Tags:
None
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada

Hi-Fi City @ Dufferin Mall

Has anyone shopped there before? It seems like all they have on hand are the display models. Are they peddling used goods? It's one of those Punjabi family owned business. I tried haggling with them on a pair of Sony EX71s but they wouldn't meet my asking price so never bought from them. Saw their TVs tonight and they looked good.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
135 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
Emancipated wrote:
Oct 19th, 2007 8:31 pm
Has anyone shopped there before? It seems like all they have on hand are the display models. Are they peddling used goods? It's one of those Punjabi family owned business. I tried haggling with them on a pair of Sony EX71s but they wouldn't meet my asking price so never bought from them. Saw their TVs tonight and they looked good.
i would never buy a tv from one of those places...because they can close down in a week and your screwed dealing with the manufacturer about the warranty
Sep 9, 2008
1 posts
Toronto
Red_Army wrote:
Oct 20th, 2007 12:34 pm
i would never buy a tv from one of those places...because they can close down in a week and your screwed dealing with the manufacturer about the warranty
Been using the site for a while but just joined...

I too have visited this store and the prices are great! however agreed with you on using a reliable store.

Emancipated --- you will likely be able to negotiated the same price at Best Buy or Future Shop if you are specific about the price and store.

Also try Telecity Electronics on Yonge St just north of college/carlton... good deals --- or G&G Electronics on Kingston Rd (for Sony and Panasonic).

Regards.
Dec 18, 2008
3 posts
canada
Emancipated wrote:
Oct 19th, 2007 8:31 pm
This guys are mixing brand new and refurbished stuff.Thats why you'll notice some of the boxes has letters like A,B,C & D.

I went there 3 years ago to buy a panasonic camcorder from this guys so i asked if it comes with international warranty(NOTE:panasonic products comes only with canadian warranty)and they told me,"YES" comes with it so even in asia it has warranty all you have to do is go to a SONY authorized service center.(A Panasonic product with sony warranty???very funny this people think all their customers are stupid.So,i told them im not going to buy the camera from them since they're lying in front of my face and suddenly the son of the owner(fisheyed punjabi guy)got mad and told us,YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO BUY A CAMERA SO GET THE F@*K OUT!!! They insulted me and my cousin infront of other customers that day!

This people will always tell you lies just to sell their products and they wont back you up when it comes to warranty.So beware of this guys especially that fish eyed monster looking guy!!!(Probably the son of the owner)
Banned
Feb 6, 2009
772 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Just a friendly warning. If you somehow end up buying a tv from one of these types of places, always check the bottom of the box and see if it was retaped with any visible missing cardboard paper.

I've heard of demo models being put back into box from the bottom so the customer thinks they are getting a new tv because the top of the box is unopened.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2006
1503 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
the guy offered me $1600 for a samsung ln46b610.

best price i've seen all around....anyone else have anything to say about this place?

they've been in business for many yrs now....

thanks.
[rfdlink=http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=48622]HeatWare[/rfdlink]
Samsung 2253BW widescreen 2ms response time
Intel core 2 duo E8400
Patriot viper series 4GB DDR2 pc6200 DDR800 dual channel ram
XFX nvidia 8800GT 255mb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
WD Caviar Black 1TB sata2 7200RPM HDD w/ 32mb cache
Logitech z560 4.1
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
3955 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
Dufferin Mall is ghetto .... why would you want to buy things in a small individual store inside?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Items 4 sale: Comp. | Cell. | Misc. | Auto
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Is this the electronics store at the corner near the food court, the one adjoining that beauty shop? The ones with all those flat-screen TV's cluttering their entrance?

If it is I have always had a nice experience with them and great low prices.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
3200 posts
240 upvotes
Buyer Beware! I too, visited this 'store' a while ago and remember seeing a SONY camera I had purchased almost 4 years earlier, that they were trying to pass off as a 'new' camera but it was clearly discontinued for a while! :!: :D
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
Raddo wrote:
May 27th, 2009 1:49 am
Buyer Beware! I too, visited this 'store' a while ago and remember seeing a SONY camera I had purchased almost 4 years earlier, that they were trying to pass off as a 'new' camera but it was clearly discontinued for a while! :!: :D
They probably meant it was NEW to you!lol =P

I don't buy from those small stores owned by those ppl. Their sales pitch always includes "Yes sir, that is BEST PRICE I am giving you! You can't find it anywhere else!" *w/ a accent* SIGH!* Lucky for me I was bored and had time to kill, since the girlfriend was in her "god should forbid" clothing stores for many long minutes.
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
darkprince wrote:
May 27th, 2009 4:45 am
They probably meant it was NEW to you!lol =P

I don't buy from those small stores owned by those ppl. Their sales pitch always includes "Yes sir, that is BEST PRICE I am giving you! You can't find it anywhere else!" *w/ a accent* SIGH!* Lucky for me I was bored and had time to kill, since the girlfriend was in her "god should forbid" clothing stores for many long minutes.
+1

I tried to buy a new charger for my MP4 chinese music player at the electronics store owned by some south asians at Yorgate Mall (the store is adjacent to the Bell store in that mall) and the guy tried to sell me one for $15 and "no tax". Did this guy think I was a noob? The charger is cheaply-made and my MP4 costed me $35 with it included. I didn't even replied back, just turned around and left, I finally bought it for $5 at Dixon Flea Market the following weekend.
Jan 12, 2009
15 posts
1 upvote
I bought a LN52B610 from them...got a great deal and they delivered it the same day. The tv is awesome and the service was great. I dealt with Mike and I would definetly recommend this store.
Aug 25, 2009
45 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
i think it's sad how slavish people here are to Best Buy and Future Shop, as though they are the most honourable of businesses.

In fact, I just bought a TV at Hi-Fi (Samsung 32" 720p) for $50 less than the cheapest next place, Best Buy. After I got home and read up on Hi Fi -- here-- I was worried that maybe it was refurbished or something. So I called Samsung, gave them the serial #, and they affirmed that it was brand new and under manufacturer warranty.

If you don't know your stuff, maybe you will get ripped off. But I don't think anyone here is of that sort, so I wouldn't worry about it.

They don't have the greatest return policy, but it's precisely because they don't that their prices are good. It's because you can return whatever at the big stores that you pay more in the first place.
Aug 13, 2008
646 posts
42 upvotes
toronto
Even though they have been there for a while I never bought anything from there as I found them too expensive.
Dec 10, 2007
44 posts
Has anybody had any recent experience with this store?
They had some pretty good prices for their TV's (got offered $999 for the samsung ln40b650).
Was thinking about buying from them but their sales associates weren't exactly the most knowledgable or friendly.
× < >