Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Hertz Rent A car] HERTZ Car Rental Discount Code & Coupons(50% OFF/Free #1 Gold/$40 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2019 2:41 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
4 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote:
May 31st, 2007 2:44 pm
There is usually a max mileage per rental agreement. With Discount its 30days or 3000km so when you meet 30days or 3000km, you have to go to a Discount location and re-new your contract.

Just did a quick check ...

Hertz ; Hyundai Accent @ 26.99 day on weekend
Discount ; Hyundai Accent @ 14.99 day on weekend
Can I drive 2000kms in one day and not be charged extra? That is the most important part of my question. Say if it cost me 16.99 for the day ... is that all I will pay?
Jul 23, 2003
91 posts
London
I just finished booking with hertz for june 6,7,8,9total came to $152 USD for a compact car (hyundi elantra or similar) The next cheapest I could find was 162 from AVIS.

This is for Washington DC btw
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
1682 posts
16 upvotes
addicted2it wrote:
May 31st, 2007 2:58 pm
I just checked Discount and I get 16.99 per day for the accent on a weekend :( ..Does it vary by location/city...I checked for markham btw.
I have to rent downtown Toronto for my rentals and lemme tell you the rates vary wildly between the different agencies. I've never been able to get a cheap rental fro Discount as they're never ever in stock! I usually go to Avis, Thrifty and Hertz in that order.

Budget, Dollar, and the other agencies are always more expensive than these three places downtown on a regular basis.

I'm moving Thrifty up in my list because the Holiday Inn location on King has the Yaris, Prius, and Camry Hybrid in stock regularly. They also regularly have the Mazda 3 in hatchback form.

The Front/Skydome location of Hertz is good to deal with usually as far as Hertz locations go. The guys at yonge/bloor are more of a pain. Avis is the better agency at that location even though the fleet is pretty stinky right now. I'm hoping they get a fleet refresh soon as the stuff that they have never interests me.
May 15, 2004
297 posts
12 upvotes
addicted2it wrote:
May 31st, 2007 2:58 pm
I just checked Discount and I get 16.99 per day for the accent on a weekend :( ..Does it vary by location/city...I checked for markham btw.
Do not rent from Discount in Markham..... I had 2 bad experiences with both locations...... 1 stole my credit card # and used it to buy things off the internet.... and the other 1 overcharged me by $50 for a 3 day rental.
Never again will I rent from them.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1832 posts
47 upvotes
BlueStar wrote:
May 31st, 2007 10:28 pm
Do not rent from Discount in Markham..... I had 2 bad experiences with both locations...... 1 stole my credit card # and used it to buy things off the internet.... and the other 1 overcharged me by $50 for a 3 day rental.
Never again will I rent from them.
Hey..Thnx for the heads up...I was almost about to book from them but after reading your experience have decided not to...I am trying AVIS, but their online system shows all cars sold out for the weekend :(
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
1682 posts
16 upvotes
If you go in person that day you might be able to get a car from them from a no-show reservation. If you're desperate for a car though you might be SOL
Feb 27, 2006
13 posts
NC USA
CoffeeAddict wrote:
May 31st, 2007 4:17 pm
I have to rent downtown Toronto for my rentals and lemme tell you the rates vary wildly between the different agencies. I've never been able to get a cheap rental fro Discount as they're never ever in stock! I usually go to Avis, Thrifty and Hertz in that order.

Budget, Dollar, and the other agencies are always more expensive than these three places downtown on a regular basis.

I'm moving Thrifty up in my list because the Holiday Inn location on King has the Yaris, Prius, and Camry Hybrid in stock regularly. They also regularly have the Mazda 3 in hatchback form.

The Front/Skydome location of Hertz is good to deal with usually as far as Hertz locations go. The guys at yonge/bloor are more of a pain. Avis is the better agency at that location even though the fleet is pretty stinky right now. I'm hoping they get a fleet refresh soon as the stuff that they have never interests me.
How bad is yonge/bloor Hertz? I booked Aug3-13 with $315CAD in total at this location (ford focus or similar).
[OP]
Jul 4, 2004
788 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
phics wrote:
May 31st, 2007 12:51 pm
Hertz used to have competitive rates but I find now have higher than average rates. I rented one last weekend (because I had an excellent rate code from travelzoo that was also posted here) and the agent agreed with me - couldn't understand why people still rent with Hertz when it is so expensive. Granted the airport location is opened 24hrs, service is satisfactory and yes they have a green collection and some japanese makes but your reservation does not guarantee that you get the car you want.

ANYWAY...my posting is to tell you this: from what the agent tells me, in case of accidents and you do not take Hertz's liability coverage/LDW, Hertz DOES NOT deal with credit card company insurance nor your regular auto insurance company.

This means that: Hertz will bill YOU directly for the damages and YOU have to sort it out with the insurance company.

Meaning Hertz will bill you $500 for one blown tire, for example, and depending how you negotiate with the insurance company, you might be able to only claim back $150 - the estimated market cost of replacing one tire.

The agent recounted a situation a renter had where someone ripped off the jaguar animal emblem off the hood of his rented jaguar and Hertz charged him $3000 for it when the replacement cost was really just $500.

Now this could have been a way to push LDW & their coverage on me but it did get me all worried..... (I didn't take it anyway). So I'm leaving Hertz off my rental list.

So just an FYI and if someone can validate/counter this piece of info, that would be great!
Hertz & Avis are nicest car agencies to work with in an accident situation. If you want trouble, try Enterprise or Dollars.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2004
788 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
longdong wrote:
May 31st, 2007 2:06 pm
very funny , I tried to put the code in :

299$ us for 1 week in Orlando international airport (June 30 to June 07)

and

247$ without code ...
DO NOT EVER check quote me the program my company has negotiated!!!

MCO June 30 - July 7
Without code
Ford Mustang $329 US
With 1757580 CDP
Ford Mustang $222 US

About 33% discount!
[OP]
Jul 4, 2004
788 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
boyoflondon wrote:
May 31st, 2007 2:44 pm
There is usually a max mileage per rental agreement. With Discount its 30days or 3000km so when you meet 30days or 3000km, you have to go to a Discount location and re-new your contract.

Just did a quick check ...

Hertz ; Hyundai Accent @ 26.99 day on weekend
Discount ; Hyundai Accent @ 14.99 day on weekend
Hertz and Avis' unlimited kilometer are a truly unlimited kilometer. If you can put on 10K, then that is what it is. No extra charge. Only second class car agencies would cheat you out of unlimited kilometer or charge you.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2813 posts
25 upvotes
addicted2it wrote:
May 31st, 2007 12:47 pm
What's the best deal on a compact/economy for weekend rental from Hertz...Any particular codes you can provide...would really appreciate any input/help from you...
Try your luck bidding on Priceline. I booked an economy car out of LAS for $12/day+ taxes & fees = $100 for 5 days from AVIS.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2004
788 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
My choice:

#1 Avis (best overall agency)
#2 Hertz (book only when Avis is out of car or more expensive or want special fleet from Hertz)
#3 Thrifty (only when I have extra driver or someone underage of 25)
#4 National (sad presence in Canada)

Check the coupon code thread I created for them.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
1682 posts
16 upvotes
tljswallow wrote:
Jun 1st, 2007 1:45 pm
How bad is yonge/bloor Hertz? I booked Aug3-13 with $315CAD in total at this location (ford focus or similar).
Isn't there a class under the ford focus? I can't recall off the top of my head. If you can just go for the compact and it'll save you some dollars per day and ovr 9 nights that'll add up. They'll probably end up upgrading you to a full size anyway as the compacts really go fast.

I can't give any recent advice on the Hertz location there as far as their fleet goes. Haven't rented at that location in a while. The service is good there though.

If you wanna do a scouting mission you can always go to where the cars are parked underground if you're in the neighborhood and you can compare the fleets yourself! I believe Hertz in general prefers US cars for their fleets in Toronto but you might get lucky and get a japanese ride.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
4 upvotes
almostfreeman wrote:
Jun 5th, 2007 8:43 am
Try your luck bidding on Priceline. I booked an economy car out of LAS for $12/day+ taxes & fees = $100 for 5 days from AVIS.
If you book on Priceline do you get unlimited KMs?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)