• Jan 10th, 2013 5:03 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1329 posts
87 upvotes
Will this adaptor work?

I can't believe this shoe is unprotected and they sell a cover for $6 though :/ talk about nickel and diming...

Seems like there are a lot of drawbacks to this Nikon 1 system - small sensor, lot of review say poor low light performance, limited lenses compare to other m43 systems, no manual focus on the lenses (have to use the dial on the body), no touch sensitive LCD, non-mappable physical buttons, etc but then you have the rock bottom price that make it cheaper than even some point and shoots which includes the portable prime lens. Good thing there is enough positive review about this camera, and not enough camera knowledge on my part to know what I am missing out on :lol:
Spectre wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 3:43 am
However, I am a little pissed at Nikon for 1. not including a flash, even just a little itty-bity one like the E-PM1 has; 2. offering more flash options like a hot shoe adapter; 3. a cheaper flash(ideally around 60-80 bucks).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9920 posts
1097 upvotes
User Name wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 9:21 am
Seems like there are a lot of drawbacks to this Nikon 1 system - small sensor, lot of review say poor low light performance, limited lenses compare to other m43 systems, no manual focus on the lenses (have to use the dial on the body), no touch sensitive LCD, non-mappable physical buttons, etc but then you have the rock bottom price that make it cheaper than even some point and shoots which includes the portable prime lens. Good thing there is enough positive review about this camera, and not enough camera knowledge on my part to know what I am missing out on :lol:
It's a super cheap price. Excellent camera for street shooting, shots of kids, traveling, outdoor stuff. I doubt many people are going to be using this as their only camera. Not really a big investment for good performance camera and two quality lenses - use it for a year or two and see where the Nikon 1 system is at then. Nothing stopping anyone from using and enjoying this now reselling this gear for $200-250 in a couple of years and moving to another system when the NEX and m43 prices drop and those cameras improve further. By that time the new gen of Nikon 1 bodies may be much better too. At this price you're getting the Nikon body for less than $100 when you factor in the price of the two lenses.

The sensor is way better than the LX7, S110, etc. and most people are probably only using this to compliment a DSLR, I know I am.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
8987 posts
1181 upvotes
If manual focus is important to you, you should able to make your own deicsion ;-) I wonder manual focus is avaialble for F-mount lens with FT-1 adapter, anyone know?

You had asked a good question about the flash adapter. Will that work with standard Nikon flash? Any limitation?

Edited: AS-N1000 is not compatible with Speedlight or any standard flash. It is for other accessories.

User Name wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 9:21 am
Will this adaptor work?

I can't believe this shoe is unprotected and they sell a cover for $6 though :/ talk about nickel and diming...

Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2558 posts
17 upvotes
Just curious if anyone knows how this compares to Panasonic Lumix DMC LX7?
Got it for $299 @B&H.
My Heatware
Dec 12, 2012
41 posts
7 upvotes
NORTH YORK
User Name wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 4:52 pm
I went to the store today and this deal expired yesterday. It's back up to $529 kit only. If you ordered too late maybe they cancelled the order on you :-0

Edit: Weird, still shows the sale price online with no indication of expiry date :confused: although the sales I talked to today totally discouraged buying Nikon, saying the lens selection is too limited at 3, and the adaptor alone is $300 but then makes the camera bulky which defeats the purpose of the mirrorless system. He recommended a Panasonic mirrorless > Olympus mirrorless > Sony mirrorless then the Nikon. He also said this Nikon would be not much different in low light conditions than a point and shoot which was one of our primary reasons for wanting to upgrade our camera. Sick of all the grainy crappy low light shots, or washed out flash shots.
I ordered online yesterday (Jan 3rd) at 5PM, have received a shipping confirmation (11AM today, Jan 4th)
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1079 posts
87 upvotes
Spectre wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 3:43 am
- The mechanical shutter is very quiet. Slightly louder than a regular P&S, minus the fake shutter noise, of course. And the electronic shutter is totally silent. I am leaving it on mechanical for now just so I know I had pressed the shutter all the way down and taken a picture.
You do realize that you can use the electronic shutter with a fake shutter sound right? That way, you will have zero wear and tear on the mechanical shutter.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9920 posts
1097 upvotes
Mayosandwich wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:19 am
This is a much better camera for same price. $399 at costco right now

http://www.costco.ca/Sony-Alpha-NEX-F3- ... reId=10302
It's not really the same price as you will pay an extra $200+ to add a prime lens to this bundle. And if you need a viewfinder, add another $250+.

When you add in all these items, it becomes clear why the V1 bundle is such a great deal at $400.

As mentioned too, it has DSLR level shooting performance, the NEX does not.
Apr 15, 2006
206 posts
27 upvotes
jh1 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 12:02 pm
You do realize that you can use the electronic shutter with a fake shutter sound right? That way, you will have zero wear and tear on the mechanical shutter.
I tried that but that fake shutter sound is a little annoying as it's actually louder than the mechanical shutter sound and the volume can't be adjusted.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1329 posts
87 upvotes
heh I probably won't ever use manual focus, but the wife is in her "learning how to photograph" phase since the kids showed up, so who knows maybe at some point she will want to. It also seemed like all the online reviews complained about this aspect, but then again the reviewers were probably all snobbish "expert" photographers who insist on every feature or it's crap heheh. I remember like 8 years ago we bought a Sony P&S cuz my wife liked how small it was and how it looked, and I think it even cost more than this Nikon and I didn't even think twice about buying it. At the end of the day I'm probably wasting too much effort and thinking over $400. Gonna go pick this thing up later today.
82 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 10:23 am
If manual focus is important to you, you should able to make your own deicsion ;-) I wonder manual focus is avaialble for F-mount lens with FT-1 adapter, anyone know?
So is it recommended to use the electronic shutter only? or are there certain occasions where the mechanical is the better choice? must be a reason they put it in there...
jh1 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 12:02 pm
Apr 15, 2006
206 posts
27 upvotes
User Name wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 1:58 pm
So is it recommended to use the electronic shutter only? or are there certain occasions where the mechanical is the better choice? must be a reason they put it in there...
The mechanical shutter can flash sync up to 1/250 sec. The electronic shutter can only sync up to 1/60 sec. So the mechanical shutter is better suited for fill flash uses, especially outdoors.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1079 posts
87 upvotes
Spectre wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 1:16 pm
I tried that but that fake shutter sound is a little annoying as it's actually louder than the mechanical shutter sound and the volume can't be adjusted.
Just tape over the speaker holes to the left of the shutter button. That will reduce the volume.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2009
1971 posts
502 upvotes
MTL
jh1 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 6:10 pm
- The NEX camera are noisy 'clackers' when you take a picture. Being able to shoot silently with the Nikon 1 can be invaluable for candid photography when you want to capture natural expressions or situations without making subject(s) aware that you are even shooting. Silence is invaluable in quiet settings such as a live performance or museum etc.
The newer mid/high range NEX have an electronic first curtain shutter option that makes it quieter (7 and 5N has this at the very least). My old NEX-5 doesn't, unfortunately, and makes a very annoying clack depending on how quiet the area is. However, given the number of low-light photos I've successfully taken, I wouldn't trade it for a camera that has 1/4 the sensor size.
jh1 wrote:
- the best image quality in the world is useless if you can't nail focus in time. IMO, the Nikon 1's dSLR-like AF speed gives you limitless possibilities to get the shot.
You exaggerate. My old NEX-5 does NOT take that long to focus. In fact, it's the opposite -- the V1 is faster than most DSLRs due to the smaller barrel:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T3I/T3IA6.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2A6.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5N/NEX5NA6.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/N ... ONV1A6.HTM

If you want to see slow:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G1X/G1XA6.HTM

But if you do a photo quality review, the DSLRs give the V1 an extremely hard time since the sensor is only a quarter of the size.
jh1 wrote:
- whether these camera are used to take sports photos is up to the owner. But the important point is that they are capable of it
/me took pictures out of a bullet train. Just make sure you don't forget to bump the ISO a bit because AUTO on it (and the majority of cameras) won't right at those speeds.
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 1:01 pm
As mentioned too, it has DSLR level shooting performance, the NEX does not.
You guys seem to be ragging it a lot without having either camera. If you're looking for a DSLR, you get a DSLR. If you want something slightly smaller than a DSLR, then get a NEX or micro4/3. What it *sounds* like you guys want is a P&S with a bigger sensor and interchangable lens, not a DSLR. Size-wise, the NEX is actually *SMALLER* than the V1 if you exclude the lenses, and not that much longer if you do include both stock zoom ones.

I bought an original NEX-5, I'm quite happy with it (despite the fact I would've preferred a Canon). The V1 has quite a number of features appear to be tailored to cater to the DSLR crowd, but the lack of at least a micro4/3-sized sensor is a bit of a turnoff. The smaller sensor enables them to get better magnification using similar-sized lenses, but I'm not seeing that as much of a benefit except for speed at the expense of quality. If the speed is good enough most of the time, I think most people would rather have quality over quantity.

And comparing my vacation pics with my friend who has a T3i, there is hardly much of a difference (except that camera was more of a handful for him to carry around). Comparing a T3i and a NEX-5 are in the same league. The V1 is hardly in the same league as a NEX and anyone saying otherwise is just kidding themselves. The V1 is more comparable with a micro4/3.

EDIT: Review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonv1j1/19
May 2, 2005
77 posts
2 upvotes
I purchased this camera. I own a d3100, d7000....and my overall-lifetime favorite FE. Being of the generation that learned from the FE (the best of the best), I never really appreciated the new digital cameras...save the wonderful convenience and quality of my titantium Canon digital elph, among other digital compact cameras. My dSLR experience...was totally Nikon, from the time that I totally hooked when I attached a dedicated 90mm macro on the FE. I recently have coveted the Fuji mirorless X1 (not sure)...at about 1500$. The Nikon V1 appeared on the scene and I am more than intrigued. I follow the debate...from listening as the Nikon engineers describe the 5 year engineering feat of the production of this camera.

The FE-folk --- like myself -- saw no problem...understood that 10 megapixels is more than enough---small processor---fine---need a walkabout camera that has a great feel--okay I lose a little depth--don't achieve the bokeh of a 35mm (I have gear that can do this and more), and takes good pictures--likes being able to change a lens (and NO....the proprietary adaptor than can utililize a GIGANTIC lens...while being possible is ludricous to the nth degree--Afterall, great pictures are produced--firstly in the mind of the photographer--only to be enhanced by the equipment/glass.

This is a nice camera. The jury is out on what Nikon has as its 'end-game'---would love to be a fly on the wall at Nikon Engineering meetings on the Mirorless cameras---mind you, this is just an indication of the huge engineering-revolution in the new generation of cameras. I am rambling---but I am delighted with my purchase. How low Nikon will go with these cameras will be very interesting--can't be much lower, because of what will rub off on the new models. As I said---the FE--generation -- is surplanted in $$ and desire by a new generation than NEEDS a great GRIP, an on-board flash===(the proprietary flash of the V! is BEAUTIFUL---a tinker-gadget--got it--love it)--aa larger sensor, and more mega-pixels--all of which are totally uncesscary to the genius of the V1 and the creativity of its user. Have it-love it!
× < >