• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2013 5:03 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9013 posts
1183 upvotes
You just gave me a reason to stay hopeful for the Nikon 1. I don't like the image quality, hopefully Nikon will give us a boost like the latest M4/3 (Oly EM5).
jh1 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 7:47 am
Yup, the class leader when it comes to the best value for wildlife photography. With the FT1 adapter, your 70-300mm dSLR lens becomes a 189-810mm.
Nov 24, 2002
129 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Considering this camera. Experts out there --- question for you all.
Without a built in flash --- is this a big issue?
Looking for something compact to travel with that takes nice photos....my DSLR is too big and bulky.
Thanks.
Jan 9, 2007
26 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I ordered one late last night, however, when I checked the status this afternoon, my order was canceled. I called Henry's and emailed them for reason 2 to 3 hours ago, but still unable to get connected with them.

Seems I have to avoid Henry's with their "Black Hole" unresponsive style of customer services. Should go to the State, with $100 more I can have 10-30mm and 30-100mm package.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
2647 posts
667 upvotes
Vancouver
drjoydavid wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 2:45 pm
I ordered one late last night, however, when I checked the status this afternoon, my order was canceled. I called Henry's and emailed them for reason 2 to 3 hours ago, but still unable to get connected with them.

Seems I have to avoid Henry's with their "Black Hole" unresponsive style of customer services. Should go to the State, with $100 more I can have 10-30mm and 30-100mm package.
10-30mm and 30-110mm package was $399.99 in the states a week ago, same with the 10mm 10-30mm package so i suggest waiting for it to drop again.

I personally would take the 10mm over the 30-110mm since i want something small and fast.
Aug 22, 2005
222 posts
29 upvotes
Ontario
Picked up one of these kits in the store on Boxing Day. I'm surprised that there was no discussion about it at that time. After taking about 200 shots, shooting RAW and normally in aperture priority mode, I have to say I am VERY impressed by this little camera. The AF system must surely be considered state of the art, and a number of pro reviews have confirmed this. OOC shots looks great at anything at or below 800 ISO in good light. Colour rendition is typical Nikon...vivid and punchy without being overblown. After shooting with a D40x and D90 for a number of years I found myself picking up my wife's point-and-shoot more often than my dSLR because of its portability. Hence my interest in the Nikon 1. It's not the highest rez camera in this class, but with ongoing lens development, the ability to use Nikkor AF-S lenses (turning some of them into incredible reach telephotos), and the crazy low price, it's an excellent buy!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1081 posts
88 upvotes
crazycoward wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 2:59 pm
10-30mm and 30-110mm package was $399.99 in the states a week ago, same with the 10mm 10-30mm package so i suggest waiting for it to drop again.

I personally would take the 10mm over the 30-110mm since i want something small and fast.
+1

The 10mm pancake lens makes the V1 more compact as a grab-n-go camera. The 30-110mm is the sharpest lens of the series. IMO, the 10-30mm is boring and cumbersome to use for impromptu grab shots because you have to use both hands to turn on the camera: One hand to press the button on the lens while twisting it to turn on the camera with the other hand holding the camera. That becomes annoying. With the 10mm, you can press the camera-on button with your index finger while bringing the camera out of the bag and it is ready for shooting by the time it is up to your eye. I can tolerate the lens button on the 30-110mm because unlike the 10mm which says on the camera most of the time, the 30-110 is for more special purpose and deliberate in usage.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1081 posts
88 upvotes
Miyake wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 2:32 pm
Considering this camera. Experts out there --- question for you all.
Without a built in flash --- is this a big issue?
Looking for something compact to travel with that takes nice photos....my DSLR is too big and bulky.
Thanks.
Depends how you intend to use the camera. For sunny outdoor use, the flash isn't too useful for fill-flash of dark shadows on faces because the sync-speed tops out at 1/250 second on the V1. Your shutter speed on a sunny day is usually much faster than that. But for evening shots, say in a restaurant or for people shots in front of night scenery, a flash is a necessity.

Note that the V1 hotshoe is non-standard. You cannot mount standard flashes or even any Nikon speedlights like the SB-400,SB-700 etc.

IMO, the Nikon 1 flashes are poor value for the power you are getting, but you have no choice since they are proprietary. That's why I went with the packages which included the flash for free.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9960 posts
1113 upvotes
drjoydavid wrote:

Weird, I ordered yesterday evening and got shipping confirmation today.

This is still listed as in stock online.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9960 posts
1113 upvotes
jh1 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 3:12 pm
+1

The 10mm pancake lens makes the V1 more compact as a grab-n-go camera. The 30-110mm is the sharpest lens of the series. IMO, the 10-30mm is boring and cumbersome to use for impromptu grab shots because you have to use both hands to turn on the camera: One hand to press the button on the lens while twisting it to turn on the camera with the other hand holding the camera. That becomes annoying. With the 10mm, you can press the camera-on button with your index finger while bringing the camera out of the bag and it is ready for shooting by the time it is up to your eye. I can tolerate the lens button on the 30-110mm because unlike the 10mm which says on the camera most of the time, the 30-110 is for more special purpose and deliberate in usage.
Yeah, I guess a telephoto has its place but putting a big telephoto on a camera like this sort of defeats the purpose of why you bought it (portability.)

I'd imagine most people buying this already own DSLRs and just want something portable and high quality. The kit lens and the prime will be good enough for me.

The lack of flash is somewhat of a concern but I don't usually use a flash anyways.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
4805 posts
230 upvotes
The Sony has much better image quality, especially in lower light situation when the images from the 1 are rather noisy. The 1 does have a much faster focus. However, I don't see people taking sport photos with these cameras anyway. To me, I rather pay a bit more for better image quality. I guess at this price, it's still a better buy than a premium point and shoot. But for anyone seriously jumping into the mirrorless world, I strongly recommend the Sony NEX.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9960 posts
1113 upvotes
golden wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 3:43 pm
The Sony has much better image quality, especially in lower light situation when the images from the 1 are rather noisy. The 1 does have a much faster focus. However, I don't see people taking sport photos with these cameras anyway. To me, I rather pay a bit more for better image quality. I guess at this price, it's still a better buy than a premium point and shoot. But for anyone seriously jumping into the mirrorless world, I strongly recommend the Sony NEX.
Fair enough, but to get say the NEX-5R ($530) with a comparable prime is gonna cost at least $800 so we're comparing apples and oranges.

Much fairer to compare this against GF2 deals etc. The sensor is fairly comparable.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1081 posts
88 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 3:36 pm
Yeah, I guess a telephoto has its place but putting a big telephoto on a camera like this sort of defeats the purpose of why you bought it (portability.)

I'd imagine most people buying this already own DSLRs and just want something portable and high quality. The kit lens and the prime will be good enough for me.

The lack of flash is somewhat of a concern but I don't usually use a flash anyways.
I wouldn't call the 30-110mm a 'big' telephoto:
http://camerasize.com/compact/#123.40,1 ... 3.321,ha,t

I can only speak for myself, but I find the 10mm and 30-110mm satisfies most of my needs. Most people these days have forgotten how to zoom with their feet :)
Mar 29, 2007
525 posts
74 upvotes
-
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 3:50 pm
Fair enough, but to get say the NEX-5R ($530) with a comparable prime is gonna cost at least $800 so we're comparing apples and oranges.

Much fairer to compare this against GF2 deals etc. The sensor is fairly comparable.
I'm debating on ordering this deal or the GF2 deal. Except at around this price i'm only getting the 14mm pancake in the GF2. Hrmmmmm.......though I kinda like the idea of the having the flash on the GF2, I get an extra lens in the V1.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1330 posts
87 upvotes
I went to the store today and this deal expired yesterday. It's back up to $529 kit only. If you ordered too late maybe they cancelled the order on you :-0

Edit: Weird, still shows the sale price online with no indication of expiry date :confused: although the sales I talked to today totally discouraged buying Nikon, saying the lens selection is too limited at 3, and the adaptor alone is $300 but then makes the camera bulky which defeats the purpose of the mirrorless system. He recommended a Panasonic mirrorless > Olympus mirrorless > Sony mirrorless then the Nikon. He also said this Nikon would be not much different in low light conditions than a point and shoot which was one of our primary reasons for wanting to upgrade our camera. Sick of all the grainy crappy low light shots, or washed out flash shots.
drjoydavid wrote:

× < >