Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1373 upvotes
Kanata

[Henrys] Henry's: Nikon 1 V1 with 10mm and 10-30mm lens - $399.99 in-store only

At half-off MSRP, this is a pretty hot deal (LINK). Even on amazon.com, this is $599.99. Shows in-stock at quite a few Henry's locations, too.
112 replies
Deal Addict
May 20, 2004
2494 posts
202 upvotes
Calgary
Very hot. Bummed that this is in store only. $50 less than B&H, but they have the single lens kit for $299 if you don't want the prime.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9921 posts
1097 upvotes
This is back in stock online. Super hot deal. This camera is super unpopular, somewhat unfairly so, and they are practically giving it away as the 10mm f2.8 alone sells for over $200. (Currently $250 at Henrys.)

I bought an E-PM2 (much better sensor) but just returned it to the store as the focus tracking was horrible.

The V1 gets trashed by those obsessing with pixel peeping and sensor size but it offers DSLR like shooting performance, and its high ISO performance is nowhere near as bad as some believe.

The lens selection is not great right now but these two included lenses should keep you busy for a while and will be useful on future upgraded (with better sensors) Nikon mirrorless bodies.

Some low light high ISO snaps with the Nikon V1
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/12/0 ... -nikon-v1/

Battle of the sensor sizes for low light supremacy – Nikon V1 versus Panasonic G3 versus Canon S95 / Canon G12 versus Nikon D5100
http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2011/10/ ... light.html
(This will really surprise people trashing the low light performance of this camera - the V1 held its own against the D5100 with APS-C sensor!)

Ordered! I think this is an excellent choice for those who want a mirrorless kit on a budget and don't care about having 40 lenses to choose from.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
2636 posts
652 upvotes
Vancouver
wow... just bought mine from BHphotovideo for the same price since there was no shipping option to Vancouver on this during boxing day...
Now my friend has to go pick it up from the states and I have an american warranty...

Hopefully i'll get a consolation prize and not have to pay duty
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9921 posts
1097 upvotes
This comes with a good electronic viewfinder, and a well reviewed prime (10mm f2.8). And a standard kit zoom lens. What's that gonna cost you in the m43 world? NEX world?

This camera has the fastest focussing and best focus tracking of any camera outside the DSLR world, from what I've read. It's ideal for sports, running kids etc. and not just stills - most of the 'wow' shots with the Sony NEX series and m43s are with stills, you may have noticed.

Available online, for now. I think it's a super hot deal.
Apr 15, 2006
206 posts
27 upvotes
This is hot! I just bought the basic one lens 10-30mm version for $380(after tax and brokerage, etc) and it showed up just after a mind-boggling two and a half weeks in transit. Should have waited… sigh.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1329 posts
87 upvotes
Don't know anything about cameras. Is this PMable with FS? or are they different models. Wouldn't mind to save another $35
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
2636 posts
652 upvotes
Vancouver
User Name wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 12:19 am
Don't know anything about cameras. Is this PMable with FS? or are they different models. Wouldn't mind to save another $35
futureshop doens't have that particular bundle for sale. They sell all the exact same parts in the bundle but I doubt you'll be able to pm.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1079 posts
87 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 10:59 pm
This comes with a good electronic viewfinder, and a well reviewed prime (10mm f2.8). And a standard kit zoom lens. What's that gonna cost you in the m43 world? NEX world?

This camera has the fastest focussing and best focus tracking of any camera outside the DSLR world, from what I've read. It's ideal for sports, running kids etc. and not just stills - most of the 'wow' shots with the Sony NEX series and m43s are with stills, you may have noticed.

Available online, for now. I think it's a super hot deal.
But just keep in mind that due to the small 1" sensor, you will not be able to achieve as shallow a depth of field as the other mirrorless cams with larger sensors under the same conditions. e.g. more difficult to get those shots where the background is blurry and the subject is in focus...the anti-point and shoot look that is so trendy these days.
Sep 23, 2006
54 posts
13 upvotes
I just picked up this camera from LD for 369 with the speedlight flash, no 10mm pancake lens, which I would have loved to have.
I have been testing the camera out the last week and am very happy with it, this is a HOT buy.
Oct 24, 2001
699 posts
21 upvotes
Edmonton
How is this compared to the Sony Nex-5R?
RFDers unite! Don't buy overpriced cars from greedy Canadian dealers. You can save tens of thousands of dollars by buying your cars in US!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1914 posts
381 upvotes
Thornhill
zulu888 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 12:54 am
How is this compared to the Sony Nex-5R?
NEX-5R would have better image quality and lower noise at high ISO, as it has a much larger sensor than the V1.
You can expect about 2 stop difference, i.e. an image taken by the V1 at ISO 800 and NEX-5R at ISO 3200 would have similar noise.
Sony is also the leader in image layering technology, which gives you very good result in in-camera HDR, Handheld twilight, anti-motion blur, multi-frame noise reduction, and sweep panorama. These features are not gimmicks and they can work surprisingly well. V1 do not have these functions.
5R has better video with 1080/60p and WiFi.

OTOH, V1 is smaller (both body and lenses) and it has faster AF. It has a built-in viewfinder (optional extra for NEX-5R, and it cannot use viewfinder and flash at the same time).

NEX-5R also works very well with legacy lenses (lenses for older cameras) and you can get adapters for any brand lenses, and not just Sony lenses.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1395 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed it's hot, it has a built in EVF too and Steve Huff seems to really like this camera a lot. I'd totally jump on this if I wasn't already invested in m43.

I've seen quite a few people already sporting the J1, a few people with the Samsung NX1000 so it does appear that having your brand available at major retailers like BB and FS (with your own dedicated display) works, sales like this can't hurt either. Strangely I have seen very few people with Olympus and Panasonic...plenty of NEX owners as well. I'm wondering when the EOS M will make in-roads because it seems to me the Nikon and Canon brand is indeed enough to make them sell...even if the hardcore enthusiasts aren't so fond of them.
× < >