• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2013 5:03 am
Tags:
None
Mar 29, 2007
525 posts
74 upvotes
-
Those of you with better knowledge in this realm, how is this vs a GF2/3? Been using my Nokia N8 on Vacations for a few travels now (which I have gotten some great shots),but I figure it's time to save the cell phone cam for spontaneous shots and buy a big boy camera for travels lol.

FWIW I seem to tend to lean towards night/low light photography (almost any cam today can get decent daytime shots I find).
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1914 posts
381 upvotes
Thornhill
Tomatolita wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 3:11 am
Those of you with better knowledge in this realm, how is this vs a GF2/3? Been using my Nokia N8 on Vacations for a few travels now (which I have gotten some great shots),but I figure it's time to save the cell phone cam for spontaneous shots and buy a big boy camera for travels lol.
FWIW I seem to tend to lean towards night/low light photography (almost any cam today can get decent daytime shots I find).
If your priority is Image Quality (IQ) under night/low light, then the larger the sensor, the better the result.
GF2/3 hass micro 4/3 sensor which is much larger than V1's 1" sensor, so it has superior low light IQ.
NEX's APS-C sensor, in turn, would be better than GF2/3.
Full frame is better still, but its price range is not comparable to these cameras.

Having said that, any of these would be a major step up from your N8 in low light photos.
But if you want the best low light photo, I would suggest NEX-5R or 6 and pair it with a fast prime lens (preferably image stabilized), and you'd be in heaven.
With the Hand Held Twilight mode, you can even take decent hand held low light shots without a tripod.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1079 posts
87 upvotes
dslrnewb wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 7:10 am
2.7 crop factor??
Yup, the class leader when it comes to the best value for wildlife photography. With the FT1 adapter, your 70-300mm dSLR lens becomes a 189-810mm.
Oct 31, 2002
996 posts
30 upvotes
Waterloo
Wow great price for a good mirror-less camera. I've been seeing the J1 with 10-30mm lens only on sale recently for $359 but this is a much better deal. Might pick one up for the GF...thanks OP!
Aug 14, 2008
84 posts
How does this deal compare to the Sony 5R for $529 or Sony NEX-F3 for $399?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9920 posts
1097 upvotes
the_reds wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 9:46 am
How does this deal compare to the Sony 5R for $529 or Sony NEX-F3 for $399?
Worse sensor, much faster autofocus, much better focus tracking. DSLR level shooting performance that will throw the Sony out the window.

For stills the Sonys will take better pics but for anything moving the Nikon will destroy the Sonys.

They are both good cameras, I just think the V1 is an exceptional deal with the built in viewfinder (Costs $250+ extra for the Sony) and the included prime lens (again, add $200+ to the cost of the Sony.)

The Sonys are great cameras but there's no way you're getting a Sony with all this extra stuff at $400. Depending on what you feel the kit lens is worth, this works out to paying $100 or less for the V1 body.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9920 posts
1097 upvotes
Tomatolita wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 3:11 am

From what I have read (see earlier links) the V1 sensor performance will be comparable to a GF2 (last gen m43). The sensor is slightly smaller but it's unlikely it makes lot of real world difference. Nikon has got some very good performance out of their (relatively) small custom sensor.

As I mentioned earlier, everyone just assumes this has poor low light performance due to the smaller sensor, but it's not actually the case.

Of course, the NEX, E-PM2 will outperform this in low light. But as I mentioned earlier, I returned the E-PM2 due to its poor focus tracking. Great sensor but poor real world performance in low light shooting. Part of that is probably due to its crappy kit lens but the E-PM2 plus a decent prime lens will cost at least $850. The V1 has the fastest and best focus tracking of any camera this size.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9920 posts
1097 upvotes
jh1 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 7:47 am
Yup, the class leader when it comes to the best value for wildlife photography. With the FT1 adapter, your 70-300mm dSLR lens becomes a 189-810mm.
Cool.. but as for wide angle... :(

But the included 10mm f2.8 is I believe equivalent to about 30mm on a DSLR.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9920 posts
1097 upvotes
Ticco wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 1:21 am
Agreed it's hot, it has a built in EVF too and Steve Huff seems to really like this camera a lot. I'd totally jump on this if I wasn't already invested in m43.

I've seen quite a few people already sporting the J1, a few people with the Samsung NX1000 so it does appear that having your brand available at major retailers like BB and FS (with your own dedicated display) works, sales like this can't hurt either. Strangely I have seen very few people with Olympus and Panasonic...plenty of NEX owners as well. I'm wondering when the EOS M will make in-roads because it seems to me the Nikon and Canon brand is indeed enough to make them sell...even if the hardcore enthusiasts aren't so fond of them.
That's the thing, Nikon has lost this round (regardless of this camera's merits, it is a sales flop). But they will improve their mirrorless in coming generations, and you can use the included lenses on future better Nikon bodies. Nikon is NOT just going to give up the mirrorless market. The option to use F series lenses is also exciting.

Most of the reviews trashing the V1 were considering the MSRP of $800 or $900. Everyone would agree that the V1 launched way overpriced.

No sane person would trash this V1 deal, for all you're getting at $400. With the prime and kit lens, you're ready to shoot most stuff. All you (maybe) need is a telephoto.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9920 posts
1097 upvotes
Vakman wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 1:41 am
Wasn't this on sale for the same or less on Black Friday/Cyber Monday or was that a different model?
This has been as low as $299 with only the kit lens (no prime.) I think getting the prime for an extra $100 is a much hotter deal. The reviews of the prime lens are excellent.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1914 posts
381 upvotes
Thornhill
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 9:54 am
For stills the Sonys will take better pics but for anything moving the Nikon will destroy the Sonys.
"Anything moving" is a bit misleading.... Nikon would be better in sports photography or running kids. For many moving objects, Sony can still do an adequate job.
NEX-5R and 6 also has on sensor phase detection AF, and they help in AF tracking.
Smaller sensor would always be better in AF because the Depth of Field is larger and can tolerate more AF errors.
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 9:57 am
From what I have read (see earlier links) the V1 sensor performance will be comparable to a GF2 (last gen m43). The sensor is slightly smaller but it's unlikely it makes lot of real world difference.
V1 DXO marks for low light score is 346 vs GF3's 459, and is "destroyed" by NEX-5R's score of 910.
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 10:03 am
That's the thing, Nikon has lost this round (regardless of this camera's merits, it is a sales flop). But they will improve their mirrorless in coming generations, and you can use the included lenses on future better Nikon bodies. Nikon is NOT just going to give up the mirrorless market.
Actually, the Nikon 1 J1 was a sales success in terms of volume. But Nikon would not be happy about its #4 position in Japan in mirrorless market share.
The biggest question - how long will they support the small sensor Nikon 1 system?

Nikon has started filing patents for a APS-C size sensor mirrorless camera system. With Canon going the large sensor route, Nikon has got to keep up.
So when Nikon is ready to release an APS-C mirrorless, what role would the Nikon 1 system play? How much support will it get?
No sane person would trash this V1 deal, for all you're getting at $400. With the prime and kit lens, you're ready to shoot most stuff. All you (maybe) need is a telephoto.
This is a good deal, but one has to think in terms of longevity and support for the camera system. For example, what lenses would be available, now and the future.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9920 posts
1097 upvotes
nosnoop wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 11:11 am
This is a good deal, but one has to think in terms of longevity and support for the camera system. For example, what lenses would be available, now and the future.
We'll see. But in the long run everything mirrorless is going to get much cheaper with better lens selection all around. This is probably the only mirrorless camera that can compete with a DSLR in shooting performance at this point in time. The viewfinder will make this attractive to many as it's uncommon and expensive in the mirrorless world.

If someone wants to move to another system down the road I'm sure they can sell the two lenses alone for a couple of hundred bucks at minimum, and get the use of a high performance 'compact' in the meantime. The body will be worth $50 to $100 for a couple of years. And that's assuming Nikon abandons this system, worst case scenario.

Everything camera related is depreciating rapidly these days. The prices of NEX and m43 bodies and lenses are going to fall significantly as competition heats up.
This is why I wouldn't suggest making a huge lens investment in any mirrorless system just yet. Wait to see what Canon does, etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1079 posts
87 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 9:59 am
Cool.. but as for wide angle... :(

But the included 10mm f2.8 is I believe equivalent to about 30mm on a DSLR.
Not quite. If the multiplier is 2.7X, 10mm x 2.7 = 27mm. That is wider than most kit zoom lenses.
Nikon has already announced a wide angle zoom for Nikon One: 6.7-13mm (the equivalent of 18-35mm in full frame). And unlike most ultra-wide angle zooms, this will come with optical stabilization.
× < >