Automotive

Here's a quick trick for fixing up rust buckets!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2005 4:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
142 upvotes

Here's a quick trick for fixing up rust buckets!

I've done this a few times and I'm actually quite impressed at the speed and ease I can turn a total rust bucket into a sparkly jewel.

In one case, (my mothers car) the rust was so bad (and old Falcon) that the trunk wells were no longer... huge 1 foot holes and the outside fenders from the top of the wheel down was space... you could see what was in the trunk without lifting the lid.... ditto for most of the car, rockers showed the frame etc.
I suppose I could have spent days fabricating metal.. I told here to junk it, but it was still on the road and she didn't have a lot of bucks. The other case wasn't quite so bad.. a Honda Civic with rocker and fender problems... I used the following method and it works like a charm and in 2 hours no less.

You go get yourself some polyurethane foam, this is available from most boating supply shops and fiberglass outfitters by the gallon/quart. You get two components 50/50 and you mix them together with a drill (high speed because this happens very quickly) the consistency is like honey at first, but expands to 10-50 times it's size (it's plastic foam) and you pour it into 'prefabbed cardboard form shapes that you've taped to the car. The forms you make must contain the foam as it's expanding and must roughly be the spaes you need. 10 minutes later... Volia plastic patches. Next using something like a surfoam rasp (those metal scrapping tools with tiny holes) you shape it and then slide a thin coat of bondo (fiberglass if the part is bigger than 1 foot although I've never bothered) on top and you have something that is close to paint and 1 hour has passed.

Best of all, it's great insulation, seals out further water damage and usually fills the rockers. I know RFDers can appreciate how low one can go...
18 replies
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
Here in Toronto
Remind me to not buy a car from you.. maybe it looks better, but too bad you didn't actually do anything about the rust.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
142 upvotes
v00d00 wrote:Remind me to not buy a car from you.. maybe it looks better, but too bad you didn't actually do anything about the rust.
Well I do cut the rust out first... This is a great way to make a huge shark fin or wild customizations. Look under any plastic bumper these days and you see foam...Filling holes is a side issue and seems to work and it looks like there's plenty of RFDers driving rust buckets.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
292 upvotes
Midland
v00d00 wrote:Remind me to not buy a car from you.. maybe it looks better, but too bad you didn't actually do anything about the rust.
This is probably a great, cheap way to fix a rustbucket that you are not reselling.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
236 upvotes
ah802 wrote:I've done this a few times and I'm actually quite impressed at the speed and ease I can turn a total rust bucket into a sparkly jewel.

Best of all, it's great insulation, seals out further water damage and usually fills the rockers. I know RFDers can appreciate how low one can go...
You have pictures that accompany this process?
Dec 10, 2003
506 posts
4 upvotes
that sounds great! I would love to try that out! I would like to see pictures too.

Can you tell us the brand name of that polyurthane and fibreglass outfitter?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4532 posts
167 upvotes
Vancity
yeah, though it sounds cool, i have no idea how to do this
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5674 posts
176 upvotes
Am I the only one who thought this thread was about cleaning up rusted water buckets ?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
2301 posts
GTA
Sounds awesome! Need more info on how to/or pics.
I have just the car to try this out on.

What are 'prefabbed cardboard form shapes'? :confused:
"Feelin' okay this mornin', and you know,
We're on the road to paradise...Here we go"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8615 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
I love to see pics.. you know a picture says a 1000 words plus would make have more ideas also. to know how to patch.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3859 posts
164 upvotes
fakishan wrote:Am I the only one who thought this thread was about cleaning up rusted water buckets ?
No, me too, I need to read the titles closer
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
I think i'll spend my time and money just buying another car.
Mar 4, 2003
459 posts
mmm where's willy and canadaboy when we need'em??