HID Car Help! [Nissan]

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2015 9:22 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1001 posts
165 upvotes
It's not as bad as everyone is saying. Installed Hids on my 07 Altima and was very impressed. Install is easier if you remove the bumper cover. A few screws and plastic pop rivets, and the cover is off. Mount the ballasts, wire it up (a relay kit is a good idea), swap the bulbs and test. If everything is working, I recommend wrapping some electrical tape around the connections for better waterproofing and reinstall the bumper cover. Also a good time to check the level of the headlights and adjust as necessary. Makes a difference driving the dark highways I take.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28777 posts
14586 upvotes
Ottawa
canadiantj wrote:
May 27th, 2015 3:39 pm
It's not as bad as everyone is saying. Installed Hids on my 07 Altima and was very impressed. Install is easier if you remove the bumper cover. A few screws and plastic pop rivets, and the cover is off. Mount the ballasts, wire it up (a relay kit is a good idea), swap the bulbs and test. If everything is working, I recommend wrapping some electrical tape around the connections for better waterproofing and reinstall the bumper cover. Also a good time to check the level of the headlights and adjust as necessary. Makes a difference driving the dark highways I take.
Trust me..,it's bad.

HID without projectors (look at the glare)
[IMG]http://www.suzuki-forums.com/attachment ... ghbeam.jpg[/IMG]

HID with proper projectors (very little glare, light is nice and focus)
[IMG]http://cdn.automoblog.net/wp-content/up ... a-HIDs.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12830 posts
1638 upvotes
Toronto
The kit will work in your car. It's best to use a relay harness to avoid any future issues with your vehicles electronic modules which will cost hundreds to fix. It really depends on how sensitive your vehicle is to the burst of energy draw going from your OEM socket to the ballast. I recommend a relay harness to bypass the vehicles OEM wiring. You purchased an okay hid kit. It's not the best but it surely isn't the worst.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14184 posts
3528 upvotes
London
op, try the h9 mod/ conversion first to see if its good enough. The light output of h9 is about 2000+ lumens vs about 1300 lumen for an h11

A pair of regular h9 bulbs is about $25 at any CT/partsource/walmart and the mod takes less than 30 mins

Best of all, its compatible with your stock wiring and connectors so its 100% reversible. Its also 100%/compatible with your existing stock halogen reflectors so the light pattern and aiming doesn't change.

The downside is the bulb life is a lot shorter
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7105 posts
3296 upvotes
Kootenays
canadiantj wrote:
May 27th, 2015 3:39 pm
It's not as bad as everyone is saying. Installed Hids on my 07 Altima and was very impressed. Also a good time to check the level of the headlights and adjust as necessary. Makes a difference driving the dark highways I take.
What about the other drivers on the road, or do they matter?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1001 posts
165 upvotes
smacd wrote:
May 27th, 2015 7:00 pm
Sure they do. The altima headlamp, with proper aiming, doesn't scatter the light as much as other cars can. I was never highbeamed in the 8 years I had it. Check out nissanclub.com if you don't believe.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1724 posts
221 upvotes
RMB
smacd wrote:
I doubted it will border the other drivers at all. Someone might think himself looking cool on the road with all the shinny light, but to the others he is just a nobody driving a pos with imitating hid lights. More like a laughing stock on the road I guess.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1288 posts
263 upvotes
GVRD
smacd wrote:
To these dolts, no.

These light kits look like sh*t, perform like sh*t and are distracting/dangerous for other drivers on the road.

To anyone that installs these, I hope they overheat and melt your housing. thx
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5498 posts
1653 upvotes
Space
If you can't afford to pay for a proper retrofit, don't bother installing HIDs. Even if you aim them lower, you still blind others.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1782 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga
canadiantj wrote:
May 27th, 2015 7:56 pm
Sure they do. The altima headlamp, with proper aiming, doesn't scatter the light as much as other cars can. I was never highbeamed in the 8 years I had it. Check out nissanclub.com if you don't believe.
Just because you've never been high beamed doesn't mean that it didn't bother others. I, for one, never high beam anybody because their lights are blinding me. I just get out of the way or ignore it. I figure that they won't care enough to do anything about it anyways. This goes with most of the other car enthusiasts I know too.

But hey, feel free to put HID's in your reflector housing if you really want to. There are worse things I see on the road than worry about people's headlights.
Solsearchin1 wrote:
May 28th, 2015 1:56 am
If you can't afford to pay for a proper retrofit, don't bother installing HIDs. Even if you aim them lower, you still blind others.
Word to big bird lol.