High density subdivision housing

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 8:45 pm
Mar 16, 2010
69 posts
12 upvotes

High density subdivision housing

Hi guys,

I'm in BC and I currently own a small condo downtown. I'm looking to move into a bigger place (hopefully a house) and my budget constraints have expanded my search all the way out to Langley so far.

In Langley, there are parcels of lands purchased by developers and turning into high density subdivision housing. (i.e 3,000 ~ 4,000 sqft houses sitting on 3,000 ~ 4,000 sqft lands close to one another).

What do you think of these? On one hand it is what I can offer and I do like what's inside as they are newly built. On the other hand the entire neighborhood feels like a cookie cut neighborhood with identical looking houses knitted tightly to each other.

Is this the new trend that the millenials have to accept and live with or are these covered with red flags especially when it comes to potential for appreciation of the value?

Please share your opinions!
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Langley is pretty far out there. I absolutely detest the new build subdivisions where you could reach over and borrow a roll of toilet paper from your neighbour through the window. Yuck. I hate the ugliness of lots filled almost completely with house and no trees. All of these cookie cutter subdivisions just look soulless to me.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote: Langley is pretty far out there. I absolutely detest the new build subdivisions where you could reach over and borrow a roll of toilet paper from your neighbour through the window. Yuck. I hate the ugliness of lots filled almost completely with house and no trees. All of these cookie cutter subdivisions just look soulless to me.
Agree! I also don't understand the need for 3,000-4,000 sq ft houses. Maybe on acreage. Why move from downtown? You want something bigger?
Oct 13, 2011
853 posts
715 upvotes
OttawaGardener wrote: Agree! I also don't understand the need for 3,000-4,000 sq ft houses. Maybe on acreage.
An in-law suite / rental unit to help out with the mortgage, we are talking about Greater Vancouver here where most homes have a mortgage helper.
Mar 16, 2010
69 posts
12 upvotes
Yeah. In downtown Vancouver, a 2-bedroom apartment at 1,200 sqft sells for $1.5 ~ $1.7M. I can't afford it and even if I could, I wouldn't.

My family is growing (currently 3 with a 3 year old, and planning a second one), and hence the need to move out...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
yuliskorean wrote: Yeah. In downtown Vancouver, a 2-bedroom apartment at 1,200 sqft sells for $1.5 ~ $1.7M. I can't afford it and even if I could, I wouldn't.

My family is growing (currently 3 with a 3 year old, and planning a second one), and hence the need to move out...
I left the west coast (Victoria) and it is seriously the best thing I ever did. My family are still there, but I will never move back. Vancouver is twice as bad as Victoria. I would not try to make a life there with a family.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Depends on the person and your needs:

Some families need the big house but not a big yard.

Some want yard but smaller house

Some both

See what you need... these days no one can be bothered with maintaining huge lawns.

Go with what you want and need and can afford.
Banned
Jan 13, 2019
22 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
One of the patterns of the housing boom.
Builders trying to maximize profits for their vacant land. Not much variety in styles or floorplans. Small front yard therefore small driveway. Little space between neighbours. Narrow streets.
Try looking at older neighbourhoods. You can always reno to get more of what you really want.
Mar 16, 2010
69 posts
12 upvotes
May I ask where you moved to? I did consider relocating to Montreal as I go there for work a few times a year, but it's a tough call because of the cold and long winter and the language.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
4498 posts
6936 upvotes
Somewhere in AB
yuliskorean wrote: May I ask where you moved to? I did consider relocating to Montreal as I go there for work a few times a year, but it's a tough call because of the cold and long winter and the language.
That's a small price to pay considering what you gain.

I also left Vancouver and am so happy that I did. Of course I miss my family & friends, but I visit them often and do not miss Vancouver AT ALL.
"You don’t need to sacrifice stability, common sense, and comfort if a 1% bond still lets you achieve your financial goals." M. Housel
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
yuliskorean wrote: May I ask where you moved to? I did consider relocating to Montreal as I go there for work a few times a year, but it's a tough call because of the cold and long winter and the language.
Ottawa. I make a lot more money here doing the same work I did out west (and I'm not bilingual since I was raised in Victoria). The winter is fine. I find it a lot less miserable than the grey, wet, damp cold out west that goes on for several months. Sunshine helps a lot. Cold you can easily dress for, and as soon as you are inside you are warm (not like out west where the damp gets right into your bones). The temperature doesn't get that cold out West, but with the wind coming off the ocean and that wet air it sure can feel it. And, I like the hot summer here. The only thing I miss about Victoria is jogging outside all year. Here in Ottawa I am stuck on a treadmill for about 4 months of the year. Some people jog outside all winter, but I think they are nuts.
Jul 26, 2015
517 posts
604 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
yuliskorean wrote: Hi guys,

I'm in BC and I currently own a small condo downtown. I'm looking to move into a bigger place (hopefully a house) and my budget constraints have expanded my search all the way out to Langley so far.

In Langley, there are parcels of lands purchased by developers and turning into high density subdivision housing. (i.e 3,000 ~ 4,000 sqft houses sitting on 3,000 ~ 4,000 sqft lands close to one another).

What do you think of these? On one hand it is what I can offer and I do like what's inside as they are newly built. On the other hand the entire neighborhood feels like a cookie cut neighborhood with identical looking houses knitted tightly to each other.

Is this the new trend that the millenials have to accept and live with or are these covered with red flags especially when it comes to potential for appreciation of the value?

Please share your opinions!
The extra appreciation for single family homes comes from 2 factors:
1. You can rebuild once the house is too old;
2. You can subdivide or rezone the lot later on.
This is it. If you get a new house on a 3000 sq.ft. parcel then neither #2 nor #1 do not apply in the next 30 years. You are in line with the townhomes in terms of appreciation potential.

The savings from owning a single family home come from the other 2 factors:
1. No strata fees.
2. Possible rental unit serving as a mortgage helper.
Both may apply for a new built home on a 3000 sq.ft. lot. If this is what you are looking for - go for it.

In terms of location. Unless you rely on HWY1 for your daily commute, I would certainly look into South Surrey, the area of 16 Ave / 168 st. A lot of homes fit you criteria in that area, the area is slightly better than Langley. Unless you rely on HWY1.

Good luck with your search.
Mar 16, 2010
69 posts
12 upvotes
Thanks for your insightful advice!

I will definitely look into south surrey as well. What do you think of willoughby? Im looking at a couple of options that are close to the carlvoth bus loop as I can take the express bus into lougheed and then get to downtown from there.
Dec 13, 2018
6 posts
3 upvotes
I moved from a Toronto condo to a detached suburb house and it's worth it. The space, the backyard, the no condo rules, no condo fees,...well worth it.

And if you can handle living in a condo, you can surely handle living in a neighborhood with houses close to each other.

But we did visit a lot of subdivisions to make sure we were buy6 a house we loved, in subdivision we loved. If you are going to spend that much money, you should make sure you love what you're buying. Same goes for condos btw.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
MortgageSlayer wrote: ...
But we did visit a lot of subdivisions to make sure we were buy6 a house we loved, in subdivision we loved. If you are going to spend that much money, you should make sure you love what you're buying. Same goes for condos btw.
This.

Subdivisions and condos are commodities. They are "Little boxes" - look up the song. So many are homogenous that you have to find one that will make it "worth it" for you - whether it's being close to family, transit, a big park etc...
Jul 26, 2015
517 posts
604 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
yuliskorean wrote: Thanks for your insightful advice!

I will definitely look into south surrey as well. What do you think of willoughby? Im looking at a couple of options that are close to the carlvoth bus loop as I can take the express bus into lougheed and then get to downtown from there.
The location only depends on your daily commute requirements. Both Langley and South Surrey are somewhat remote. If you need to be in Richmond every second day - pick South Surrey, if you need to go to Vancouver, then Willoughby is a better location. Burnaby is kind of a draw :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)