[Netflix] hidemynet.com VPN / DNS Redirector proxy $24.50/year for life

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2014 3:09 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3162 posts
514 upvotes
Yes, never use an American or British VPN if you care about absolute privacy.

I use BolehVPN, which is based in Malaysia, and has the best and most forthcoming privacy policy I could find. Nice service too.
Dec 24, 2012
50 posts
1 upvote
WOODBRIDGE
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 12:43 pm
Yes, never use an American or British VPN if you care about absolute privacy.

I use BolehVPN, which is based in Malaysia, and has the best and most forthcoming privacy policy I could find. Nice service too.
Hmmm .. very interesting and I noticed they don't keep logs. How long have you been with them and how much do you pay? If you don't mind me asking that is :) I am a newbie to VPN and am still reading up .. so far this one looks promising. I ain't looking to do torrents, mainly Netflix from U.S. or abroad.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3162 posts
514 upvotes
It is $85 a year I think. It is a bit expensive, but worth it IMO. It has been reliable so far.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1440 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
junkyjunky wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 12:02 pm
How important is OpenVPN? I've read some comments indicating that they would buy a service that doesn't offer it. PureVPN is #1 rated, but doesn't offer that protocol - does that make it less secure? slower? Sorry for all the NOOB questions.
All comes down to what you want to use your VPN for..
If you need much higher privacy and security, your choice is most likely going to be Open VPN. If you’re looking for something easy to setup, PPTP is probably going to be better suited for what you need. If you need mobile support you will will be better off with PPTP VPN. (iOS doesn't support openvpn)
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1440 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
urban786 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 12:49 pm
Hmmm .. very interesting and I noticed they don't keep logs. How long have you been with them and how much do you pay? If you don't mind me asking that is :) I am a newbie to VPN and am still reading up .. so far this one looks promising. I ain't looking to do torrents, mainly Netflix from U.S. or abroad.
There seems to be lots of confusion on what people need to purchase in order to watch USA netflix or Hulu etc..
I will try and clear it up for you.

VPN (PPTP, Open VPN, IPsec, L2TP)
This will give you great security.
You will mostly use a vpn on your pc, most devices don't have a option to connect to a vpn.
What i did in the past is connect to the VPN on my router (must have a router that allows PPTP passthrough)
Once connected to the VPN all devices on this router are going through this VPN.

Use a VPN is you want to protect yourself while downloading torrents, or if you plan on doing anything else shaddy online.

A VPN is kinda overkill if you just want to watch Netflix USA in Canada.

If you only want to access geoblocked services in Canada, you are better off getting a service that is a DNS proxy like unblockus, ***** or this service.
It's much easier to use and you simply need to change the DNS on the equipment that you'll be using, like apple tv or your PS3 etc..
Running VPN's on routers is not for beginners, DNS proxies are as easy as it get's.
Dec 24, 2012
50 posts
1 upvote
WOODBRIDGE
delavoie wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 1:21 pm
There seems to be lots of confusion on what people need to purchase in order to watch USA netflix or Hulu etc..
I will try and clear it up for you.

VPN (PPTP, Open VPN, IPsec, L2TP)
This will give you great security.
You will mostly use a vpn on your pc, most devices don't have a option to connect to a vpn.
What i did in the past is connect to the VPN on my router (must have a router that allows PPTP passthrough)
Once connected to the VPN all devices on this router are going through this VPN.

Use a VPN is you want to protect yourself while downloading torrents, or if you plan on doing anything else shaddy online.

A VPN is kinda overkill if you just want to watch Netflix USA in Canada.

If you only want to access geoblocked services in Canada, you are better off getting a service that is a DNS proxy like unblockus, ***** or this service.
It's much easier to use and you simply need to change the DNS on the equipment that you'll be using, like apple tv or your PS3 etc..
Running VPN's on routers is not for beginners, DNS proxies are as easy as it get's.
Thanks for the clarification! :D A lot of good info here and saves me and others some money too ..

.. quick question though, getting access to geoblocked sites (netflix etc), would it be considered illegal though? I am not saving anything on my side and am legally paying for service (such as netflix canada) and just want access to more media. Couldn't find info on this topic really ..

Right now I am testing Unblock-US. Seems to be pretty good and stable and the $5 a month is reasonable complimenting the $8 a month Netflix is more than enough content for me. Seldom I might dip into Hulu as I need though :)
Dec 27, 2007
10705 posts
3308 upvotes
Kitchener
urban786 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 2:23 pm
Right now I am testing Unblock-US. Seems to be pretty good and stable and the $5 a month is reasonable complimenting the $8 a month Netflix is more than enough content for me. Seldom I might dip into Hulu as I need though :)
So why pay $5 when you can get the same service for $2
You don't really have to use VPN from HMN, they have similar service to unblock-US included in the $24 annual subscription ..
http://cp.hidemynet.com/knowledgebase.p ... icle&id=27

Edit: I see "hidemynet" just registered and is present on this thread, so go ahead and have a go at the guy ;)
Ascend Y300 Owners thread (Unlock, Root and Debrand)
LG G2 Owners thread (Unlock, Root and Debrand)
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1440 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
urban786 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification! :D A lot of good info here and saves me and others some money too ..

.. quick question though, getting access to geoblocked sites (netflix etc), would it be considered illegal though? I am not saving anything on my side and am legally paying for service (such as netflix canada) and just want access to more media. Couldn't find info on this topic really ..

aasoror wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 2:30 pm
So why pay $5 when you can get the same service for $2
You don't really have to use VPN from HMN, they have similar service to unblock-US included in the $24 annual subscription ..
http://cp.hidemynet.com/knowledgebase.p ... icle&id=27
aasoror is correct.. why pay $5 to unblock-us when the coupon in this thread will give you a VPN and DNS server for $24?
The DNS server service is the same thing that unblockus gives you.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1440 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
urban786 wrote:

I don't think it's illegal, it might be against their policy, but i seriously doubt anyone would bring you to court over it.
Jan 14, 2013
86 posts
20 upvotes
I've been searching google wondering how quickly it would take for this code to proliferate itself into the general public. Turns out, it's about 3 days.

How long will the code remain active? I'm not really sure as of yet; Another week at least. This being the first sort of email we've sent out, it will be longer as we're gauging customer response times to the email.

Clee: The hong kong bandwidth is far to expensive to be able to provide streaming level quality of bandwidth in HK. It's more just to provide low latency web access for users inside china. I do not expect that you would be able to stream content over it.

Bman77: I believe i spoke with you (if I'm assuming correctly that you are who I think you are) regarding your playstation netflix problems. As I mentioned in the support ticket, we had not yet received our in-house playstation 3 for testing. We received that today, and the playstation 3 is now working flawlessly (at least from asia) with netflix/hulu. As I mentioned in the ticket when I refunded you, the code will be active for some time if you'd like to sign up again.

junkyjunky: OpenVPN is really only necessary when security is an issue. If you're only a public wifi hotspot, or located in a country with internet restrictions (with the exception of china who are now automatically detecting and blocking openvpn server locations, a fall back to L2TP is necessary there.) Generally speaking, the higher the level of encryption, the more cpu it's going to consume simply keeping the connection open (which can be an issue if you're using a netbook, or other low power device), and the more bandwidth is necessary to transmit the data (since the amount of data increases proportional to the strength of the encryption).

With regards to the techdirt article. This is an american established company, under american jurisdiction. This means I have to be very careful with how I conduct myself with regards to copyright complaints. Kim "dotcom" had his life destroyed for little more than serving ads on pages that contain pirated software/movies. I'm sorry, but I will not allow my life to be destroyed for a 5$ vpn account so you can download some TV shows/movies that you couldn't bother sitting through advertisements to watch. An example of this, today I received copyright complaint on our new york server for content that is freely available with advertisements on any USA location. In cases like this, I have no sympathy. We will continue to actively suspend and terminate when necessary users who generate DMCA complaints as described in our Acceptable Use Policy (http://www.hidemynet.com/AUP.html). With regards to the inaccuracies in the techdirt article, as I mentioned in my reply there, the tech was confused between the DMCA and the CAN-Spam act of 2003 which does include monetary penalties.

If anyone has any questions regarding the service, feel free to ask, I will check this page a few more times in the coming days. If you have a problem with the service, I would suggest you contact support. It's far more likely a technician would be able to assist you with our service than other forum posters.
Dec 24, 2012
50 posts
1 upvote
WOODBRIDGE
Thanks again all :)

With Hidemynet .. is there is a bandwidth limit for traffic? Hidemynet if you are actually from the site, could you comment? I am seriously thinking about your service. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1440 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
hidemynet wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 2:42 pm
There is no bandwidth limitation.
Thanks for coming in to inform us.

1 question for you.
If i were to use your DNS service, am i able to use the DNS on multiple devices within my home.
example: i have a boxee box, ATV and PS3,
If i purchase a 1 year sub, can i use your USA dns on all three devices?
Jan 14, 2013
86 posts
20 upvotes
delavoie wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 2:37 pm
I don't think it's illegal, it might be against their policy, but i seriously doubt anyone would bring you to court over it.
It's a violation of the contract between netflix and their content suppliers. Generally speaking, they don't care, I've never once had any US service block my IP addresses. I've had BBC block my IP addresses twice, but I can understand that as it's a member/tax paid for service as opposed to an advertisement funded service. It may be a violation of your agreement with netflix (I've never actually read the netflix terms of service, but I would be surprised if there was NOT some clause in there allowing them to cancel your account for these reasons). I can safely say it's not a criminal offense to use a VPN/Proxy to access blocked media.

If you're traveling in for instance say china, they may have laws that forbid VPN/Proxy usage to bypass the great firewall; but that's not relevant to streaming media services in the US, or anywhere else.
Jan 14, 2013
86 posts
20 upvotes
delavoie wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 2:50 pm
Thanks for coming in to inform us.

1 question for you.
If i were to use your DNS service, am i able to use the DNS on multiple devices within my home.
example: i have a boxee box, ATV and PS3,
If i purchase a 1 year sub, can i use your USA dns on all three devices?
Yes, our proxy access is by ip address, as long as all your devices have the same ip address, they can all use the service.
× < >