Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2202 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto

Henrys HELP Extended Warranty

So I purchased a 5Dmk1 off CL last week and got a pretty sweet deal on it. The originial owner didn't realize he had purchased an extended warranty through Henrys and ended up just giving me the receipt to have the ownership information changed.

I would never buy extended warranty from any of the major retailers because in my opinion they don't really add value.

Anyways I was taking a quick look at the Terms and Conditions of the extended warranty. My question is what exactly does this warranty cover if there are all of these exclusions?

Maybe I'm missing something but is there any value added by this?

Terms and Conditions
Henry's agrees with the owner of the new product stated on the purchaser's invoice to extend the Manufacturer's Warranty on the same terms and conditions, for a period of two (2) or three (3) years, subject to a maximum term of ten (10) years, upon the conditions listed below.

Henry's agrees with the owner of the used product stated on the purchaser's invoice to extend the Henry's Used Warranty for one (1) year, subject to a maximum of one and a half (1.5) years for used product, upon the conditions listed below.

1) This Plan takes effect upon the expiry of the Manufacturer's Warranty or the Henry's Used Warranty.

2) This Plan is transferable free of charge to a new Owner for the balance of time left on the Henry's Extended Life Plan.

3) This plan is valid within Canada and the Continental U.S. Along with the wording of the Manufacturer's Warranty, the following conditions will apply:

A) This plan does not cover repairs due to improper or abusive use of the product, liquid damage, bent pins, damage as a result of droppage, exposure to weather conditions, sand or foreign objects found inside the product.

B) Accessories, bulbs, cables, batteries, cords, tapes, film, cartridges, ribbons, diskettes, media cards or any add-on devices or recordable media products are excluded, except those covered under the Manufacturer's Warranty.

C) Replacement of batteries, bulbs, film, filters, fuses, cartridges, ribbons, recordable media products or any other products with a pre-determined life expectancy are excluded.

D) Repairs due to deterioration of product appearance are excluded.

E) External adjustments and damage resulting from failure to perform manufacturer's recommended maintenance are excluded.

F) The Plan covers parts and labour only. It does not include phone support.

G) The Plan owner understands that Henry's is not responsible for any indirect, consequential damage (including damage for lost profit, business interruption, loss of data and the like) related to the repair of the product.

H) The Plan Owner releases Henry's from all liabilities due to damage to the product, replacement of the product or injury to any person that is not due to the fault or negligence of Henry's.

I) In the event that replacement parts become unavailable during the term of this contract or if costs of repairing the product is, in Henry's opinion, disproportionate with it's value, Henry's reserves the right to exchange the product with a comparable model (of like, kind and quality).

J) Replacement of the covered product will, during the duration of the plan, fulfill this agreement in it's entirety and will discharge all further obligations under this plan.

K) If, during the warranty period, your product requires repair more than twice for the same problem, it will be exchanged for an equivalent model.

L) The maximum liability of this Plan shall not exceed the original purchase price of the product.

M) The Plan is void if product is repaired by an unauthorized service centre. If, after examining the product, the necessary repairs are not covered by the terms and conditions of the Plan, or if no defects are found, the owner will be responsible for all costs incurred.

N) Shipping, Duty or Brokerage costs are not covered by this plan.

O) Customer information is used to process your warranty registration and for after sales support purposes.

Please visit www.henrys.com for our privacy statement.

This agreement sets forth the entire contract between parties and no representation, promise or condition not contained herein shall modify these terms.

On a side note I sent it in to get the mirror fix done (free on Canon's dime since its a manufacturers defect). Once again they tell me 4-6 weeks... Being a true RFDr I calculated it... Assuming that they will take the full 6 weeks which has happened quite often this is how it breaks down.

Warranty = $579 + tax (15% back then) = $665.85
If it's gone for 6 weeks that is approx 3% of the life of the extended warranty
which is approx $20. Considering they don't give you a loaner I would be more inclined to just become a CPS member if you have a lot of gear.

Ugh...
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7642 posts
798 upvotes
o_0

that is an awful long list of rules for "extended warranty"

Edit: Sweet jeebus I read over that pretty quickly... so basically they don't cover anything short of your camera magically ceasing to function while sitting on a table in your home at room temperature...
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Jun 30, 2009
704 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
demi2004 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 6:22 pm
It will cover the electronics and mechanical parts. That's pretty much it.

On the side note, doesn't Visa also gives 1 year on warranty too?
Some Visa cards will extend a manufacturers warranty for an extra year. I have the CIBC Dividend card and it does it.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2723 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Thats just boiler plate.
Heres the rundown from what my buddies have told me about their warranty.
1) Everything the manufacturer will cover, this will cover.
2) Repair twice, 3rd time = new camera.
3) Will never get a better camera as replacement, either the same or equivalent.
4) Apparently you get international coverage.

Winkle, that does happen by the way. I had my Canon camera just randomly die on me. It worked but the main circuit board was f-ed. Would not take any class 4 or higher cards.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7642 posts
798 upvotes
legendofxix wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 8:04 pm
Thats just boiler plate.
Heres the rundown from what my buddies have told me about their warranty.
1) Everything the manufacturer will cover, this will cover.
2) Repair twice, 3rd time = new camera.
3) Will never get a better camera as replacement, either the same or equivalent.
4) Apparently you get international coverage.

Winkle, that does happen by the way. I had my Canon camera just randomly die on me. It worked but the main circuit board was f-ed. Would not take any class 4 or higher cards.

Haha I don't doubt it! I was just surprised by how long the warranty policy was!

But props to them actually writing it all out, unlike certain big box retailers who don't.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
The only reason why it takes that long to fix a simple mirror, I think is because of Olympics.
Right now CPS and NPS are working hard to make sure the real pros have it on time, otherwise their job is at stake.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2202 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
Lulz wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2010 2:57 am
The only reason why it takes that long to fix a simple mirror, I think is because of Olympics.
Right now CPS and NPS are working hard to make sure the real pros have it on time, otherwise their job is at stake.
Not really...

I know a lot of people who have had long wait times regardless of special events going on.

It took them almost 8 weeks to fix my 20D and they didn't even do everything they were supposed to...
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2723 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Lulz wrote:
Wouldn't be professional if they didn't have at least 1 backup body.
Also, NPS and CPS members get free loaners while their camera is serviced.
I think the reason it takes so long is that EVERYONE wants their camera fixed or tuned up.
Also, theres just a ton of volume for repairs.
Oct 29, 2005
963 posts
38 upvotes
Lulz wrote:
At Canon Mississauga, they always take their sweet ass time to do repairs. I'm a CPS member and the turn around is still 5 days - they provide an equivalent loaner during this period. Luckily for me, I take my gear elsewhere and service is usually within the day.

Canon Mississauga sucks.

My experience with HELP warranty has always been positive.
× < >