Art and Photography

hi all experts....D40X or A100K?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2007 8:43 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: D40X or A100K?

• Total votes: 9. You have voted on this poll.
D40X

78%
A100K

22%

Poll ended at Dec 23rd, 2007 1:13 pm

Jul 4, 2006
395 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond hill

hi all experts....D40X or A100K?

hi, i'm a noob...i have asked some questions previously on verious posts...
but now...i finally come down to these 2 options and i will get it this weekend....

nikon D40X
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 678&catid=
the weight is nice cause' it is small, nikon have one of the largest collection of lens...but...size is too small for nice grip, no info screen on the top....

sony A100K
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 776&catid=
nice solid feel although a bit bulky, super steady shot....but.....not many lens to choose from sony or minolta, noisey at iso800 or 1600, still have no info screen on the top

I went to the store to try the actual thing, both are actually not bad, sigh...that's why i m struggling.....

thanks in advance
:D
please give me some input as of which one to choose, thanks a million.....
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
which part are you struggling at?

it all seems pretty simple if you know what you want to do
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Good to see you already know the differences.

The D40X and A100 share similar sensors, but with different processing. I like the A100's bigger body and in-body stabilization, but as you said, noise can be a problem above ISO800. The new firmware revision is said to help a little bit. You can use Minolta's older lenses... they're not too hard to find. At least you'll have AF with older lenses, unlike the D40X.
Deal with it.
Jul 4, 2006
395 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond hill
KorruptioN wrote: Good to see you already know the differences.
i did quite a bit of researching lately....lol....
as you might see i have started a few threads with noob questions....so it pays off...

anyways...what i will do is to go to a shop to try those out again, cause' to me the feel/grip is very important....

perhaps more people could give in some more input....
and/or might be some lens suggestions to go along with these 2 camera specifically.....i mostly do landscape....

thanks again
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Though small, I think the D40 has a great grip. I only find it awkward when in full manual mode, you need to hold that button and twirl the dial to change aperture.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3953 posts
18 upvotes
Close your eyes - which one feels more right on your hand?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2005
1147 posts
337 upvotes
Did you try the Pentax K10D? I love the feel and it is very solid build features. You can get one for $649.99 no tax from bccamera.ca
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
930929930 wrote: hi, i'm a noob...i have asked some questions previously on verious posts...
but now...i finally come down to these 2 options and i will get it this weekend....

nikon D40X
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 678&catid=
the weight is nice cause' it is small, nikon have one of the largest collection of lens...but...size is too small for nice grip, no info screen on the top....

sony A100K
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 776&catid=
nice solid feel although a bit bulky, super steady shot....but.....not many lens to choose from sony or minolta, noisey at iso800 or 1600, still have no info screen on the top

I went to the store to try the actual thing, both are actually not bad, sigh...that's why i m struggling.....

thanks in advance
:D
please give me some input as of which one to choose, thanks a million.....

Why dont you pick the brand that has the cheaper and higher quality lenses?

Do some research regarding the price of F2.8 zoom lenses and try to find out which brand you prefer more. Also another thing you should do is go to henry's and ask them if you can handle some of the sony lenses, and nikon and canon lenses...and then see which types of lenses you feel are built better, and see how they match up to the competition. Cause in the end, the body means practically nothing cause you'll be switching it as soon as you grow out of it. Your lenses however will stick with you for a long time.

Going with Sony is a good choice financially cause if you decide to get some decent lenses, those Minolta's can be had cheaply.
But I don't know how easily attainable they are, cause I've never looked into the demand for such a product.

Try my suggestion.
heatware available upon request
Jul 4, 2006
395 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond hill
bpopd wrote: Why dont you pick the brand that has the cheaper and higher quality lenses?

Do some research regarding the price of F2.8 zoom lenses and try to find out which brand you prefer more. Also another thing you should do is go to henry's and ask them if you can handle some of the sony lenses, and nikon and canon lenses...and then see which types of lenses you feel are built better, and see how they match up to the competition. Cause in the end, the body means practically nothing cause you'll be switching it as soon as you grow out of it. Your lenses however will stick with you for a long time.

Going with Sony is a good choice financially cause if you decide to get some decent lenses, those Minolta's can be had cheaply.
But I don't know how easily attainable they are, cause I've never looked into the demand for such a product.

Try my suggestion.
sorry for another noob question again...how come it has to be F2.8 specifically?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
The reason I chose F2.8 zoom lenses is because they are the most expensive.
I figure it'll give you an idea of the price pyramid which each manufacture has, knowing whats at the top of the pyramid, prices can only go lower.

But as long as you are comparing the same aperture lens together with competing manufacturers then you will be fine. It doesn't have to be F2.8 =)
heatware available upon request