• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2014 3:09 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1440 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
hmmm tempting.. $24 for a year is not too bad at all.
I might go for it
Mar 8, 2004
622 posts
49 upvotes
Brampton
I decided to pull the trigger and sign up as well. I just want the DNS proxy access anyways. Don't care about the VPN as much.

Sorry I did. I havent been able to access netflix at all and hulu still reports I'm an international customer. Tried changing computer DNS, Apple TV DNS, and even router. None worked.

I've requested a refund, lets see how it goes...
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1440 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
TheDoctah wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 8:03 am
I decided to pull the trigger and sign up as well. I just want the DNS proxy access anyways. Don't care about the VPN as much.

Sorry I did. I havent been able to access netflix at all and hulu still reports I'm an international customer. Tried changing computer DNS, Apple TV DNS, and even router. None worked.

I've requested a refund, lets see how it goes...
Did you even read the Setup page on their website?

You realize that you need to "authorize" your ip for it to work (just like unblockus, uno telly etc.. )
http://hidemynet.com/setup/
Aug 28, 2007
191 posts
17 upvotes
Thanks OP!
How long this sale will last?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2635 upvotes
Vancouver
If you are thinking about using this VPN, you need to read Michael Geist's blog today. A recent court case decided that a Canadian resident can be sued in a U.S. court if they used a U.S.-based server for an illegal data transfer. If you think it's scary being sued for copyright infringement in a Canadian court, it would be so much worse in a U.S. court, where there is no $5000 limit. This VPN uses servers in the U.S.. Draw your own conclusions.
Nov 6, 2007
220 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been doing some research on this and stubled across http://www.bestvpnservice.com/top-ten-providers.php. They've got PureVPN rated as #1 and reviews seem to be really good from customers. Their pricing seems pretty competitive for the security they are reporting - $160 if you sign-up for 1-year on their unlimited plan.

Does anyone here have any experience or maybe more educated in VPN services that could comment?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1440 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
junkyjunky wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 11:10 am
I've been doing some research on this and stubled across http://www.bestvpnservice.com/top-ten-providers.php. They've got PureVPN rated as #1 and reviews seem to be really good from customers. Their pricing seems pretty competitive for the security they are reporting - $160 if you sign-up for 1-year on their unlimited plan.

Does anyone here have any experience or maybe more educated in VPN services that could comment?
depending what you want to use the VPN for.. i have used Witopia in the past for a few years and i was really happy with the speeds, uptime and support.
They are really cheap also.. PPTP is around $50 for a year

If your going to do anything remotely illegal, you will want to go with a provider that is not in the USA or Canada
Jul 23, 2005
703 posts
90 upvotes
Montreal
Is the HK server fast enough to watch TVB?
Nov 6, 2007
220 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
delavoie wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 11:31 am
depending what you want to use the VPN for.. i have used Witopia in the past for a few years and i was really happy with the speeds, uptime and support.
They are really cheap also.. PPTP is around $50 for a year

If your going to do anything remotely illegal, you will want to go with a provider that is not in the USA or Canada
How important is OpenVPN? I've read some comments indicating that they would buy a service that doesn't offer it. PureVPN is #1 rated, but doesn't offer that protocol - does that make it less secure? slower? Sorry for all the NOOB questions.
Nov 6, 2007
220 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
Clee wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 11:49 am
I'm not an expert, but I think you'd pick a server in the country you want to stream from (assuming there's restriction for it coming directly to Canada). So you wouldn't necessarily be using the HK server for US content as an example.
Mar 21, 2009
176 posts
39 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Clee wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 11:49 am
This is so far the lowest price VPN server/month with HK server so I signed up yesterday also.

With PPTP VPN, I was having issue connecting to tvb.com or mytv.tvb.com (pages doesn't load). I have then tried HTTP proxy and I can watch it, but the streaming lag every 15seconds or so...........

I will try once more again tonight with OpenVPN and see how it goes. Speedtest.net to one of the HK server (from here to HK VPN server to speedtest server) shows that I have constant ~1.2mbps download and ~1mbps upload.
× < >