Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9624 posts
2463 upvotes

Hidden Travel Pouch

I am planning to buy this to store all my money and passport when traveling abroad.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Black-Travel ... rmvSB=true

Any feedback? Or suggestions for other hidden travel pouches?
Mostly concerned about the quality (don't want the plastic to snap and then can't carry it around my waist)
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16868 posts
9208 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
1. Black is probably not a good colour unless you dress goth. Consider white or flesh tone if you dress in light coloured clothing or in thin/sheer fabrics.
2. I wouldn't trust valuables like cash and passport to some $3.99 Chinese item on eBay. Go to some place like MEC and spend a few dollars more for better quality. If you do cheap out, examine the pouch carefully to make sure the stitching is good and solid. Reinforce if necessary.
3. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Consider spreading your cash in several locations, e.g. a pouch like this one, a money belt, a leg pouch, a wallet, etc.
4. Scan your passport and other ID like driver's license, health card, credit cards, etc. into a PDF and e-mail it to yourself using a web-accessible system like gmail or hotmail. Then if you lose your ID you can go to any police station or consulate, login to their computer and show them the copies.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5707 posts
1534 upvotes
Montreal
Honestly, these things are garbage. They're uncomfortable (especially in hot weather) and inconvenient. There's no discreet way to access them which probably makes you more of a target.

When I went to Manila for a few months for work, I picked one up. I probably wore it 4 or 5 times. I brought it when I spent 4 weeks in Europe and never bothered to put it on.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1678 posts
381 upvotes
I agree they're uncomfortable to wear but don't recommend spending more on a 'better quality' one. They're all the same and the usage is the same - your only hope of avoiding pick pockets by hiding it under a shirt. If you were getting mugged and are asked to hand over your valuables they'll obviously see the pouch.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11635 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
You can get belts with hidden pockets for cash. No thief is gonna ask you to undo your pants ;)