Where previously I had been a loyal Henry's customer, having bought Minoxes and Rolleis from the back in the 1980s, I now ended up spending about $2K - at Vistek.

In summary: Henry's sucks.
Nov 8, 2004
656 posts
1 upvote
Nobody refunds an extended warranty 6 mos after purchase of product. Not saying this is fair, it is just how it is.

People have bought extended warranties on their cars, often paying a few thousand for the warranty. Then the car gets stolen. You win some, you lose some.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2004
1063 posts
12 upvotes
dlander wrote:
Mar 28th, 2007 8:35 pm
Nobody refunds an extended warranty 6 mos after purchase of product. Not saying this is fair, it is just how it is.

People have bought extended warranties on their cars, often paying a few thousand for the warranty. Then the car gets stolen. You win some, you lose some.
Staples does. :razz:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
dlander wrote:
Mar 28th, 2007 8:35 pm
Nobody refunds an extended warranty 6 mos after purchase of product.
You're wrong: Vistek does. I also believe FutureShop does, but I could be wrong about that.
Jan 15, 2007
637 posts
moo
NuggyBuggy wrote:
Mar 29th, 2007 8:42 am
You're wrong: Vistek does. I also believe FutureShop does, but I could be wrong about that.
FS and BB treat the extended warranties as accessory sales. So this means the customer has up to 30 days from day of purchase of the warranty (or even 60 days of purchase of the item, 30 day + 30 day) to refund the warranty.
Dec 30, 2005
23 posts
6 upvotes
I think Fuji does that a lot... had the pop up flash stop working on two Fuji cameras a few years ago (same model, but two different cameras), and both times the factory claimed impact damage, and charged $3-400 to fix it. I don't recall either camera being dropped! If it had been dropped, I'm sure the lens would have been damaged (its a super zoom).

Unfortunately, we paid, because this was a $700 camera and wasn't available in the market anymore.

At least both cameras still work great today :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
ootb98 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2007 9:32 am
I think Fuji does that a lot... had the pop up flash stop working on two Fuji cameras a few years ago (same model, but two different cameras), and both times the factory claimed impact damage, and charged $3-400 to fix it. I don't recall either camera being dropped! If it had been dropped, I'm sure the lens would have been damaged (its a super zoom).
When they told me it was impact damage, all I could think of was that I was sort of stuck in having to take their word for it. A $300 camera might not be worth paying for an estimate at an unbiased shop, so I am unlikely to get a second opinion, and an unscrupulous place might take advantage of that.
Nov 15, 2006
194 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
Hmmm i do get away with this at other stores not sure how henry's works.... Buy another camera exactly same as you currently have wait a few days to a week... return it as not satisfied with... who know might work... check out return policy
Nov 15, 2006
194 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
another thing if another store carries the same camera model and is easier to reuturn to.. buy camera there and wait a few days and return there... Another tip is pay with cash and give a false name and addy if needed when refunding ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1508 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Usually the serial number is recorded on the receipt when a camera is sold. It needs to be if the receipt is going to be useful for warranty purposes. Although in this case I did not check specifically, I would be this would be the case here.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42093 posts
2869 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This is why you buy the warranty FROM THE MANUFACTURER, which lets you buy the warranty anytime during the 1 year warranty with them, which means you could buy the extended warranty from the manufacturer on the 364th day. Not sure about cameras, but from my research on TVs, almost all companies allow you to do this, and the price is not much different than, say if you buy it from Futureshop, however, you get the benefit of dealing with the manufacturer and not with the lowest bidding insurance company that Futureshop hires, who sends the broken units into the manufacturer anyways.
***Brand New Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB ONLY $220!!***
Silver Coins | Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2766 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Jon Lai wrote:
Mar 30th, 2007 4:07 pm
This is why you buy the warranty FROM THE MANUFACTURER, which lets you buy the warranty anytime during the 1 year warranty with them, which means you could buy the extended warranty from the manufacturer on the 364th day. Not sure about cameras, but from my research on TVs, almost all companies allow you to do this, and the price is not much different than, say if you buy it from Futureshop, however, you get the benefit of dealing with the manufacturer and not with the lowest bidding insurance company that Futureshop hires, who sends the broken units into the manufacturer anyways.
Good to know. Thanks :)
I never buy extended warranties. I know it is a bit of a gamble. But I never find it worth while. It seems to be a money maker for them and a PITA for us.
I do however use my CC to provide addition extended warranty. As well, I try to keep good care of my electronics, but even the best prudence doesn't ALWAYS work. Digital Camera are very sensitive equipment, plus there is always the chance to get them bumped, dropped, contaminated by dust, sand, water, etc... Unfortunately, when you buy a camera, you are also buying that risk.

However, in the OP's case. Man, what a bunch of bad luck. Sad story to hear :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)